Mackerel Fishing From The Rocks

If I wanted to fish for mackerel from the rocks, would a fairly heavy carp rod and reel do the job?

I know most people use heavy, heavy tackle for sea fishing, but I can't really see why to catch a 1lb mackerel.

And I don't mean now. I mean in the summer.

Advice/tips much appreciated. :thumbs:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes i use carp rods all the time ,just dont do a full pendulum job lol let the rod compress enough to lob them out , dont use more than 2ozs i use a spod rod most times its capable of a bit more , d

great sport on a 2lbs carp rod or a spinning rod i cant wait for june/july when there running this year i am going to try fly fishing for them.

I use a 3lbTC carp rod, with a 3.5oz lead and 30lb shockleader with feathers

Posted Images

yes i use carp rods all the time ,just dont do a full pendulum job lol let the rod compress enough to lob them out , dont use more than 2ozs i use a spod rod most times its capable of a bit more , dont forget if you get a full string of fish its a lot of pressure , i cut my trace down to 3 white feathers with 2 oz bomb :thumbs:

• Like 2

Dunno about where you are Walshie, but down here has been pretty shit for mackerel the last few years, they didnt seem to come close enough to the shore to have a cast at them. The old boy round the corner has just bought a 17ft boat so I should get on them this year.

• Like 1

do they still come in large numbers,years back we caught a load when tide was right it fetched them in to the harbour all the locals were at them ,that was at brixham and I had a good few from the shore at a spot called port eynon :icon_eek: I think that trip was over 40 year ago,but great days.

do they still come in large numbers,years back we caught a load when tide was right it fetched them in to the harbour all the locals were at them ,that was at brixham and I had a good few from the shore at a spot called port eynon :icon_eek: I think that trip was over 40 year ago,but great days.

Normally there's a limited time through the summer when they're in in large numbers. Think it's the bait fish that get pushed in by the makeral and bait fish and makeral wind up in large numbers close to the shore against piers etc. Can catch them enmasse in some parts of uk, usually around July/august time and stock up the freezers

• Like 1

Love fishing for, and eating mackrel..fishing with light gear great sport but I'm a numbers man so a bit heavier tackle half a dozen flies and a spinner

Last time i fished then got a trebler in me finger and had to fish for a few hours with it in my finger as the mackrel were in and I wasn't going to miss them

Bye it took some getting out

post-97768-0-26808400-1423933800_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Love fishing for, and eating mackrel..fishing with light gear great sport but I'm a numbers man so a bit heavier tackle half a dozen flies and a spinner

Last time i fished then got a trebler in me finger and had to fish for a few hours with it in my finger as the mackrel were in and I wasn't going to miss them

Bye it took some getting out

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

dead easy to get the hook out loop some line around the imbedded hook bend then push the hook eye downwards with a swift pull on the line you wont even feel it come out ,itshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrtDIYuyOo8 painless trust me

• Like 1

Put my hand in my tackle bag and found a pike trace .had a similiar injury .was a saturday night and there was no way i was going to a+e .got my sister to hold it with forceps while i pulled my hand away ,made an audible pop! ..back to topic ...do alot of summer fishing always use carp tackle from brighton marina . You see bites you would miss on a beach rod. get a real scrap fom mackerel and black bream and garfish

on light rods. if using feathers just cut afew of the hooks off at the bend leaving feather for attraction.