Worst Season And ( Shortest For Years)

This has got to be one of the worst season for the lack of rabbits on my permissions also the ones that were about have never stopped breeding good for next year hopefully stopped ferreting a couple of weeks ago doesent seem a even got started were has all the cold weather gone went out last night to a golf course with the lamp and air gun all a seen was young rabbits glad it's over hope it's better next year.

• Like 1

same here its dire , my main perm is thick cheshire rolling fields & woodland with endless warrens in the wood every part covered in holes ,if you ferret every warren theres only odd ones bolting from 30/60 holes its just not worth the graft . im leaveing them alone now untill after xmas (thats when the cover dies ) in fact i may not even bother ferreting again i have got rid of nearly all my gear :cray:

• Like 1

Last winter was very mild allowing fleas to keep breeding and myxi last summer was rife. My dogs picked up diseased rabbits every day.

Its been a bit colder this year maybe it will be a bumper year for young rabbits. We have been getting reasonable numbers but I haven't been out a lot

same here its dire , my main perm is thick cheshire rolling fields & woodland with endless warrens in the wood every part covered in holes ,if you ferret every warren theres only odd ones bolting from 30/60 holes its just not worth the graft . im leaveing them alone now untill after xmas (thats when the cover dies ) in fact i may not even bother ferreting again i have got rid of nearly all my gear :cray:

Same as mate,vast majority of our permission is in Cheshire and numbers are well down :hmm: saw no sign of myxi through summer whilst walking the land so its not that,as you say its disheartening putting 50+ nets on to bolt one or two ,wont be throwing the towel in though :laugh:

I was on for a bloody good year but mixi, hit had a couple of decent mornings with the ferrets,and a few good nights with the dog early season,but once I saw the mixi I left well alone,saw some early young this morning just two though,but with any luck things will turn around,

From what I've seen rabbit numbers tend to go in cycles,..... Last year was both cold and wet and most of us experienced severe flooding at some point,...Although locally we've had both mixi & damp / wet conditions this year I still can't see the numbers getting any better for next year...

I think for rabbit numbers to recover to what they were takes several years rather than several months...

Same as mate,vast majority of our permission is in Cheshire and numbers are well down :hmm: saw no sign of myxi through summer whilst walking the land so its not that,as you say its disheartening putting 50+ nets on to bolt one or two ,wont be throwing the towel in though :laugh:
Haven't even bothered putting nets down last few times been out just let the ferrets work down hedge rows flushing what's in for dog doing full hedges to flush 1 rabbit not much fun a lot of the undergrowth hasent even died back this year av got bloody roses out in me front garden think a might give it one more season to see what happens if it continues like this will pack the lot in its not worth the effort.

Haven't even bothered putting nets down last few times been out just let the ferrets work down hedge rows flushing what's in for dog doing full hedges to flush 1 rabbit not much fun a lot of the undergrowth hasent even died back this year av got bloody roses out in me front garden think a might give it one more season to see what happens if it continues like this will pack the lot in its not worth the effort.

i will just use my rapid in the future as i really enjoy the stalk & shot these days ,after 45 years of ferreting im haveing a well deserved break , got my bassing head on now ,can wait for my first casts in the saltwater ,happy days to come hopefully

i will just use my rapid in the future as i really enjoy the stalk & shot these days ,after 45 years of ferreting im haveing a well deserved break , got my bassing head on now ,can wait for my first casts in the saltwater ,happy days to come hopefully

Tight lines mate.

same here lads plenty of permission in Cheshire but rabbits are a bit scarce

I was only saying this morning to my ferreting partner we're having to work hard for a bag of rabbits

got 6 this morning but it was 6 digs, got next w/end then I think that's me done

• Like 1

No, don't do that fella, you'll regret it. It's in our blood, keep going :-)

Atb

• Like 1

Thought last week was the end of it for me with the rabbits but couldn't resist popping out for a wee while after lunch today in the plantations just the ferret and dog for company dog missed a couple but put a few in the bag. One of the last of the day looked like it had a bellyful of young so once the ferret had resurfaced popped her back down. I had more than enough to carry for the 5 min walk home. Good end to my season and a chance to step back from all the seriousness and enjoy bieng out.

2D9209D5-F1AF-4CF2-9414-57B832116612_zps

All the best.

Edited by fitchet
  • Like 2

Thought last week was the end of it for me with the rabbits but couldn't resist popping out for a wee while after lunch today in the plantations just the ferret and dog for company dog missed a couple but put a few in the bag. One of the last of the day looked like it had a bellyful of young so once the ferret had resurfaced popped her back down. I had more than enough to carry for the 5 min walk home. Good end to my season and a chance to step back from all the seriousness and enjoy bieng out.

2D9209D5-F1AF-4CF2-9414-57B832116612_zps

All the best.

Top class :-) nice dog too.

Atb

• Like 1