Hi lads have had a red eye diamorphic paired with my pea throat since early January. Yesterday I noticed she didn't look the best goin soft . So I brought her in house in hopper/hospital cage and I gave her vitamins some baycox greens and egg food cuttle fish grit .she's picking out the little oats in canary mix think that's the name. Very lethargic. She was in super condition when I bought her she's only a 14 bird . Could a change in diet cause this as I have made up my own two suit both finch an canary . Lost them before just have an eye for this one . Any advice very and help much appreciated delboy . She was in a double breeder if that any good don't know if she was aviary kept @

Your doing the right thing by keeping her warm and her feed sounds ok to,it's the one thing that does my head in about these birds is it's very much in the hands of the gods most of the time when with bigger livestock it's easier to cope with when there ill.She might be egg bound as she's a young hen and it's time for the canaries to start dropping thier eggs so maybe that but good luck and keep doing what your doing for her really but some shelled sunflower hearts will be welcomed by her i'm sure..

• Like 1

If it's the Canary that's going over on you , it will be nothing to do with the double breeder , however if it's the goodie ,,and it's aivairy bred , putting it in a double breeder will stress it out to capacity ! In my experience canaries are bullet proof and not something that you have to be spot on with the diet ect , where as goldies bullies ect are a whole different ball game .

• Like 1

There's very rarely such a thing as a sick bird...they're either dead or healthy.......

Good luck, but I've not seen many come back from a bout of illness...

Thats the thing with birds and other stock, they do die for no apparent reason, but I hope she comes good for ya.... :thumbs:

There's very rarely such a thing as a sick bird...they're either dead or healthy.......

Thats the thing with birds and other stock, they do die for no apparent reason, but I hope she comes good for ya.... :thumbs:

Thats interesting.....i used to think i knew my way around the treatment of illness/injury with dogs and thought it would stand me in good stead with the birds yet virtually every bird ive had thats become sick ive not been able to bring back......i started to look into different products and find out different things etc but this isnt the first time ive heard someone say words to the effect of " when their times up its up ".

• Like 1

that's the most obsurd statement I've ever heard ! There never I'll , just fit or dead ! Have you ever kept birds ?
  • Like 2

that's the most obsurd statement I've ever heard ! There never I'll , just fit or dead ! Have you ever kept birds ?

Never kept them mate. Just guessing that's all.

• Like 1

This sort of do helps no one lads :bad: ,darcy you have kept birds and Hammo is right there's no point in just giving up on them and i've brought fluffed and looking no good birds back but have also lost a few but just letting them be isn't an option :censored: and i will try everytime with any of my livestock if they get ill or out of sorts..I shouldn't be keeping them if i didn't....

This sort of do helps no one lads :bad: ,darcy you have kept birds and Hammo is right there's no point in just giving up on them and i've brought fluffed and looking no good birds back but have also lost a few but just letting them be isn't an option :censored: and i will try everytime with any of my livestock if they get ill or out of sorts..I shouldn't be keeping them if i didn't....

I dont think anyones saying they would give up on a bird mate.....as you know ive only been around birds 5 minutes so my opinions dont count for a lot i was simply talking of my own experiences so far and the fact what Darcy said isnt the first time ive heard it.......i agree nobody should keep animals if they are not willing to give them 100 % im just not sure personally whether its worth going down certain avenues of learning in terms of more than the basics.....im a determined enough character to not be beaten easily so i certainly wouldnt give up without a fight but lets face it very few of us keeping birds are avian vets or ornithologists theres only so much we can do.

• Like 2

I dont think anyones saying they would give up on a bird mate.....as you know ive only been around birds 5 minutes so my opinions dont count for a lot i was simply talking of my own experiences so far and the fact what Darcy said isnt the first time ive heard it.......i agree nobody should keep animals if they are not willing to give them 100 % im just not sure personally whether its worth going down certain avenues of learning in terms of more than the basics.....im a determined enough character to not be beaten easily so i certainly wouldnt give up without a fight but lets face it very few of us keeping birds are avian vets or ornithologists theres only so much we can do.

How is the wee bird doing Delboy ?

Very true and maybe i misunderstood a bit :icon_redface: ,but it is hard when you feel out your depth with a sick bird and i do EVERY TIME i have one sick or looking not so good :yes: but that's why i'm a member of a few bird forums as the knowledge and help on those can make the difference and it is allways good to try to have a few drugs about the place just in case,antibiotics being the main one most folks should have really but again i know it's not that easy to get them without the visit to the vets and again like you say not every vet is up on the avian bit.I had to tell my vet what i needed and why and when i arrived he was reading up on it and agreed i was right in what i wanted and why.. :thumbs:

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1