I know nothing about Koi carp, and everything you look up on the internet seems to have a different answer.

I've "inherited" a raised Koi pond - well it's more a big tank as the previous owner was housebound so had this built outside the window so he could see his fish.

It's about 10'x4'x4' which seems to be about 1000 gallons and has a decent filter/aeration system on it. There are a dozen Koi in there all about 10-14" long. The "experts" say this is too small, but the fish have lived in there for 12 years, so it must be big enough?

I want to build a proper pond, but don't want to take up the whole garden, so do you reckon the same sort of size would be ok or should I flog a couple of the fish?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://s858.photobucket.com/user/Limb123/media/1

When I get 5 mins I'll try and work it out. Gnasher I think your right in the winter but in the summer on a nice day with a few cold beers you can't beat sitting by the pond with the sound of water.

cracking pond that limb,   mine was 18ft x 14ft x 6ft deep, mine was heated, sand filter the lot it can get an expensive hobby, but keep the water right and you'll not have many problems and if I

Posted Images

Don't know that much about em but i do know that its all about the water quality. A good system is essential with koi. Got a couple of mates with good set-ups. They say koi are better off in a good depth of water.

I have. a smaller set up than what you have mentioned but wating to move somewhere more pernemant to build a larger raised pond, it's more about keeping good quality water than fish if you have good water you'll have happy fish, I only have a few 9inch koi ATM

Bosuns correct, you don't keep the fish you keep the water and the fish look after themselves.

If your building a new one you want to go at least a metre deep prefarably as deep as possible That's how you can get the volume without taking up a lot of room. All depends on what you want what space you have to play with and how much you want to spend.

Really speaking it's overstocked, but if the water peramiters are ok then the filter is doing it's job. If your going for a new build I'd go minimum 2000 gallons, but remember as the size goes up the size of filters does too. If you go to koi mag forum there's a section on pond builds where people are asking all the questions that will need answering. Hope this helps. My own pond is 5600 gallons with fish up to 78cms, they were bought from bloodlines that produced big fish. I think it's genetics as much as pond size. The people who keep grow the fish huge i.e. 85cms+, generally have heated ponds, expensive filtration and big wallets to be able to afford fish that are capable of growing big while maintaining body shape, skin quality etc.

We,ve got a massive great f****n pond i always liked tropical fish so it seemed like a good idea at the time but to be honest they bore me its not like having a tank where you can watch their habits and what they get up to your just standing looking down on Koi a mate of mine pays silly money for them he shows them and all sorts.....i think a good pond is a nice feature in a garden but if you truly enjoy watching fish id go with a tank all day long.

• Like 1

When I get 5 mins I'll try and work it out. Gnasher I think your right in the winter but in the summer on a nice day with a few cold beers you can't beat sitting by the pond with the sound of water.

• Like 3