Experimental Blade Carbon/stainless Blade.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had this idea a couple of days ago and had to give it a try. To put stainless steel weld on a high carbon blade for decorative purposes. Think it actually turned out pretty well.     It all start

Well finally got this one finished!   Tried the acid dip, was a bit warm still when i dipped it as as you rightly said midnight in left a ridge, only in 10miniutes but worked faster than i expected!

Got a bit sidetracked with other things as you do but got back on to this today.   Blade having 3 x non magnetic treated, now heated light cherry red.     and quenched in Lydl's finest cooking

They aren't secrets , anyone can learn it !

It's just you might find its all the other makers that are hush hush.

Make your own gas forge is easy enough if you dare , Iv lost my eyebrows a few times !

First thing is work out what burner type you want (this matters for outside forging and if you want to get really hot )

After that it's a piece of posh

I like forced air burners they suit my needs better , and I think they are easier to make and control !

Iv just bodged my way through it griff . No patterns just stuff I have beaten welded and mashed together !

Usually scaffold pipe with a smaller pipe welded on for gas and a collar at the end that's inside the forge , this just stops the flame jumping off the end of the pipe . I have used hovers , hair driers and bouncy castle blowed for air and just a propane bottle for fuel .

I'm sure google will help more than I can .

There are millions and millions of forged out there , so so many .

I only ever concentrate on what it does rather than how it looks .

My first few where destroyed pretty fast .

There is loads to this topic but it's incredably simple to .

Good burner , good refractory (eBay) good hull for it all to go in , after that it's witchcraft !

• Like 1

Not sure about a guard on the blade, kind of designed it so the back end of the blade would act as a guard, find they get in the way when sharpening and stop you using the full blade but still undecided. Handle position something like this.

DSCN6727_zps2ncfff1x.jpg

DSCN6728_zps8daz5fke.jpg

Knife makers- any suggestions on what finish i should put on the blade?

Could do acid dip but not a lot of carbon in sight so although i like the contrast not a lot would show. So thinking either a brushed stainless steel look (scotch bright wheel) or just a high gloss (cloth wheel & buffing compound).

Ferocious chloride griff.

I get it in granules of eBay it's dead cheap and warm it works fast but not harmful to you really , the mix bicarbonate of soda in water and Neutralise with that .

The stainless will stay brilliant white if it's polished well , the carbon black and there should be a line between the two where carbon has migrated .

I think it's ging to look superb !

• Like 1