Petrol Lawn Mower

For a petrol cylinder mower for domestic use you want either an Atco Balmoral or a Masport Olympic. Neither of them are cheap. You need to know that unless your lawn is pretty much level and you want to be cutting at least twice a week then a cylinder mower isn't really for you. May I ask why she wants to swap from rotary to cylinder?

For a petrol cylinder mower for domestic use you want either an Atco Balmoral or a Masport Olympic. Neither of them are cheap. You need to know that unless your lawn is pretty much level and you want to be cutting at least twice a week then a cylinder mower isn't really for you. May I ask why she wants to swap from rotary to cylinder?

We're going to have a couple of fields which will be taken care of by sheep, but also a couple of "nice" gardens that will need mowing (by her) :laugh: Maybe just a better quality rotary then what we use now for our postage stamp size garden might do the trick?

I

We're going to have a couple of fields which will be taken care of by sheep, but also a couple of "nice" gardens that will need mowing (by her) :laugh: Maybe just a better quality rotary then what we use now for our postage stamp size garden might do the trick?

I would suggest that unless you are adamant about having a cylinder mower, then a good quality rotary with a rear roller to give the classic striped look. Hayter harriers are reasonable and come in a range of cutting widths and so are some of the Honda mowers. Try to get a mower with a blade brake clutch. That means that when you stop to empty the grass box you can leave the engine running so don;t have to keep restarting it.

• Like 2

We had a petrol lawn mower, I'll try mind the make cause it was nothing but awful. First the wheels seized up, then the wheels started to fall off... Finally it went on fire, got another go out of it tho still worked until went to pull the cord to start and it come off in the hand - bloody thing, have to get the name of it it's still out there somewhere lol

Anyways the goat will now be tied out the front garden, cause that's was just too much :laugh:

hi,

I used to do a lot of grass cutting for a living when I was landscape gardening, I found that the Honda had a good engine but they were very heavy and a bit on the clumsy side, all I ever used was the hayter harrier professional, which have a roller, for leaving nice stripes on the lawn, one of these for your personal garden would be ideal and last a lifetime as they are very reliable and easy to work on,

with a cylinder mower, you get a better conditioned lawn but the draw back is it dosent always cut the daisy stems or strands, along with this the lawn would need to be relatively level, also if you did happen to hit a stone, its more hassle than a rotary blade,

hope this helps you, tl

• Like 2

ive got a mountfield petrol mower i had give me. briggs stratton engine. its a bloody good mower but its getting on abit now lol. i treated myself to a brand new honda izzy last tuesday afternoon. it was in the sale as it was last years model, they have changed the colour of this years mowers by all accounts. my mate reckons i should get a good 10 years from it easy.

i bought the the one you push yourself as the same mower but self prepelled was a £100 dearer, i couldnt justify spending that much extra on something that does the same job if i push it myself.

given the choice i would go for a honda everytime as i havent go a massive budget. i couldnt believe the price of some of them over a £1000.