Dog Turned Bad

8 year old collie cross killed it's first chicken yesterday and I had to belt it with a fence board to let go.Seems he likes killing birds today as he's just sneaked off and done the laying birds at roost.

Not a working dog more a pet but something has changed in him lately and he has become aggressive and very nervy.

Family not happy with me but he is a gonner tomorrow but a vet bill beckons instead of a bullet.

Dogs were designed by nature to be killers, I don't know why people are amazed when they actually kill something ,

Dogs are neither good or bad , they are only processing what they feel inside, the chickens cause excitement in the dog , when a dog can't act on that excitement ,it's stored inside like a kettle slowly boiling , if that energy/excitement is not channelled into some other prey making activity , it will eventually boil over leading in your case to dead chickens , the dog hasn't turned his prey making nature hasn't been honoured ,

• Like 9

Its strange that a collie dog gets to 8 years, without crunching a chuck,..then suddenly turns rogue :blink:

Unfortunately, if the dog needed some shiplap treatment before it would let its prize go,..I cannot see it taking to chicken watching ever again... :laugh:

Poor wee critter,..something has obviously gone drastically wrong oop top.... :yes:

• Like 1

Anybody who needs to bray an 8 month old pup with a board to get something off it should look at keeping something other than dogs. Sea monkeys would be about the limit!

8 years bud...

eye test needed, but my sentiment remains the same

8 years and built like a brick shithouse! what you just let him clean your entire flock out until he gets board ffs?

Had a shepheard do the same after years of daily interactions with chickens even seen him retreat to his box when one of the aseels have fluffed upto him. A week or so later after killing the chickens he very badly bit someone he'd known since a pup so there was only one thing for him. Hope you get it sorted mate.