Legal Implications Of Cats In My Garden

So then guys, probably the wrong place to ask but i was wondering if anyone out there is a lawyer?

Basically im sick and tired of cats coming into my garden and taking a sh!t in my flower/vegetable patches, it's also only a matter of time before one kills one of the chickens.

I understand cats have a legal right to roam in the UK and that i am not allowed to harm them or upset them if they are in my garden.

But the question lies with this: Can i encourage my dog to go after cats in the garden. If after encouragement my dog catches and kills a cat have i broken the law? Obviously if i didn't encourage my dog there would be no laws broken if my dog did the damage on my property. But it's my encouragement that i'm questioning.

Anyone care to comment? (and no i don't wish to spend money on electronic counter measures or deicer fluid)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MATT YOUR WRONG CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS WHILST ON THERE PROPERTY THE MINUTE THEY LEAVE THERE PROPERTY THEY ARE CLASSED AS FERAL [uNDER NO ONES CONTROL ] GOOGLE IT AND YOU CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR

MATT WHILST I AGREE CATS ARE CLASSED AS PROPERTY UNDER ENGLISH LAW , THEY HAVE NO RIGHT S ONCE THEY LEAVE THERE DOMAIN [OWNERS PROPERTY]BUT ANY NUISENSE OR DAMAGE THEY DO THE ONER CAN BE HELD RESPOSIB

WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS IF THERE ON THERE OWN PROPERTY IF A CAT ROAM OFF DOWN THE ROAD OR ONTO YOUR PROPERTY IT HAS NO RIGHT THIS DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN INTENTIONALY HARM THE CAT BUT I

If your dog kills a cat you are guilty of the offence of theft, as you've 'deprived' the rightful owner of their property.

Sad but true.

The owners of cats cannot be held liable for their actions, whilst the cats remain their property and cannot be harmed.

However, if a cat is run over by a vehicle on the highway, you are not obliged to stop or report the 'accident' :thumbs:

If your dog kills a cat you are guilty of the offence of theft, as you've 'deprived' the rightful owner of their property.

Sad but true.

You serious? You've got to be kidding??? If the cat dies it's unlikely my dog will eat it as he has plenty of chicken and rabbit, thus i can return the cat to it's owner and have then not stolen anything?

In all honesty i don't wish to deprive anyone of their beloved pet, my dog chasing the cats out of the garden will i presume make them think twice before coming back. And as tough as we all think our terriers are, the claws on a cat could do some serious damage to the eye sight of a dog.

• Like 1

WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS IF THERE ON THERE OWN PROPERTY IF A CAT ROAM OFF DOWN THE ROAD OR ONTO YOUR PROPERTY IT HAS NO RIGHT THIS DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN INTENTIONALY HARM THE CAT BUT IF YOUR DOG KILLS IT ON YOUR PROPERTY ITS FAIR GAME , BEEN THERE DONE IT AND TESTED IT

• Like 4

WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS IF THERE ON THERE OWN PROPERTY IF A CAT ROAM OFF DOWN THE ROAD OR ONTO YOUR PROPERTY IT HAS NO RIGHT THIS DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN INTENTIONALY HARM THE CAT BUT IF YOUR DOG KILLS IT ON YOUR PROPERTY ITS FAIR GAME , BEEN THERE DONE IT AND TESTED IT

Incorrect.

Cat's remain the property of their owner regardless of where they happen to be.

If you kill a cat you deprive the owner of their property even if you do present them with a corpse afterwards.

My dog killed a neighbors cat first night i moved into new property a few years back , They phoned Police ,Police called to my house and i explained cat rang across my drive and dog chased it and killed it , Copper said dogs chase cats and it was on your property and that was that

• Like 1

My dog killed a neighbors cat first night i moved into new property a few years back , They phoned Police ,Police called to my house and i explained cat rang across my drive and dog chased it and killed it , Copper said dogs chase cats and it was on your property and that was that

That's called 'discretion'. Police rarely use it these days :no:

The fact that you were not prosecuted doesn't mean an offence wasn't committed :thumbs:

And here's the problem once again. The law is never black and white and is sometimes down to interpretation (discretion) by the officer dealing. Deerman, i bet that made you popular on Day1!!! :boogy::toast:

The whole reason for this post was my dog was going ape sh!t at the back door yesterday, so i let him out. 5 minutes later he came back in and wouldn't settle down so i checked the CCTV, this is what i found. The cat got away as it fit through the iron gate, the dog needs to eat less...

MATT YOUR WRONG CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS WHILST ON THERE PROPERTY THE MINUTE THEY LEAVE THERE PROPERTY THEY ARE CLASSED AS FERAL [uNDER NO ONES CONTROL ] GOOGLE IT AND YOU CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACCIDENTS THAT MAY HAPPEN IE RAN OVER -KILLED BY ANOTHER MAMMAL AS LONG AS YOU DON T INTENTIONALLY SET OUT TO HARM THE CAT OR FALL FOUL OF THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT YOUR FINE

THERES NOTHING TO STOP YOU PUTTING A CAGE TRAP IN YOUR GARDEN WITH SOME KITTY CAT IN IT AND IF THE CAT WALKS IN IT GET THE HOSE AND SOAK THE THING THEN LEAVE IT TO DRY OUT WHILE YOU GO AND GET SOME BIG GLOVES AND WASTE ENGINE OIL/ GREASE ETC , THEN GET THE CAT OUT OIL AND GREASE IT THEN LET IT GO AND WAIT FOR THE SCREAMS AS IT GOES HOME AND RUNS AROUND THE HOUSE , BET YOU DON T SEE IT AGAIN----YOU HAVENT HARMED IT JUST RELEASED IT FROM YOUR TRAP AS IT WAS A NONE TARGET SPECIES LOL

• Like 14

MATT YOUR WRONG CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS WHILST ON THERE PROPERTY THE MINUTE THEY LEAVE THERE PROPERTY THEY ARE CLASSED AS FERAL [uNDER NO ONES CONTROL ] GOOGLE IT AND YOU CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACCIDENTS THAT MAY HAPPEN IE RAN OVER -KILLED BY ANOTHER MAMMAL AS LONG AS YOU DON T INTENTIONALLY SET OUT TO HARM THE CAT OR FALL FOUL OF THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT YOUR FINE

THERES NOTHING TO STOP YOU PUTTING A CAGE TRAP IN YOUR GARDEN WITH SOME KITTY CAT IN IT AND IF THE CAT WALKS IN IT GET THE HOSE AND SOAK THE THING THEN LEAVE IT TO DRY OUT WHILE YOU GO AND GET SOME BIG GLOVES AND WASTE ENGINE OIL/ GREASE ETC , THEN GET THE CAT OUT OIL AND GREASE IT THEN LET IT GO AND WAIT FOR THE SCREAMS AS IT GOES HOME AND RUNS AROUND THE HOUSE , BET YOU DON T SEE IT AGAIN----YOU HAVENT HARMED IT JUST RELEASED IT FROM YOUR TRAP AS IT WAS A NONE TARGET SPECIES LOL

bet you was a right horrible little b*****d as a kid :laugh:

• Like 2

Constantly SHOUTING won't make you right.

Google it all you like; just make sure it's UK law you are quoting :yes:

Cats are property and remain so wherever they are :yes:

Trust me, I'm right on this one lads :thumbs: