Starting With A Springer

It is possible you may need to get the HW77 tuned.

Now I know some HW owners will get their knickers in a twist and accuse me of heresy but some of the rifles coming out of their factory of late have been, well, crap.

Swarf in the mechanism, butchered springs, nicked seals and bad lubrication are all common. The wife's 95 buzzed worse than a bee in a tinfoil factory. My 77 was fairly noisy as well but that was running on original springs and seals and after 25 years they were knackered.

Tuning made a great difference to both rifles, tamed the recoil on both, lessened noise and completely eliminated the buzzing on the 95.

True very very true mole iv been saying this for a few years now mate

the 97 kt i had got her new and she looked like a air fix model bits of plastic all over the stock and the stock screws where red with rust and she twanged from the start but marksman sorted her for me

i would of sent her back but i did not want to wait another two or three weeks for another

i get all of my springers tune,d and polished now all of them regardless of make model or cal

and if you think a pro sport is nice to shoot out of the box try one thats been tuned and polished it will blow your mind

its the closes,d you will get a spring rifle to shoot like a pcp

My 97k has been tuned and polished she has a full vmach kit and a welsh willy trigger and vmach safety switch

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This great thread has given me some food for thoughts of my own, on spring riflles and shooting with spring rifles for a new chap coming into the sport; and looking to buy a decent spring rifle to get

I still say a well sorted and tuned HW77 is a world class underlever. The Prosport is certainly top drawer quality too. Both have accuracy in spades and more than the average shooter possesses. It's a

VWman, the HW range of rifles really are quality bits of kit. As Simon has already mentioned, you can find very old examples that are just as good and sometimes even better than those produced today.

It is possible you may need to get the HW77 tuned.

Now I know some HW owners will get their knickers in a twist and accuse me of heresy but some of the rifles coming out of their factory of late have been, well, crap.

Swarf in the mechanism, butchered springs, nicked seals and bad lubrication are all common. The wife's 95 buzzed worse than a bee in a tinfoil factory. My 77 was fairly noisy as well but that was running on original springs and seals and after 25 years they were knackered.

Tuning made a great difference to both rifles, tamed the recoil on both, lessened noise and completely eliminated the buzzing on the 95.

True very very true mole iv been saying this for a few years now mate

the 97 kt i had got her new and she looked like a air fix model bits of plastic all over the stock and the stock screws where red with rust and she twanged from the start but marksman sorted her for me

i would of sent her back but i did not want to wait another two or three weeks for another

i get all of my springers tune,d and polished now all of them regardless of make model or cal

and if you think a pro sport is nice to shoot out of the box try one thats been tuned and polished it will blow your mind

its the closes,d you will get a spring rifle to shoot like a pcp

My 97k has been tuned and polished she has a full vmach kit and a welsh willy trigger and vmach safety switch

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hello bigmac

I know I will have to have the rifle sorted to be happy with it and to get the best out of it.

Now I am thinking about what to use when it is getting the work sorted. I am looking in free adds every week for a break barrel HW second hand to get me away. For the most part people want almost new money for them but I will keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it normal to be thinking of another springer so soon ?

Using the HW 99 and 95 to day I likes the 95 better, I thought I would be chomping at the bit to get a

PCP by now but think I may try a hw gas ram after this one. Have I court the springer madness ?

I think I am almost there with the choice of my second rifle and think it is going to be a hw95k with moderator.

I almost got one on Saturday but thought I would just double check on its internals and make sure that people had not got very bad things to say about them after all you guys have owned and used them so I am giving it a few days to cool off.

I have been looking to see what is inside them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in the barns again tonight straight after work and have put some time in with the HW 77.

I still find it hard to take a standing shot and get them all in a pellet tin circle.

Well I have not been feeling the love for springers today as one of the pleasant shooters was giving me a bit of verbal along the lines of :------ Air rifles are not guns and don't recoil and one piece mounts ( DM70 one piece dampa ) are a waste of money for an air rifle etc etc. It was shot gun this and shot gun that and when you get a real gun (shotgun) you will just leave the air rifle in the corner to collect dust and so on.

As a new starter I am not 100% sure of all the fact so was not sure how to deal with him so I just thought well he is a shot gun guy so I just foked him off with both barrels. Did I do good ?