Importing A Pup

If it is coming out of Britain it does not need a rabies jab as we are classed as rabies free, i once took a terrier to Canada and no rabies jab required but i had to have a letter off the breeder and the pup had to be checked over by a vet two weeks before departure and then again the day before, biggest cost was the vet fees, hope this helps.

Brian

According to Irish tourist board, there are no restrictions on moving dogs between mainland and the Republic or the Province.

I took a dog from mainland to NI 8 years ago and it was easy enough. Just had to inform the ferry company and put her in a me nel on the car deck.

Chid21 is reading....He will know the law - The Clive Rees of Northern Ireland!!

i wish i was :laugh:

Dont need nothing if your coming to the north , but most of the transporters will want it just to save on any hassle of trying to prove whats going where...

Trouble with driving through the north is if your stopped by the police at the ferry and asked questions (had this myself with a harris hawk as you need paperwork if your traveling south of the border, with me having a Ni address it was sorted very quickly)

best way imo would be to foot passenger it over and back via belfast to liverpool

• Like 1

According to Irish tourist board, there are no restrictions on moving dogs between mainland and the Republic or the Province.

I took a dog from mainland to NI 8 years ago and it was easy enough. Just had to inform the ferry company and put her in a me nel on the car deck.

new laws came in at the beginning of the year

not happening dave,bred a litter of 3/4's 12 months ago................never again.too much hassle from rearing to the pricks that seem to be drawn to you when trying to rehome em.i'll let some poor sod do all the work and i'll pay him for his troubles.

• Like 1

I had intentions of importing a pup over the summer of saluki and greyhound of equal proportions for the future.I was chatting to a greyhound trainer and he told me the law now is,if a pup is to come over on the boat with a greyhound transporter the pup now has t have,1..a pet passport..2..anti rabies jab..3..needs to be chipped..and 4 has to be checked by a vet 3 days before it travels across.If this is correct,and I take it coming from this man it is,it certainly puts a damper on my plans,He reckons it will be around 300-400 euro before I even buy the pup.You know if this is true?Im saddened to hear this.I have in the past imported a saluki x pup but had to rehome it,and had none of this extra work then so could any of you folks enlighten me? I will have to look around this side of the world it seems for what I want.

it cost 80 pounds to ship them