Have never ever seen a terrier work an otter.Been told however that when fresh bolt fairly easy. When hunted and run in however or in a situation where they can't bolt , different ball game. Know of 2 dogs one a keepers one farm terrier but both on hard side. Both of these were wrecked by otter. Reading old accounts of terriers working them they certainly don't sound a push over. Hard dogs never being desirable. Sounders with a brain being desired. Next time you find a road killed otter just look how they are put together . Pure muscle, razor teeth and strong head. Seen dead dog otter 20 odd pound. Would't take any satisfaction killing one, but would love to hunt and or dig one.Know this aint going to happen in this fecked up country though !

If you want to see it that bad get yourself on holidays mate, they are still hunted in some foreign countries i believe and you can experience whats what then....

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i in my bloody wisdom!!! when i come back home decided that a small village wasnt the place for a otter nearly 3 ft long so i gave her to a animal charity that looks after wild animals in the unders

just my 2p worth the only dog ive ever had killed in action was by a otter we were looking at mink traps and she slipped to ground she was a nice lal white sealyham from welshpool called taffy....th

I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in it's natural state but I live in hope. I've seen signs of them in Shropshire but again I never came face to face with one and I could never see the day whe

Posted Images

just my 2p worth

the only dog ive ever had killed in action was by a otter we were looking at mink traps and she slipped to ground she was a nice lal white sealyham from welshpool called taffy....their was a slurping sound a lal bow wave and the dog popped up stone dead in the river the otter was the biggest ive every seen crossed the river and away it went..never to be seen again

ive caught them in cage traps and had a good look at them up close and ive handled roadkill ones and they are pure 100% muscle more so than a badger of fox they dont have much gape in their bite but the head is like a staffie just built for short sharp bites..... they can turn on a penny and roll in a bottle for agaility the only thing that could beat them would be a ferret on crack!

also i have a very very real first hand exsperiance of the otters speed,agility,strength and bite! not to mention intelligence!
beacuse i had one as a pet for about 2 and a half years in my static caravan...think ring of bright water and your not far wrong, it was called honey and was as loyal as any dog ive ever had and would follow me around on the quad and sleep round my neck like a scarf :laugh:

• Like 8

They have been known to drag dogs into the Water and drown them too. Badgers and Otters work a Terrier over in totally different ways and a Dog experienced Otter will do more damage 'as a rule of Thumb' than a Badger with the same experience, if it has to.

Some say 'pre-ban' in their posts, well Hunting Otters in the UK was voluntarily stopped, before it actually became necessary to impose any ban. Badgers became fully protected in 1973, the Sette in 90-91 and digging out a Fox and Hunting one with a Pack of Hounds completely legally, as we knew it, in 2005. So make sure your Maths is correct.........lol. Someone born from 1974 onwards, in the UK, has DEFINITELY never dug to a Terrier with a Badger legally!!...

• Like 4

Dilly dog I think u should be on a site about pet dogs because I think u use ur dogs for shows and pets gathering what u write on here ur clearly not up to the working terrier discussion

Lol. You really should find out who someone is and what they have done before making a comment.

Did make me laugh though so thanks for that.

• Like 1

They have been known to drag dogs into the Water and drown them too. Badgers and Otters work a Terrier over in totally different ways and a Dog experienced Otter will do more damage 'as a rule of Thumb' than a Badger with the same experience, if it has to.

Some say 'pre-ban' in their posts, well Hunting Otters in the UK was voluntarily stopped, before it actually became necessary to impose any ban. Badgers became fully protected in 1973, the Sette in 90-91 and digging out a Fox and Hunting one with a Pack of Hounds completely legally, as we knew it, in 2005. So make sure your Maths is correct.........lol. Someone born from 1974 onwards, in the UK, has DEFINITELY never dug to a Terrier with a Badger legally!!...

EErrr...make sure you get your maths correct...... you could legally dig badgers up until 1981 to prevent poultry predation and crop damage.

• Like 2

just my 2p worth

the only dog ive ever had killed in action was by a otter we were looking at mink traps and she slipped to ground she was a nice lal white sealyham from welshpool called taffy....their was a slurping sound a lal bow wave and the dog popped up stone dead in the river the otter was the biggest ive every seen crossed the river and away it went..never to be seen again

ive caught them in cage traps and had a good look at them up close and ive handled roadkill ones and they are pure 100% muscle more so than a badger of fox they dont have much gape in their bite but the head is like a staffie just built for short sharp bites..... they can turn on a penny and roll in a bottle for agaility the only thing that could beat them would be a ferret on crack!

also i have a very very real first hand exsperiance of the otters speed,agility,strength and bite! not to mention intelligence!

beacuse i had one as a pet for about 2 and a half years in my static caravan...think ring of bright water and your not far wrong, it was called honey and was as loyal as any dog ive ever had and would follow me around on the quad and sleep round my neck like a scarf :laugh:

i have known of a similar story perthshire keeper, my uncle reared a couple from pups down through the years amazing to see how tame they get, this was before the protection act of 1976. a license could be obtained to hunt otters in ireland for a period after this act, but if memory serves me right the packs agreed to stop hunting otters and instead all agreed to change to hunting mink as they were vermin and no licence needed, and like all good sporting hunters if the species was in danger they should be rightly left alone......here in munster it has been documented to have one of the healthiest otter populations throughout europe.

• Like 2

Terriers get the odd mark on them from work, nowadays and in the past, but there's lads who've "heard" about terriers "smashed up" commenting on here.

Keep it real lads and only comment if you were there and seen the hunt.

Also, what idiot came up with the new terms of "smashed" and "gear" ?

That aimed at me neil?

Aimed at anyone who thinks it's macho to use such stupid terms.

Also IMO I think it would be no harm for you to remove that video for reasons I'm not going to mention on here.

Oh,and it was 1992 that Otter Hunting was eventually abolished in Eire.

Terriers get the odd mark on them from work, nowadays and in the past, but there's lads who've "heard" about terriers "smashed up" commenting on here.

Keep it real lads and only comment if you were there and seen the hunt.

Also, what idiot came up with the new terms of "smashed" and "gear" ?

That aimed at me neil?

Aimed at anyone who thinks it's macho to use such stupid terms.

Also IMO I think it would be no harm for you to remove that video for reasons I'm not going to mention on here.

Oh,and it was 1992 that Otter Hunting was eventually abolished in Eire.

I never use/used those terms, smashed an the likes, but i have spoke of what i have heard about terriers and otters from yesteryear so maybe your post does include me, but i like many more have every right to post of what i like, be it first hand or experiences ive been told of..... I usually agree with most of your posts but if we all done as you wished it wouldn't be much of a hunting forum would it?

I quoted 1976 as the year the otter became protected in ireland not a ban on hunting.

That video is on youtube for the whole world to see, along with several others of the same thing. Mink hunting is still legal and doesn't need to be hidden.