Do You Buy An Air Rifle With Your Head Or You Heart.do You Buy

I've done both, bought an AAs410 after spending a lot of time researching so that I could make an informed choice and buy the right gun first time. After that I impulse bought an r10 purely on the looks of it. Now I've applied for my FAC one needs to be traded in for a rimfire and I have no hesitation in picking, its the s410 that's going so my advice would be look at a few, shoulder them and go with your gut! The sensible choice is rarely the more fun (if that was the case we'd all be living with grumpy, large middle aged women rather than blonde 18 year old nymphomaniacs :D oh reality checks are always a downer ;( )

• Like 3

There is a truth to be said with all rifles that, if a rifle looks right, it will perform right. For you that is.

BUYING WITH MY HEART BASED ON THE TRUTH ABOVE.

The Daystate Huntsman classic PCP looks bang on beautiful. I bought my missus one in .177 for her target shooting needs and it was superb from the get go. So, on the back of this delightful experience, I bought the Daystate Regal for myself.

The Regal, again, looks right. Absolutely bang-on right and beautiful. Especially for its classical hunting rifle lines.. BUT. It dissapoints in too low power output that needs to be tuned up before you can successfully hunt with it. But at least Daystate are recognising the issues with this rifle and are putting things right.

AIR ARMS TX200 .22.

It looks beautiful and, as Air Arms will not make the Prosport in left handed versions, it was a compromise on a rifle I dearly fell in love with but could not have. Air Arms make the TX200 series in left handed versions so, there it was. For some reason I had a strange experience with it. I could zero it to a single pellet hole at 30 metres. When I had a rabbit in my scope at that range it missed! Every time. After owning it for 10 years most of which time it spent being left in the cabinet in favour of my HW rifles that came along after it. I traded it for the HW97K I now have. Never looked back.

BUYING WITH MY HEAD. BASED ON THE TRUTH ABOVE.

My HW80 .22.

I bought it 17 years ago and tuned it up to 21+ Ft/lbs energy on my FAC. I needed a high power, high velocity spring rifle and this one is a gem. I reckon the HW80 is still the world's best break barrel air rifle. It is easy to work on, easy to maintain and never, ever fails me in the field. It has been my go-to rifle whenever I have long range rabbits, Squirrels and Mink to deal witth; from day one to this one.

My HW77 .22

Having been completely won over to Weihrach by the HW80, I bought the HW77 for its fixed barrel accuracy and one which was hailed as an air gun legend from the day it came out. As with the HW80, I bought it on the back of reading endless reviews of how incredxibly well this rifle performed. It has lived up to its legend in every way and I cannot fault it. Not the prettiest rifle ever. But just the best. And in a plain sort of way she is very beautiful. Mine handles like an old Lee Enfield rifle but, as an ex-military marksman, I love that and probably explains why I get on so well with her.

My HW97K .177

I bought it after trading in my TX200 rifle solely on the practical enjoyment I got from my other HW rifles. Never looked back!

Simon

• Like 3

Never ever buy a rifle because it looks good because alas most cheep rifle makers are very very good at making the rifle look good

O ill have this one it looks like a sniper rifle it must be good but its not .

but for me , when it comes to the pro sport ,iv had three of them its with my heart and my head

Now the hw97s , iv had that many iv lost count and that is one rifle that is all my HEART there is just some thing about it the way it looks and the way it shoots that pulls on my heart strings iv got one hell of a soft spot for them full stop

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by bigmac 97kt
  • Like 3

With PCP's its always been bolts for me. I just love bolt actions. That certainty, and the wish that they were SMLE's. That clunk. Then I wandered into Daystate and had the opposite experience to Simon. Its gone now. Because a man came out of the south and spoke thus....."Get thee an HW100". Well this mystical man wrote wondrous words and claimeth great things for this German.

So I put my prejudice aside and gotteth one. Love it as well.

Also woodwork rocks my boat, I love all wood. Also Rowan bits, I love Rowan stick ons.

Present PCP armoury.

S410 in .22 for rabbits.

Ultra in .177 for pigeon and rats.

HW100 for not decided yet, still playing with it and feeding the stock with oil.

All carbines though, I love shorts. So, with me looks go a long way. I hate the buddy bottle, ugly. I hate the militaristic stuff as well, Evanix and black rifle wanabees. Don't like the laminate stocks either, too flash.

Old traditional fart.

Finally, cannot stand my lads Mk4 electronic tomfoolery. Its not a rifle. Its a gadget.

• Like 3

Ive done bothe in the past 50years and had hundreds of guns, but as my good mate sean says you can only shoot one, a average year id buy 14 guns and most were sold within weeks,i now have the gun I feel comfortable with my famouse tx200, so no more buying guns for me hopefully

• Like 2

Ive done bothe in the past 50years and had hundreds of guns, but as my good mate sean says you can only shoot one, a average year id buy 14 guns and most were sold within weeks,i now have the gun I feel comfortable with my famouse tx200, so no more buying guns for me hopefully

you will you cant help your self lol :D :D :D

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

As below, heart leads me most when buying! If the quality's right, it feels right and looks right, it's right!

HW 77 - Head, it was a gift!

HW 97 - Heart and Simon's comments on them.

S 410c - Head but now heart

HW100 - Heart - no longer with me

R10 mk1 - Heart - XTX tuned, head

R10 Mk2 - Heart but a gift none the less

BSA Lightning - Wife!

• Like 2

At the moment I have three guns.

Two of them are models of guns I've owned previously.

I had a mk3 TX200 .177 & a mk3 S200 .22 a couple of years ago, for various reasons I sold the pair of them. They were both 'heart' purchases.

It didn't take long before my head said "why did you sell them?". So I started to look to replace them, last September a mk2 TX200hc .22 became available, followed in October by a mk3 S200 in .177....I bought both of them. These were most definitely 'head' purchases.

My third gun was a 'head' purchase - a .177 HW97kt in .177. After buying it I wasn't really happy with the way it performed, it was running HOT and inaccurate. I removed all its pre-load...leaving it at 11.8fpe but still not accurate enough. My heart said "sell it"! My head said "tuning kit". My head won. I ordered a Wonky Donky service kit, it arrived two days later. I fitted it, and my 97kt is now at 10.75fpe and deadly accurate. So the head made a correct decision. I'm happy to say that now all three of my guns share "head 'n heart" attributes.

I'm not planning on parting with any of them in the short term...although I don't seem to be using the S200 too much anymore, so, well, maybe?