Smithfield Working Dogs

We are from New Zealand and have several Smithfield working dogs. Smithfields are also still bred in Tasmania, Australia and the type is very similar to that pictured here (a Tasmanian Smithfield), owner unknown.

We were just wondering if Smithfields are still bred in the UK and what type they are, we understand that a straight Smithfield is of the following description: "The Smithfield is a medium-sized rough coated, outgoing, active dog. His tail is usually long, but on rare occasions is a true bob tail. Coat colour varies—black, grey, brown—but mostly there is some white, on head, chest, neck, feet or tail. The ears are usually partially erect, and turned down at the tip; the muzzle is whiskery and there is plenty of hair down the legs, and between the toes. As a working dog the Smithfield is forceful, fast and game. He is said to be good in the highlands, in snow, and in rough bush country. He is not an 'eye dog' and therefore is not seen in sheep dog trials."

We understand from this site there are Lurcher/Smithfields but we are not sure if this was the original Smithfield type or whether this is a later type due to that cross which appears to be a very successful working dog. There is so much information on the original Smithfields, the general view seems to be that the Smithfield is a type of Beardie but this is not settled of course.

We would be grateful for any information on these lovely dogs.

post-98622-0-40234400-1424148321.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The majority of antique,Victorian, Edwardian poaching books and tales of such folk,.were mostly penned by country gents and others that had been captivated by the romantic notion of 'ye olde poacher',

So he says.   I'm lead to believe he buys entire litters of any old breeding and sells them on as whatever a potential client is lookin for.   I have it on good authority that his house is full of

@ Keepitcovert   The few images I have are all fairly dated ,.nothing special.. Never took many photos back then...had no reason to...   Just bred dogs for my own use, they were just my take on

Posted Images

As far as I'm aware there are no smithfields being bred in the UK. But I think there are supposedly a few strains of lurchers with Smithfield in their make up still being bred but not really sure if this is true or not. I'm sure more knowledgable people will comment with a lot more info than me.

• Like 1

The Smithfield in this country has long since dissappeared. Since the advent of the rail network dogs of this type has not been required to drive livestock to Smithfield market in London.

I believe that 'Smithfield' was a loose term for a wide rage of shaggy herding/droving types that rocked up to the famous meat market.

Dogs would have also been bought and sold at this market making for quite a mixed bunch.

These old lines almoth certainly were absorbed into the modern Beardie and Borders you see today.

Anybody claiming to have genuine Smithfield blood in thier line must have a very long line indeed.

The Tazzy Smithfield it's self can be quite varied in appearance. Many being almost indistinguishable from our Beardies.

I have enjoyed watching the New Zealand hunt away trials in the past. A proper test for proper workin dogs where they have to use all thier senses. More than just pushin tame sheep about a field. The Smithfield always seemed to do well at these trials.

There was a chap on the Colliecurs forum who had Tazzy Lurchers. Bob tails actually. Don't know if he's on here ir not.

• Like 4

Don't jeff burrels dogs go back to some of those original strains?

Allegedly ;)

think the husky and brittany have probably bred the old smithfield out the line

Lol :thumbs:

We are from New Zealand and have several Smithfield working dogs. Smithfields are also still bred in Tasmania, Australia and the type is very similar to that pictured here (a Tasmanian Smithfield), owner unknown.

We were just wondering if Smithfields are still bred in the UK and what type they are, we understand that a straight Smithfield is of the following description: "The Smithfield is a medium-sized rough coated, outgoing, active dog. His tail is usually long, but on rare occasions is a true bob tail. Coat colour varies—black, grey, brown—but mostly there is some white, on head, chest, neck, feet or tail. The ears are usually partially erect, and turned down at the tip; the muzzle is whiskery and there is plenty of hair down the legs, and between the toes. As a working dog the Smithfield is forceful, fast and game. He is said to be good in the highlands, in snow, and in rough bush country. He is not an 'eye dog' and therefore is not seen in sheep dog trials."

We understand from this site there are Lurcher/Smithfields but we are not sure if this was the original Smithfield type or whether this is a later type due to that cross which appears to be a very successful working dog. There is so much information on the original Smithfields, the general view seems to be that the Smithfield is a type of Beardie but this is not settled of course.

We would be grateful for any information on these lovely dogs.

What's worrying in that standard is that only the last quarter mentions work, briefly.

As I said before, two of my fathers uncles were drovers and they crossed a collie with a labrador to give them a good strong dog to drive cattle.

In those days the standard for a drovers dog was "must be able to turn a cow with calf at foot."

With most farmers nowadays this is still the test for a cattle dog.

• Like 3

So he says.

I'm lead to believe he buys entire litters of any old breeding and sells them on as whatever a potential client is lookin for.

I have it on good authority that his house is full of cages containing various pups. Even the toilet has cages stacked to the ceiling.

Those lookin for an old fashioned traditional type lurcher would do better seeking out a line of genuine Beardie/Greyhound or Beardie based lurcher than falling for the Smithfield/Tumbler sales pitch.

Incidentally the Smithfield and the Tumbler were two very different types of dog that carried out very different tasks.

Col David Hancock, the canine historian not the dog breeder has written some great books on old herding types as has Iris Combe.

Worth checking out.

• Like 6

I'd completely agree with Magpie's comments and would also add that, as far as I'm aware, the reason the Smithfields from the southern hemisphere are so named is because of their resemblance to the old Smithfield type. However, unlike the "original" they are still bred and worked whereas the "original" has just become a name used to sell lurchers with no recourse to actual working ability. That's not to say that such dogs don't or won't work though.

• Like 3

Always been a subject of intrest to me, as said the smithfield would have gone into decline with the arrival of the railways.I would have thought that the drovers dogs of the 19th century wouldnt have resembled the modern day view of the smithfield lurcher, the penalties for poaching were far to severe to own a dog that would draw attention to the owner, bearing in mind that the drovers trails passed through many well keepered estates,. No doubt it was handy to own a dog that could supplement the drovers diet, but were smithfields really the pinnacle of the pot filling lurcher, or were they the figment of victorian writers with little or no experience of poaching or the drovers lifestyle, food for thought. :hmm:

• Like 2

:yes:The majority of antique,Victorian, Edwardian poaching books and tales of such folk,.were mostly penned by country gents and others that had been captivated by the romantic notion of 'ye olde poacher',.etc...

Facts are, they just repeated what they had been told....these silly feckers should have got the jail for impersonating poachers :laugh:

Smithfields still exist, in areas where a Herder is required to hunt up his sheep,.ie; New Zealand and similar high country...The working type of beardie collie still survives in parts of Scotland and fulfils a similar role to the old style Drovers dog....I have bred my own style of Smithfield lurcher in the past,..and was real pleased with them... :thumbs:

• Like 8