My Northern Goshawk

sean goshawk

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi ive been flying birds or prey for ten year and I had a female harris I had for many years.and then got myself a female gos this is a andy hunter breed bird and only this year bird ive only took 60

more

Well after spending a good few weeks on rope pulls me and the mate went out for a rook to see if she'll get one and seen this grey back sitting close to a hedge and let the Gos see it and took off aft

Posted Images

Who said anything about having an argument??

This section is pretty dull at best, so it's good to hear any debate from experienced people like yourself & I mean that genuinely........rather than the usual 'nice hawk mate' or ' my hawk caught this.....'

Too true mate. I've been on the IFF too long...lol

An exchange of ideas is a good and healthy thing.

To me, hooding is a way of reducing stress for the bird.

• Like 1

This section is pretty dull at best, so it's good to hear any debate from experienced people like yourself & I mean that genuinely........rather than the usual 'nice hawk mate' or ' my hawk caught this.....'

lol theres not much happen on the iff anymore that site has went to the dogs.

Because they were all self proclaimed legends and loved dick measuring contests on there

Because they were all self proclaimed legends and loved dick measuring contests on there

Yep and the same seems to be happening on Facebook.

I'm always amazed at the amount of falconers on there who never have a poor day and go home empty handed.

It must just be me that has poor days. :huh:

I used to go on the IFF quite regularly, but after a while I got sick of all the nonsense, so stopped going on it.

I still go on for a wee look every now and then.

• Like 1

Yep and the same seems to be happening on Facebook.

I'm always amazed at the amount of falconers on there who never have a poor day and go home empty handed.

It must just be me that has poor days. :huh:

I used to go on the IFF quite regularly, but after a while I got sick of all the nonsense, so stopped going on it.

I still go on for a wee look every now and then.

Every one has a poor day as there days I can go out a miss alot of things or the bird gets kicked off.that the point of flying a b o p if you caught everything every day there would be no quarry about to try and catch with the bird.

• Like 1

There can only be benefits from hooding a hawk.If you were flying in company and its someone elses turn for a slip its better that you hood your hawk than have it bating at every bolted rabbit and not releasing it.Also if you were ferreting alone and had to dig to the ferret and pull out rabbits from a stop.Or if something stresses your hawk like strange dogs,tractors etc.At least if its made to the hood then you have the choice.

Just my opinion!

• Like 1

There can only be benefits from hooding a hawk.If you were flying in company and its someone elses turn for a slip its better that you hood your hawk than have it bating at every bolted rabbit and not releasing it.Also if you were ferreting alone and had to dig to the ferret and pull out rabbits from a stop.Or if something stresses your hawk like strange dogs,tractors etc.At least if its made to the hood then you have the choice.

Just my opinion!

That why I've made mine to the hood as she doesn't get on with other hawks and when I'm out with mates and there bird I put the hood on.

• Like 1

cracking pics there sean, atleast you can be arsed to do a write up on your bird/ days accounts etc, I just haven't got the time lol,

as for hooding its each to their own, the female im flying was 6 years old when I got her(imprint) tried hooding her but she wasn't having any of it, it was hard enough to get her come to the fist, think she's been flown to the lure which is something I don't do.....again my choice, I cracked her eventually, but hooding a bird the that just wont have it or thrashes around when hooded will resent you in time

cracking pics there sean, atleast you can be arsed to do a write up on your bird/ days accounts etc, I just haven't got the time lol,

as for hooding its each to their own, the female im flying was 6 years old when I got her(imprint) tried hooding her but she wasn't having any of it, it was hard enough to get her come to the fist, think she's been flown to the lure which is something I don't do.....again my choice, I cracked her eventually, but hooding a bird the that just wont have it or thrashes around when hooded will resent you in time

100 % agree with you on that mate I'd never try to hood an adult bird that's not been made to the hood fresh from aviary ...I no some have and had no problems but..... I've herd of a lot that made more problems than they could solve ..when it comes to buying s fresh bird strait of the parents it would be hooded within minutes ... Just my personal preference

Well tonight me and the mate went out a run with the lamp to see what is about and go a good few slips as the ground was wet and the bird got damp really quick and one rabbit made a mistake and she nailed it .and then the open pour down and got soaked to the skin and we called it a nite as we where soaked and the bird to.

post-98610-0-75380600-1446245866_thumb.jpg