To Regulate Or Not To Regulate?

I have been told by 'shooters' that it would be better for me to regulate my Hatsan PCP. I have looked into purchasing one but hearing of a friend of a friend who had issues recently with total loss of air on his BSA Ultra I am having second thoughts. What is the general consensus on here regarding them? Thanks for your replies in advance :D

Owning a 100 which is regulated, which is perhaps what's makes them so damn accurate, each shot being bang on the same as the last one, I'm all up for regs. However, there is a certain charm about an un reg'd pcp. Bit off subject, but something I've thought of today at the club. Refining the zero of my 7, I get the odd flyer, fine, it's still within a inch like, but I love it more for that.

Dunno what I'm on about now.

• Like 1

Owning a 100 which is regulated, which is perhaps what's makes them so damn accurate, each shot being bang on the same as the last one, I'm all up for regs. However, there is a certain charm about an un reg'd pcp. Bit off subject, but something I've thought of today at the club. Refining the zero of my 7, I get the odd flyer, fine, it's still within a inch like, but I love it more for that.

Dunno what I'm on about now.

I see where your coming from. I also thaught about regulating my fn19 with a Robert lane (I think it was) regulator and thaught it's great as it is. As part of fitting it apparently it also needed a exhaust hole drilling into the air cyl. Definately didn't fancy that, so thaught against it in the end as it's fine as standard. Then again I also thaught about fitting a de-pinger and thaught hang on, the Ping justs adds charecter to the old school PCP.

So it's standard and much loved as it is!

• Like 1

In a recent chat with the boys at SFS, they were very much against regs. I think they reckon in many (though not all) cases, their role is over-played. Finding the sweet spot should solve most problems, but of course, there may well be some lemons out there.....

PCPs have been working well for decades before the more recent fetish for regs, though I'm sure they may be needed in some cases.

Edited by Dr B

In a recent chat with the boys at SFS, they were very much against regs. I think they reckon in many (though not all) cases, their role is over-played. Finding the sweet spot should solve most problems, but of course, there may well be some lemons out there.....

PCPs have been working well for decades before the more recent fetish for regs, though I'm sure they may be needed in some cases.

the reason sfs are against regs is because they tune spring guns pcp are not tony strong point thats for sure you dont hear much about the new sfs tuned pcp ?

• Like 2

I see what your saying and to some extent agree. But they would lose a lot of custom if they gave bogus advice to all. Like I say, they were not against regs in some cases, just that all the current fluff about regs might be over-played.

You can get a PCP to sing with a proper tune up - which does not involve a reg. I've heard that from lots of shops / places, even those that fit regs a lot. So not everywhere pushes regs as much as you might think.

PCPs have been working well for many years before the fad of regs.

I'd have a reg fitted if it was a core recommendation from the tuner (i.e., other things wont help). But in the chats I've had with people I've approached about getting one fitted, other recommendations were pushed more. Regs, rarely top of the list. I am sure this might not be the case if you are a top-level target shooter where every fps counts a lot

Edited by Dr B

When I had my ultra from new , it started of at 10.8 rise up to 11.8 then dropped back down to 10.8 ,over 35 shots.

Found the sweet spot but the shot count went down to 25

After XTX AIR regged the ultra its now shooting 4 fps spread and getting 55-60 shots from a fill.

IMO it made a good gun into one of the best airguns out there

A reg will iron out any sweet spots and will give you more shots

• Like 1

Thanks a lot gents, you have given me plenty to think about on the topic of regulators. I must admit the thought of drilling a hole in my air cylinder has me a little worried but maybe getting a professional to fit it as villaman suggests might be the answer....

i am not the sure regulators are the be and end all .you will get more shots out of a gun but if you shoot over the top of the power curve only ,on that gun your lock time is quicker I FEEL with full power and accuracy , I could be wrong .If you wont a regulator in a gun get a hw100 or similar . With the time you have to spend testing the power of your new modded gun and the pellets ect . a hw100 is a very good gun but I dont think it is any better than an unregulated verminator shot only in the power curve ,I have both guns they are both good .

• Like 1

Good discussion

I am sure, as noted above, regs help with lemons. However, lets put it into context.

My S410k has been chronied to have 3-4fps variation over a 50 shot count, with 70 shots at under 8fps. Power at 11.22, with the bulk of it between 170 - 110 bar. So that's basically flat. No regulator. Just well run-in (its 7 years old).

I have just picked up my new S410 classic, been chronied at 11.70, with a 3-4fps variation around 160-140 ft-lbs (we didnt do a full power range test, but now know there is a good sweet spot there). No need for any regulator on these guns at the moment, and unless wear and tear suggests it needs them (i.e., nothing else will help), I wont fit them. So I've bought 2 AA PCPs, 7 years apart, from new, and no problems. A good shot range and variability less than 10 and 5fps across the sweet spots.

I definately intend to treat myself to a tune-up (XTX) when funds allow as i think all those little tweaks add up to something really sweet. I hear a lot of people talking regs at the moment, i'm just not convinced by it in all cases. Villaman meantions a good case where it clearly was needed.

I wouldn't go get one, just cos everyone else is.

PS - do all regs mean drilling holes in the cylinder? I thought I'd heard of one where you dont need to do that, but I might have dreamt that. ;)

Edited by Dr B
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Both my R10's work fantastically with regulators and my S410 does the same without. All are blisteringly accurate so am happy for the S410 to stay without. I don't use more than 40 shots even if I'm zeroing, so always enough air for the day in any of them.

I was considering regulating my .177 S200, just to try and get more shots out if each charge. Today I ran a shot string just to see what the gun is capable of. I was quite happy with the results. I filled the gun to 190bar and continued shooting until the ft/sec dropped right off, the results are shown in the attached graph. The 60th shot was was 729ft/sec, on refilling the S200 I found it still had approx 110bar in the tank.

attachment.php