Its as expensive as you want to make it Jamie,you can get a reasonable rod and reel for less than £100,make sure the rods 2.5lb test curve minimum(if you are fishing large waters or at range go heavier) 12-15lb line,again depending on the waters you fish re snags etc,2 pairs of forceps 10" minimum,wire cutters,trace wire 30lb,trebles ,floats and weights,landing net....think that just about covers it :yes: Make sure you can unhook one before you get it on the bank,if you don't know someone to point you in the right direction have a good look on youtube ,once you have the pike out and got it by the chin,(watch the gill rakers going in)grip it firmly and don't let it thrash about,once you've done it a few times its easy,for what its worth the bigger the pike the easier they are to unhook :thumbs: Youre starting piking at the best and worst time of year,the females will be full of spawn and heavy...but soon they'll be empty and tired,the way the weather is here at the min I would expect them to spawn in the next 2-3 weeks ATB Dave

• Like 2

Hour before it gets dark into darkness for another hour ''Live baits will get you catching more often'', take someone who's clued up .12lb line & a trace of about 15 inch long, decent hooks & good long nose pliers. Good luck .

I would highly recommend going with somebody expierienced, at least once, just so they can show you what's what, because watching a video and being on the bank are very different, but after that the items above will do you good, wire cutters are a 100% must have, I Use these

http://m.screwfix.com/pr-gallery.htm?id=47997#imggal1

Very good for cutting trebles when in a difficult position. Tight lines.

• Like 1

I would highly recommend going with somebody expierienced, at least once, just so they can show you what's what, because watching a video and being on the bank are very different, but after that the items above will do you good, wire cutters are a 100% must have, I Use these

http://m.screwfix.com/pr-gallery.htm?id=47997#imggal1

Very good for cutting trebles when in a difficult position. Tight lines.

I mentioned vids as not everyone knows someone to go with,30 odd years ago I didn't ,so had to work it out for myself,used a gag at first :blink: received my only bad cut using the fukcing thing :laugh:Back then the idea of pike conservation was just kicking in ie putting corks on the ends of the gag :icon_redface:

Edited by northern lad
  • Like 1

ive been down the canal again today (another 2 brownies on the river released ) theres so much crap in the canal im useing soft plastics with the hook set weedless but still snagging debris every cast ,nothing on surface lures as of yet but even they snag lots of weedy strands , not seen a pike yet this year , just waiting to start bassin theres plenty on the peelers but i like lures or livebait for them ,the sandeels & mackeral arnt in yet

As northern lad say's, year's ago you went and worked it out on your own, a lot of non piker's threw them up the bank when they got any clamped on to their roach, trout angler's even worse.The piker's that were around was not many and kept their head's down, all kept it to themselves, but boy when you got one, a smile from ear to ear, :laugh: all this was only 2 winter's ago, :laugh: good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1