Built this years ago at maybe age 12 or 13, it has lain in the shed forgotten but just found it the other day. I repaired it making a new spring steel retainer for the bolts and a new bolt also gave it all a coat of wax and a bit of TLC.

Bow is spring steel from a hand saw blade. Unbelievably fast and very powerful for its size, not something i would want a twelve year old on the loose with today! Last picture was shot point blank but gives an idea of power.

DSCN6423_zpsa3517d13.jpg

DSCN6424_zpsa2f94ddf.jpg

DSCN6432_zps19cd4fb9.jpg

DSCN6434_zps24723734.jpg

DSCN6428_zps98b0b3cf.jpg

• Like 7

if i was makeing stuff like that at 12 they of been a lot of very upset cat about lol

Seemed to have a facination at that age with high speed projectiles. Once made a minature muzzle loader that would shoot a single grain of shotgun shot through a tin can, thankfully I never shot the cat! :angel:

• 9 months later...

Good that griff how far is it accurate at

Shot that apple off my boys head at 30 yards. ;)................. Seriously though with no sights it's not that good for long range, probably 6 inch grouping at 12 feet maybe a bit better depends on the bolts, that one in the pic is pretty good- bamboo shaft, feather fletch, spring steel broad-head. So unless you want to hunt mice at 6 feet it is only good for impressing your mates. It would be interesting to put a chrony on it as it is unbelievably quick, at close range(6feet) you hear the thwack of impact at the same time as puling the trigger. You also hear impact at the same time you feel the recoil which is an uncanny feeling that keeps me going back and doing it again and again.

• 6 months later...

Great X Bow!!

As a boy (over 30years ago) I made all kind of bows, x-bows, guns, spears, sling shots.. etc. A mirracle I'm still allive ;) as once a "gun" (steel tube closed with a screw, powder, nails...) exploded and the screw went through a 1cm thick wooden plank... imagine me aiming...

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 2

Great X Bow!!

As a boy (over 30years ago) I made all kind of bows, x-bows, guns, spears, sling shots.. etc. A mirracle I'm still allive ;) as once a "gun" (steel tube closed with a screw, powder, nails...) exploded and the screw went through a 1cm thick wooden plank... imagine me aiming...

Regards

Nicolas

Aye that was proper childhood. Once(35years agoe) put one of those small disposable co2 cylinders through a stone wall with a "cannon" (pipe packed with paper caps & match heads). Another time a "cannon" full of weed killer blew up and desintergrated the 3 concrete blocks i had it propped up on.............happy days........be labeled as a terrorist if you did stuff like that now.

• Like 1