Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

I have noticed on this forum that the most vociferous terriermen prefer digging dogs over bolting terriers.

As someone who hunted fox with terriers for over 25 years, I had a soft spot for a good bolting dog.

I had some dogs that would stay whatever time it took to dig, but as much as I admired them, I saw the value of a dog that could bolt a fox.

I should clarify I don't have a terrier now, and its just a personal opinion.

I understand that if you have a preference, that's fine but I do think that with experience you can see the benefit of both types of working terrier.

Cheers

• Like 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

A digging dog enters earth fox bolts job done,bolting terrier enters earth fox doesn't bolt after 40 mins bolting terrier walks out of earth enter digging dog job done.I don't live in an area with rock piles I know some deep hard to dig earths but not many undigable ones a bolting only terrier is of limited use to the majority of working terrier owners I know,and most of them have had plenty of years of experience behind them jmho.

• Like 4

A digging dog enters earth fox bolts job done,bolting terrier enters earth fox doesn't bolt after 40 mins bolting terrier walks out of earth enter digging dog job done.I don't live in an area with rock piles I know some deep hard to dig earths but not many undigable ones a bolting only terrier is of limited use to the majority of working terrier owners I know,and most of them have had plenty of years of experience behind them jmho.

have too agree with you there a digging terrier wins hands down for ma although a bolting terrier for hunt work can come in handy some lads think a dog sitting well off baying will bolt it's fox IMO the amount of times it won't bolt from them far out ways the amount of times that it will

I think your just referring too soft dogs and hard dogs , nothing is guareenteed when you drop a dog in , as the the more you show them the style of work changes, dpends how often your working them . I know what your saying tho and it depends what your purpose is and pre ban for the hunt a soft dog that will leave one in a bad place is a valued tool too a hunt terrierman pre ban , but if all you want is too dig then drop a harder one in but that doesnt mean it wont bolt unless you stop it in after she opens up

have too agree with you there a digging terrier wins hands down for ma although a bolting terrier for hunt work can come in handy some lads think a dog sitting well off baying will bolt it's fox IMO the amount of times it won't bolt from them far out ways the amount of times that it will

Many bolting terriers can be dug to,if needed,many bolting terriers get in close to push a more determined fox.A "digging terrier" can only be entered when it can be dug to,a bolting terrier,that can often be dug to,was and still is far more versatile, to some.

• Like 4

Many bolting terriers can be dug to,if needed,many bolting terriers get in close to push a more determined fox.A "digging terrier" can only be entered when it can be dug to,a bolting terrier,that can often be dug to,was and still is far more versatile, to some.

:thumbs:

May I ask why did you get out of the terrier game ?

Hi Marshman,

After doing it for 25 years I felt I had accomplished all that I wanted. Plus I had a cracking wee bitch that I didn't think I would better.

Once she got too old, any other dog would have been an anticlimax.

I respect your view mate, but a bolting terrier, sorry good bolting terrier will get the job most times apart from pregnant vixens or places that are too tight.

I think the problem is [in my opinion] is people think a soft not committed terrier is a "bolting" dog, but in my view, a good bolting terrier is determined committed worker that gets the job done.

Just my opinion mate.

All the best.

• Like 3

David901 I second that well said most people think a bolting dog is weak and comes out untrue I think if a terrier stood off and bayed about two feet away common sense tells me that Charlie will stay home all day where as a rough and tumble sees things differently

• Like 2

Your not making sense a more determined terrier would stay and be dug too , more determined a mutt is the longer will stay , not getting this it's like your contradicting your self , a bolting terrier too me is a dog that can find in big places , sit back and bay and after so long leave it , and it is correct that half of it is down too the fox and where your working it from , as a drain is 90 % chance of bolting , depending on the dog and the fox ,

Your not making sense a more determined terrier would stay and be dug too , more determined a mutt is the longer will stay , not getting this it's like your contradicting your self , a bolting terrier too me is a dog that can find in big places , sit back and bay and after so long leave it , and it is correct that half of it is down too the fox and where your working it from , as a drain is 90 % chance of bolting , depending on the dog and the fox ,