Anyone Own A Freelander?

mates got one....bmw engine....the rest of it is wreak....no windows work...it wouldnt move few weeks ago...and theres other things wrong with it along list...stay away from them at all costs..i think one of fuel pumps went hes had drop links put in no long ago ..one of drop links went a again few months later....i think its funny as hell afterall its no my motor lol...keep buying them i say and ill keep laughing .

Edited by MR RABBIT
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had two of them (obviously I'm even dafter than I look! ) when they're working they drive and handle very nicely for a 4x4 on the road and aren't bad off it either. The issues I found were that the tc was good if you didn't know how to drive if it was a bit slippy but was a hindrence if you did, then there was the reliability! In 4 years doing about 10k a year I had two dual mass fly wheels break up, 3 clutch slave cylinders go (cheap part but a split the engigine/transmission job), viscous coupling failure, propshaft bearing failure, burnt out fuel injector loom, abs failure, SRS light coming on, knackered synchro on 3rd gear, repeated blown turbo hoses and of course the way the rain finds its way in (especially in to the under floor storage in the boot!)! Thats just the things that stick in my head, I'm a landrover fan born and bred but I wouldn't ever touch another freelander again! Not meaning to put you off or anything ;)

Avoid the 1.8 petrol like the plague!!! My old man had one, looked after it religiously. Never off loaded it, never drove fast,...... yet it's head gasket went. The 1.8 petrol is a BAD engine. It's the same engine from the MGF 1.8 that also had loads of problems.

Do yourself a favour and keep an eye out for a diesel.