Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

I find when a fox is marked in big deep earth's boys don't put they good digging dogs to ground cause it takes too long to dig what happens then a bolting little bitch is entered doesn't bolt then and then she dug and tested big hard dog tied to tree never tested . Hands up who sees that

• Like 3

Your not making sense a more determined terrier would stay and be dug too , more determined a mutt is the longer will stay , not getting this it's like your contradicting your self , a bolting terrier too me is a dog that can find in big places , sit back and bay and after so long leave it , and it is correct that half of it is down too the fox and where your working it from , as a drain is 90 % chance of bolting , depending on the dog and the fox ,

I don't mean to disrespect you mate, but a GOOD bolting terrier doesn't just sit back and bay from 2 foot away.

A GOOD bolting terrier makes the fox bolt[if it can].

Not all foxes will bolt, but most will if given the opportunity/incentive.

JMO.

Cheers

• Like 2

If a terrier is close enough to mix it, then the fox shouldn't have room to bolt, well not on a regular basis. If your dog is regularly letting foxes past it to bolt, imo its lacking in something. I can see there uses and iv owned such dogs but I would never want kennels full of that type

I understand where you're coming from, BUT a good bolting dog is NOT just a second rate digging dog.

I feel like I'm going round in circles so I think i'm going to disappear again

All the best

If a terrier is close enough to mix it, then the fox shouldn't have room to bolt, well not on a regular basis. If your dog is regularly letting foxes past it to bolt, imo its lacking in something. I can see there uses and iv owned such dogs but I would never want kennels full of that type

I understand where you're coming from, BUT a good bolting dog is NOT just a second rate digging dog.

All the best

What is it then, a clever digging dog?

Would you know what that is?????

All the best

I know what my idea of a clever digging dog/terrier is, and giving fox space to bolt ain't in my idea. Is that your way of thinking? Just asking mate, like I said iv kenneled bolting dogs and have no axe to grind with them or folk who keep them

Sometimes a terrier will understand that a bolt is what the hunter requires and will do what it can to accomplish this.

Sometimes dogs are that smart.

Don't mean to disrespect anyone, but I've seen dogs smarter than the owners who don't work with their tykes but seem to not understand the easiest way to catch a fox.....and make things difficult for the dog, such as digging directly on top of the terrier rather than a foot or so behind it and the quarry etc....

• Like 1

I don't want to enter into an argument over terriers.

Its been years since I've had one, BUT I just wanted to make the point that there is more than one way to skin a cat[ no cats where harmed,,,,lol]

The point I wanted to make is that a good bolting terrier is NOT a failed digging dog.

As I said before, I used to think digging dogs/ killing dogs where the bees knees, but with experience I learned another way.........

All the best.

I think it's no harm to have a mix of both digging and bolting terriers in your kennels but a bolting terrier can't just sit back baying he has to be hard and put his fox under pressure to make him bolt BUT isn't a gripper

• Like 2

All the best

I know what my idea of a clever digging dog/terrier is, and giving fox space to bolt ain't in my idea. Is that your way of thinking? Just asking mate, like I said iv kenneled bolting dogs and have no axe to grind with them or folk who keep them

Sometimes a terrier will understand that a bolt is what the hunter requires and will do what it can to accomplish this.

Sometimes dogs are that smart.

Don't mean to disrespect anyone, but I've seen dogs smarter than the owners who don't work with their tykes but seem to not understand the easiest way to catch a fox.....and make things difficult for the dog, such as digging directly on top of the terrier rather than a foot or so behind it and the quarry etc....

Do you believe its a trait that can be bred for, is taught or is just natural?

i believe if you breed off intelligent dogs, you sometimes get intelligent dogs that figure out what is required.

Sometimes it takes them a few years to figure it out, sometimes it takes the human a few years to figure it out...lol

Cheers

• Like 3

I think it's no harm to have a mix of both digging and bolting terriers in your kennels but a bolting terrier can't just sit back baying he has to be hard and put his fox under pressure to make him bolt BUT isn't a gripper

You're right mate. Its a bit like have a set of golf clubs....each club/terrier is for a different situation.

Some stayers, some hard/killing dog/some bolters some for cubs etc

All the best