Lurcher Crunching Rabbits

My 18 month old bull x greyhound kelpie x greyhound is crunching the rabbits she catches, she crunched the two that bolted/she caught early on. She hasnt seen large amount of rabbits, a few here and there, was hoping it was something that would change as she got more experienced, not sure now..

Is there anything i can do to help stop this

My youngen shakes them to death..lol..loads of work to be done fro summer..

lol , bloody hell never had dog shake rabbit to death ,ok bite hard on them with one bite , most rabbits are marked a bit there bound to be,with a dog hitting them at 30 mile a hour , even with the softest mouth . my young dog brings all his rabbits back live, but most got few marks on them, that's it there dogs . the only other way 22 head shot for clean rabbit or net :yes:

• Like 1

Honest question how do you get a dog retrieving if it won't take any interest unless its live quarry?

not really alot you can do , because all running dog types naturally want to chase+kill , the end result of bringing back not a natural thing bred in to them, like gundogs ,labs,etc. and more so if the lurcher very running way dog bred lot of sight hound in it. not saying they wont do it , but not in there mind set , like a lab is :yes: . m y dogs that have had collie in there make up, norm liked to play with a ball ,and would bring back when thrown for them. my bullxs weren't bothered with games like that, but would bring back rabbits back to me some live some not, my 1x gsd x grey the same regards games not botherd , but being honest he is my best retriever of all my lurchers,nearly always live and from long distances bring to you ,and hold the quarry in the air for you :thumbs: and yet he the only dog that ive not really trained to bring back, give him the odd dummy when a small pup, but that's it . b ut I give lots of stay +wait recall couple times a week, by doing that the dog comes to me with out thinking , disregard if anything was in it mouth, but as said don't do any retrieve training with him , try a lot of recall and try using a ball , how the dog bred .?

Honest question how do you get a dog retrieving if it won't take any interest unless its live quarry?

not really alot you can do , because all running dog types naturally want to chase+kill , the end result of bringing back not a natural thing bred in to them, like gundogs ,labs,etc. and more so if the lurcher very running way dog bred lot of sight hound in it. not saying they wont do it , but not in there mind set , like a lab is :yes: . m y dogs that have had collie in there make up, norm liked to play with a ball ,and would bring back when thrown for them. my bullxs weren't bothered with games like that, but would bring back rabbits back to me some live some not, my 1x gsd x grey the same regards games not botherd , but being honest he is my best retriever of all my lurchers,nearly always live and from long distances bring to you ,and hold the quarry in the air for you :thumbs: and yet he the only dog that ive not really trained to bring back, give him the odd dummy when a small pup, but that's it . b ut I give lots of stay +wait recall couple times a week, by doing that the dog comes to me with out thinking , disregard if anything was in it mouth, but as said don't do any retrieve training with him , try a lot of recall and try using a ball , how the dog bred .?

Hi he is saluki whippet bull greyhound, he does everything I ask of him just when he was a pup and still now he has no interest in dummys, balls etc doesn't want to play games all he wants to do is Chase.