Anyone Work Castrated Hobs?

I no longer have any ferrets but I previously kept three castrated males together year round. They all got on fine and worked well too. Initial outlay for the op is the only drawback.

Neal did you have any issues with weight gain,,,,or did you just keep on top of what they ate

• Like 1

I work 3 castraited hobs, live together quite happily and I don't think it affects there work, been out today and had a few rabbits and also bolted a vixen, f*#cker made me jump, came out the hole about 3 foot from me!

Hope she didn't jump into a net - that's when the fun really starts :laugh:

• Like 1

I have a castrated hob, he was originally going to be vasectomised but difficulty in finding a vet to do it at a realistic price led me to get him castrated so he could stay with the four jills I have. He doesn't get worked much but when he gets out there he's as keen as mustard,having no balls does seem to have stopped his ability to hunt in any way.

This a picture of him from this morning, he was latched on to this screaming bunny on the other side of a wall that I couldn't net up. He kept hold of it until I could make my way round to him.

post-66191-0-46153900-1424554767_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I work 3 castraited hobs, live together quite happily and I don't think it affects there work, been out today and had a few rabbits and also bolted a vixen, f*#cker made me jump, came out the hole about 3 foot from me!

Hope she didn't jump into a net - that's when the fun really starts :laugh:

We were out with the farmer who wanted a couple of shots so I netted up and left a couple for him, fox bolted more or less under his feet and by the time he finished swearing his two shots clean missed!

I only work jills and keep a vasectomised hob who never works. I have thought about working castrated hobs, especially at this time of the year when I'm still ferreting and the big fella' is dragging my best workers around keeping them awake when they should be resting for the long work days ahead. However would there be any issues keeping an entire/vasectomised hob, entire jills and castrated hobs together. Would the entire hob start fighting with the castrated one. I know that when they come into season my lad either wants to f**k or fight whatever is in his cage.

I only work jills and keep a vasectomised hob who never works. I have thought about working castrated hobs, especially at this time of the year when I'm still ferreting and the big fella' is dragging my best workers around keeping them awake when they should be resting for the long work days ahead. However would there be any issues keeping an entire/vasectomised hob, entire jills and castrated hobs together. Would the entire hob start fighting with the castrated one. I know that when they come into season my lad either wants to f**k or fight whatever is in his cage.

I used to keep a vasectomised hob in the same cage as entire jills and castrated hobs and they were all fine. But I've only done it once and one swallow doesn't make a summer - my guess is it'll vary from hob to hob. But I'm planning on trying it again...