Cattle Dog Cross?

Does nobody breed/bother with the cattle dog cross anymore? With all the talk of different cross etc lately it got me wondering why they aren't as popular as they once were. The ones I've seen on dvd etc seemed to be decent working dogs?

My mates got a twelve month old acd x dog he says the guys been breeding them for a while so dont know how diluted the acd blood is or if it has any other breeds in it will be a long wait for him before he can get it started properly now.

post-12550-0-87884800-1425583075_thumb.jpgI have had ACD crosses for over 20 years, I have a ACD X Grew who is 7, In 1993 the first litter in this area were bred from a blue ACD purchased by the lad who bred a few litters from the dog, some of the off spring over the years have been watered down with other crosses including bull, any that are about from this breeding will be lucky to have1/8th or even 1/16th ACD in them. My 13 yearold second generation was put to sleep last summer, he was the last of the original litters. post-12550-0-60389200-1425583204.jpg

• Like 7

My mates got a twelve month old acd x dog he says the guys been breeding them for a while so dont know how diluted the acd blood is or if it has any other breeds in it will be a long wait for him before he can get it started properly now.

my ferretting mate had a first cross in the mid 90's Possum she was catching and retrieving rabbits at 5months old,she'd been out with us from 12 weeks old,natural retriever from day one started off getting nets out of the net bag and bringing them to whoever was closest, then moved on to anything she picked up including rotten carcases just wanted to please from the start.

Y.I.S Leeview

Edited by Leeview
  • Like 1

I remember there was a cmw article probably 4 years ago now about a keeper who x his Belgium cattle dog with a greyhound for a litter and he was bringing the pup on to work and track wounded deer, haven't seen another article since from him think his was in Scotland somewhere. I haven't had any experience with acd but would have thought the Belgium (bouvier) might produce a decent lurcher 3/4 x, they certainly have good solid frame an a good coat, trainable etc. they are also more leggy and underneath that coat more racey than people think certainly than a acd or Alsatian. This bitch is 24tts and weighed about 35kg at her best cheersMollyampGeorge005_zps66940812.jpg

• Like 1

Does nobody breed/bother with the cattle dog cross anymore? With all the talk of different cross etc lately it got me wondering why they aren't as popular as they once were. The ones I've seen on dvd etc seemed to be decent working dogs?

:hmm:I don't think it is a case of folk not bothering with the hybrid ,.they were never intended to be popular. In fact, they were relatively uncommon and were, in the main, bred by guys that simply fancied trying out, a different kind of pastoral lurcher type..

They were certainly different.... :laugh:

Good fun though... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

Darren my mates pup is white and brown and is a very simlar stamp to yours I thought the color was unusual for that cross, I had great fun with mine she was like my best mate I wouldnt have called her a natural retriever by any means but in work would fetch them to hand balls and dummys was a big no no.

But without doubt the best rabbiting and mouching dog ive ever owned FRAN a best friend.118e2a72-e281-42e5-b2de-b8234618f646_zps958833c9-b092-4ef2-9c45-eea5ba95e48f_zps

• Like 2