Smithfield Working Dogs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The majority of antique,Victorian, Edwardian poaching books and tales of such folk,.were mostly penned by country gents and others that had been captivated by the romantic notion of 'ye olde poacher',

So he says.   I'm lead to believe he buys entire litters of any old breeding and sells them on as whatever a potential client is lookin for.   I have it on good authority that his house is full of

@ Keepitcovert   The few images I have are all fairly dated ,.nothing special.. Never took many photos back then...had no reason to...   Just bred dogs for my own use, they were just my take on

Posted Images

:laugh: @ Keepitcovert :laugh:

The few images I have are all fairly dated ,.nothing special..

Never took many photos back then...had no reason to...

Just bred dogs for my own use, they were just my take on the Smithfield lurcher.

It is good to see a few guys that are still interested, in such antiquated things....

All the best, Phil. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

Was talking to a boy last week about smithfeilds he knows someone in New Zealand that works them we spoke about importing a pup but haven't realy looked into it yet

why ?

Considering how long the interest in the name " Smithfield " has been going on, I'm amazed that the " breed" has not been saved from extinction using stock that a few dedicated people managed to find, and then accepted by the K.C., can be purchased for a mere £800 a pup. In my opinion it's the function of the dog that is the answer to the question. Drovers needed a dog to assist them in their work. Any "breed" would do, as long as it could do the work. Most suitable dogs for this type of work were bred together and produced the " Smithfield ".

The work of the Drover came to an end. The dogs they used ceased to be bred for that specific purpose. End of " Smithfield Collie " ? The blood must live on in K.C. Old English Sheepdog ? Bearded Collie ? Border Collie ? There are many good working type farm dogs in UK, but, I would think the "type" could be more easily found in European countries that were isolated from the west until recent times that more represent the "Smithfield Collie ". Best be quick though.

• Like 1

I grew up around dogs like some of these old pics. And they are still around, I can think of 3 of similar types, working on farms and small holdings around here. They are just farm bred, good dog to good dog. with beardie, border, terrier and labrador in the mix. basically a hairy farm cur, that will shift stock and guard a yard

• Like 4

Was talking to a boy last week about smithfeilds he knows someone in New Zealand that works them we spoke about importing a pup but haven't realy looked into it yet

why ?

Something different and gives us the chance to get lurchers like the old mick douglas dogs that used to be up this way

• Like 1

why ?

Something different and gives us the chance to get lurchers like the old mick douglas dogs that used to be up this way

How long ago were the MD dogs bred? and what REALLY went into them?

I'm not looking for an argument, just genuinely interested.

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 2

why ?

Using beardie or picardy should get the same results imo..

I grew up around dogs like some of these old pics. And they are still around, I can think of 3 of similar types, working on farms and small holdings around here. They are just farm bred, good dog to good dog. with beardie, border, terrier and labrador in the mix. basically a hairy farm cur, that will shift stock and guard a yard

i seen a real nice old style lookin collie , used to move cattle about , turns out it was a 3/4 collie 1/4 lab .. it could shift and work like hell , got me thinking when did collies become a set breed and not just cur to cur ..

• Like 2

i seen a real nice old style lookin collie , used to move cattle about , turns out it was a 3/4 collie 1/4 lab .. it could shift and work like hell , got me thinking when did collies become a set breed and not just cur to cur ..

whenever they came to market. you can take that comment any way you like. ;)

I don't think things have changed that much over the decades. If you are looking to breed for working ability, names mean nowt. If you are looking to breed for selling ability, names are everything. what that "name" is, is based upon depends on the buyers requirements.

thats true for any stock, and the greater the mix, the more likely its an absolute