Starting With A Springer

Hello guys

I got very busy with work and the end of the Tax year but I am back on it with the springer.

I have the Hawke scope lined up and getting in the barns after work trying to get to grips with the HW77. It's not as easy as I thought it would be but I am having fun learning. I have plinked more holes in plastic milk bottles full of water than I can tell you but shooting skemmys is much harder but more rewarding.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This great thread has given me some food for thoughts of my own, on spring riflles and shooting with spring rifles for a new chap coming into the sport; and looking to buy a decent spring rifle to get

I still say a well sorted and tuned HW77 is a world class underlever. The Prosport is certainly top drawer quality too. Both have accuracy in spades and more than the average shooter possesses. It's a

VWman, the HW range of rifles really are quality bits of kit. As Simon has already mentioned, you can find very old examples that are just as good and sometimes even better than those produced today.

Take a look at the lgu good value for money and up there with the rest !!!!!!

I'd second that. The competition ultra is thee best springer out of the box without a doubt... You'll get your AA fans pipe up no doubt, but honestly, after spending time with one, a mates, it is superb. Whatever is going on inside, which without being techie is new, it most certainly works. It's heavy, very heavy, topping the scales at 10ish pounds, but it doesn't matter when you get hit the target bang on where you intended.

I want one but fear I wouldn't shoot any other springer they are that good. Long term I don't know, but, and this is the truth, I go to bed thinking about one. A .22 one.

As an edit, I quoted the LGU comment, but the one down is about the LGV.

As another edit and after thinking about it, you won't appreciate the LGV shooting cycle without spending time with any HW or AA bo'inger. Otherwise how would you.

Right im both a fan of AA,and hw as most of you no and especially the pro sport and 97k both cracking rifles

Iv not had a 77 so cant comment on one but hope fully ill have one soon

One of the answers most say,d on here is go strait to the top and get one of the best buy cheep buy twice and its tru

the pro sport is about the same wait as the 97 not much difference in them i think its more balanced than the 97

and it feels right when holding it and with the right glass very ,very accurate and out the box the same put it in the bag once you have fitted the glass to it and off you go .

The 97 one hell of a rifle you ether hate it or love it in the right hands its amazing fecking amazing but out the box needs a bit of tinkering to get her right but once fettle,d boy have you got a rifle

The tx once again a cracking rifle and out the box deadly accurate but the bear trap takes some getting used to but once you have master,d it it becomes second nature and you dont notice it

And any of these rifles will last longer than your life time your sons and your sons,son and his will be using them long after your gone

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

Hello guys

The hw 77 is still very new and I would have to say it feels a bit twangy if that's the term.

My mate has a hw97 and it is well broke in but solid and in vgc and it feels a fair bit sweeter.

I have been using his 97 a lot and bonded with it but he was never going to sell it so I ended up with the HW77 which feels real nice

if a bit new. The scope on the 97 is an old Tasco FAC rifle scope and is much better than my one and the total package is well sorted and good to use. I need to put the time in to get the 77 shooting nice. I hope there is some other springers that will top the 77/97

because I no I will end up with more than one springer.

• Like 2

Put the time in to really get to know your HW77 and you'll be well rewarded with an incredible rifle. The shots these guns can pull off, with a decent scope on-board will leave you speechless! :thumbs:

And you will aquire other rifles as I have. But, you'll come back to your HW77 and wonder why you bother with anything else for an evening of thoroughly enjoyable shooting.

All the best with it VWman.

Simon

It is possible you may need to get the HW77 tuned.

Now I know some HW owners will get their knickers in a twist and accuse me of heresy but some of the rifles coming out of their factory of late have been, well, crap.

Swarf in the mechanism, butchered springs, nicked seals and bad lubrication are all common. The wife's 95 buzzed worse than a bee in a tinfoil factory. My 77 was fairly noisy as well but that was running on original springs and seals and after 25 years they were knackered.

Tuning made a great difference to both rifles, tamed the recoil on both, lessened noise and completely eliminated the buzzing on the 95.

• Like 1

Hello guys

I think it is only a mater of time before I get the HW77 tuned because I already know that it is a keeper so may as well spend the money now and get years worth of use out of it. I am thinking about ordering an IMP and when it is ready to collect I could put the 77 in at the same time.

• Like 2

Ive been waiting 7 weeks now... but they did say 6-10 weeks.

Hello Rick

I am about to ring Sandwell Field sports to book the HW77 in for custom work and full tune and I will order an Imp, then when the imp is ready to collect I will hand over the 77 at the same time.

The imp will be for around the barns and the 77 for Hunting.

• Like 1

That is what ill be using mine for Mike, i have a few farms with a bit of a feral and rat problem so the imp should be just right.

Itll be 8 week this friday...its worse than waiting for a baby to be born :laugh: .

Hello Rick

I am sure it will be worth it, are you using a borrowed rifle to keep you going. Did you have to pay the total in advance or a deposit.

PM me with the info and I will do the same.

Cheers Mike.

• Like 1