Plummer Terrier

I find these posts quite amusing. Its been about 13 or 14 years since I stopped earthwork with terriers.

I was at it for over 25 years and I find there is some amount of P$sh written about terriers. IMO.

Some of the most successful terriermen , ie catch around 100 foxes per season use bolting terriers and only dig as a last resort.

Their dogs rarely get badly marked up and they are capable of getting called out an earth.

These guys have been doing this for maybe half a century, but if they came on here they probably would get slagged off by all the keyboard warriors on here.

Not everyone works their terriers in the same way. Some have a dog that will stay all day until dug to....I've had dogs like this and enjoyed them.

Others prefer a terrier to work its fox and bolt it without fuss.........I've had dogs like this too and also enjoyed them.

It should be each to their own. As long as your successful at what you do and enjoy it, what does it matter.

For the record, about 30 years ago I met some lads from the north of England with a Plummer dog. These boys dug a lot of quarry with it and from what I remember rated it highly.

The bloodline of this dog will still be around somewhere I should imagine so I would imagine that some lads with Plummers will have decent earthdogs, but as I say I have been away from the terrier scene for quite a few years so maybe I'm wrong.

good post david , i also done many many years foxing , never less than 100+ a year , one of my best grafters was a little russel bitch she would stand off & bay but mixed it when needed that bitch bolted more foxes than any of my fell types ,never got stuck & i could call her out or stay untull dug she would be laughed at on here but she more than earned her keep god bless the little girl ;)

Thanks mate. I myself never did more than about 50 in a year.

After reading some comments, it seems bolting dogs are not thought of as highly as stayers which I find strange. But it takes allsorts I suppose.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to the guys that get fed up with the plummer threads. fair comment. i get fed up with the same old. old nuttal new nuttal . and the ken gould threads and the middleton pish that has been done to dea

i remember the first time plumber showed up to us , myself ,dave roberts gary middleton & all the usual suspects was at edgeworth terrier show , we was all haveing a drink & a yarn when this g

You don't train a dog for earthwork you breed for it.

Posted Images

Like i say to far for me as within the last hour i've had a local farmer/keeper at my door asking for me to check his earths tomorrow and there all wintin 4 miles of my home,after that some ratting in the cover crops so best of both worlds for me :victory: .

I will just add that russell bitch in that pic went ratting with me last night and has taken more punisment than she ever has under the turf :yes: but then i must be talking some bollocks as rats don't give a terrier stick do they? :whistling:

well said bud bin trying to get that across for the last two year on here,atb Keith, j.
  • Like 3

I maybe stupid but I'm not putting a picture of a dead fox, a spotless terrier and a man who is also spotlessly clean trying to make out its a dug fox, I'm guessing if the picture was showing the fellas feet he'd have a pair of slippers on!! And for the record I've got nothing against plummers I've never seen one In the flesh and if it wasn't for the internet on seeing one id of thought it was a Russell ( I don't go to shows either). The only one I've ever heard of ( not on the web) was a fella I know dug one a few years back and said it performed well, this is a Russell and black dog man so if it's good enough on his say so it's good enough for me

This the internet mate where messers hide and anyone can be a hero .In the flesh is where it counts.To put your money where your mouth is, is not an option when the whole world can see a pic or two whether they are mocked or not .If i come across as condescending its not because i am, its more to do with a desire to pass on knowledge to anyone interested ,a fact im fast losing interest in due to recent phone conversations .Im very consious i wont be doing it for ever and would like to think i leave behind some knowledge and the odd dog bred for purpose .How many of you can truly say you want to be a teacher ,to teach youngsters the old ways and instill good practice ,not many as some are stuck in a bubble where only themselves matter .Ive extended invites to a good many lads and made some good mates on here ,ive also met the idiots but not once have i posted that fact good or bad as like i said its all about the dogs .

• Like 4

Like i say to far for me as within the last hour i've had a local farmer/keeper at my door asking for me to check his earths tomorrow and there all wintin 4 miles of my home,after that some ratting in the cover crops so best of both worlds for me :victory: .

I will just add that russell bitch in that pic went ratting with me last night and has taken more punisment than she ever has under the turf :yes: but then i must be talking some bollocks as rats don't give a terrier stick do they? :whistling:

well said bud bin trying to get that across for the last two year on here,atb Keith, j.
Perhaps i could come to you then mate ,i have a few dogs in need of a ratting sesh and maybe help out with a few foxes ,genuine post .

WCM its not all about you mate ,you are not the voice for Plummers Uk ,the offer didnt include you as ive no desire to watch foxes dancing in nets or you dancing the other way lol.

Imo,its no big deal to dig a fox with any terrier whatever the breed as most breeds will work a fox.I seen a very small yorkie bitch about 30 year ago that was a demon on fox,also seen a small collie bitch that was dug to on fox several times,she might not reach everyone she went to but she certainly tried.Plummer terrier,no reason why it should'nt work fox aswell.

• Like 2

getting a result for landowner is key , if the fox needed digging you dig to terrier if they bolt to nets or guns fine, if they were on top on the day in bales bolt em to the gun in wood piles and drains , if in brambles bolt em if you got a dog that can do the job in that lot that's a terrier , I liked a digging dog myself but a a dog for everyday will get the result , cant lay fresh air on the farmers doorstep if they on top the day you visit farm and want a dig

Edited by fourlurchers
  • Like 1

Thats why i bought a rifle .This will rage on forever but to me a terrier is more than a cover buster ,drain yapper but thats just my take on it .Fatman says any terrier will work a fox ,true to some extent but how many can be relied on to see it through no matter what ,only the best and there lies your answer to why passion comes into it. Unless you are paid then laziness is the only criteria preventing anyone from owning the real deal.

• Like 3

Thats why i bought a rifle .This will rage on forever but to me a terrier is more than a cover buster ,drain yapper but thats just my take on it .Fatman says any terrier will work a fox ,true to some extent but how many can be relied on to see it through no matter what ,only the best and there lies your answer to why passion comes into it. Unless you are paid then laziness is the only criteria preventing anyone from owning the real deal.

Foxdropper I admire your passion for the working terrier.

At one time I was the same. Some folk go about terrier work in a half-hearted way,

but its passion that makes a line/strain/breed into something special. :thumbs:

All the best mate

• Like 1

foxdropper thats the second time you have given this offer. hats off to you :thumbs: ive had three plummers in recent years one was not up to the task one was given to my son and the last one i keep for working allround. ferretting and the odd fox. she is well past it now and on the big side for most folk but could be dug to she was a very handy terrier for me and made me look good on some more than once :D so i dont own a plummer that is up to the task at the moment. so i'm out. however if you repeat this offer one more time for next season i have a very good prospect that will be getting started next season. not a full plummer but hey near enough. :laugh: . the other problem i have with your offer is you have probably culled better than ive owned as i have a notion on bolting foxes if at all possible. like some others on this thread i also have unlimited permision due to my work so its not difficult to find work for my dogs i'm enjoying this thread and following with interest.

my old bitch Sassy in her prime. tethered up. she carries a lot of bull so not favoured by some.

post-2078-0-37069700-1424467673_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

foxdropper thats the second time you have given this offer. hats off to you :thumbs: ive had three plummers in recent years one was not up to the task one was given to my son and the last one i keep for working allround. ferretting and the odd fox. she is well past it now and on the big side for most folk but could be dug to she was a very handy terrier for me and made me look good on some more than once :D so i dont own a plummer that is up to the task at the moment. so i'm out. however if you repeat this offer one more time for next season i have a very good prospect that will be getting started next season. not a full plummer but hey near enough. :laugh: . the other problem i have with your offer is you have probably culled better than ive owned as i have a notion on bolting foxes if at all possible. like some others on this thread i also have unlimited permision due to my work so its not difficult to find work for my dogs i'm enjoying this thread and following with interest.

my old bitch Sassy in her prime. tethered up. she carries a lot of bull so not favoured by some.

attachicon.gifIMG_0533.JPG

How old is she now mate?

The years seem to march on eh?

One day you may get a good 'un.....LOL

• Like 1

Foxdropper to put it in a different way.Pre-ban when people could dig bigger game to have a terrier that you could dig consistently to badger was a good terrier,but i seen a hell of a lot of failed badger dogs that you could dig fox with week in week out.Lads also talk of bolting terriers,what good would they have been pre-ban where a bolt very seldom happened.I agree that a bolting type of terrier is probably usful to a hunt terrier man that has a job to do and he has to do it fast as possible to keep the huntsman happy or in undiggable places where if it dont bolt it can be called out,every man to his own,but i like a stayer.

• Like 7

Plummers are a relatively new breed compared with the patts , jrt as far as earthwork is concerned maybe if the patt / jrt bragade were to give these plummers ago , I have no doubt at all they would have a completely different view on plummers , but if your preference Is a patt, jrt or what ever, then fair do's we can't all have the same likes in life so ATB what ever you choose

Gift me a pup and it will get the graft mate ,the catch for you would be the word gift im sure but i live in hope .