Experienced Advice Please

Hi

I'm in need of some advice preferably from someone who has had a similar situation.lets say a relative of someone who had passed away and during the house clearance a a very old 22rf was found in a loft space. Obviously it's of sentimental value to a non licence holder.how do u get it put onto a let's say someone's fac certificate.do u apply for a slot then inform the police.What should happen with a found gun until it's on a cert. hypothetically of course

Atb

If you inform the fire arms dept of the situation

They will hold the gun for you or who ever may or may not have it

Until it can be put on a certificate

They will just be happy that an unregistered Firearm is now regestered

That is as long as the rifle hasn't been reported as stolen from somewhere in the past

Are we talking so old there is no serial number? When you put it into the care of an RFD do they not need a serial number and I needed my SGC/FAC with me to put them into storage? was pretty similar to transferring ownership almost.

I found the stock of a 100+ year old hammer gun stuffed in a hole in the wall when I bought this house. My first reaction was to inform the police and try and get it on my ticket. But since there was no serial number on it and no barrels and because it was so old and no body seemed able to identify it (ie to buy new barrels for it) and it could therefore not be fired. the FEO or RFDs I spoke to didnt see an issue with me hanging onto it as it was.

Hypothetically, if the bolt wasnt found with the rifle they may take the same stance. allowing you some time to get it on your ticket

Edited by Slippery_Weasel

It also depends on your licensing department's approach to such situations.

Some but most definitely not all, will issue a S.7 certificate which grants the next of kin or whoever now owns that firearm in the absence of the original owner a temporary authority to possess it either until it can be disposed of or otherwise legally held,

Like I say, only some departments will do this. Others would grant you a variation for a 120mm Anti-Aircraft cannon before they'll consider issuing a S.7.

In any case, they'll almost always be sympathetic in such situations and providing the new owner can find "good reason" to possess it, they will normally assist. If it's that old that it only has open "iron" sights, it may be possible to possess it as a dedicated open sighted set up. I have a fox rifle with this reason.

It also depends on your licensing department's approach to such situations.

Some but most definitely not all, will issue a S.7 certificate which grants the next of kin or whoever now owns that firearm in the absence of the original owner a temporary authority to possess it either until it can be disposed of or otherwise legally held,

Like I say, only some departments will do this. Others would grant you a variation for a 120mm Anti-Aircraft cannon before they'll consider issuing a S.7.

In any case, they'll almost always be sympathetic in such situations and providing the new owner can find "good reason" to possess it, they will normally assist. If it's that old that it only has open "iron" sights, it may be possible to possess it as a dedicated open sighted set up. I have a fox rifle with this reason.

As SS said, The S7 will more commonly be issued to the spouse/family member/executor of a person the firearm/shogun was registered to.

In the event that one has just been found with no material background/paperwork the chances of a S7 being issued will generally be slim to non existent!