• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://s858.photobucket.com/user/Limb123/media/1

When I get 5 mins I'll try and work it out. Gnasher I think your right in the winter but in the summer on a nice day with a few cold beers you can't beat sitting by the pond with the sound of water.

cracking pond that limb,   mine was 18ft x 14ft x 6ft deep, mine was heated, sand filter the lot it can get an expensive hobby, but keep the water right and you'll not have many problems and if I

Posted Images

cracking pond that limb,

mine was 18ft x 14ft x 6ft deep, mine was heated, sand filter the lot

it can get an expensive hobby, but keep the water right and you'll not have many problems

and if I were you I'd buy small Japanese fish rather than Malaysian fish

they'll cost you more but the quality is plain to see

• Like 2

So thats a load of Koi I've got to add to the list of stuff I'm going to pilfer from Walshies new gaff.. :ninja:

Mind the booby traps. :nono:

I will now you've told me they're there. Thanks.. :thumbs::D

So thats a load of Koi I've got to add to the list of stuff I'm going to pilfer from Walshies new gaff.. :ninja:

Mind the booby traps. :nono:

I will now you've told me they're there. Thanks.. :thumbs::D

D'oh! :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Had a good look at the tank thing they're in at the moment and none of the plumbing seems to make any sense. I need it working properly till I have the time to build my pond.

Bearing in mind these fish have lived in this tank for years, I suspect someone with even less knowledge than me has been fiddling with it (The ex-owner's sons is looking likely.)

There's a 3" rigid pipe that comes out of the bottom drain and goes into the filter housing (the round end of the filter). The water swirls round it, then over a lip into a compartment with brushes, then through some pads, then through some plastic hoops and finally into a chamber with no media in it.

That's that part I don't get. This end chamber has a tiny pump/UV light thing in it with only one flexible pipe out of it which hangs over the tank and nothing comes out of it, but the unit is vibrating as though it works. There is also a flexible pipe attached to the end of the chamber also hooked over the tank, again with nothing coming out of it.

The main pump itself is fairly large (8000 lph) but it seems to sit in the bottom of the main tank, and the outlet hose just comes up out of the water and discharges back into the tank. :hmm: So this is just circulating dirty water surely?

I took the pump out and put it in the end chamber of the filter and opened the 3" pipe fully and it seemed to work a treat, BUT the pump was emptying the filter quicker than the 3" pipe was filling it - not by much, but enough to run it dry overnight I reckon.

I've put it back how it was for the time being while I'm not there.

Is this the right stuff just connected in the wrong order or do I need to get some new kit?

Tricky stuff this fishkeeping. :icon_eek:

It's oxygenated alright, just green. :laugh: It looks like the filter is doing nothing at the moment until I physically put the pump in the filter housing and I can't leave it in there as it pumps more water out of the filter than the bottom drain puts in.

The pump sits in the pond mate. There should be a pipe that takes water from the pond, through the filter then outlets back into the pond. The filter should be set higher than the pond, if that makes sense? :laugh: The UV light is what clears the water and keeps it from going green.