What Deer Calibre For First Deer Rifle.

A .243 is more than capable for most realistic stalking scenarios for any species of deer in the uk and will double up as a fantastic fox rifle. Hell even a .222 in the right hands will do the job. Personally I think the only way you'd consistently have a chest shot deer drop is to have a caliber so heavy and fast your game dealer would tell you to go somewhere else! By passing up the 'maybe' shots and making sure of the ones you take you may still get some runners but they won't get far.

As for scopes it's been mentioned somewhere else recently but instead of the S&B 8x56 a Meopta 7x50 is a fantastic alternative (and half the price).... going against popular opinion i expect but having had both I'd choose the Meopta every time.

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From reading this it's clear you know little about shooting deer as well The vast majority of deer legal rounds i.e. .243 .308 etc will pass "right through and some"

Absolutely mate. But the way I see it if I apply the same safe shooting practices I do now with .22lr, .22-250 etc I should be alright. I know they will be an extremely greater bullet weight/velocity

Not pedantic at all, and no technically about it, either it is correct or not, and in this case I am 100% correct, so now you know, it will save the embarrassing silence, when you are corrected at a B

I'd struggle to own a single rifle that would be suitable to shoot everything from Muntjac and not destroy it to a big Russian Bear (no pun intended) and kill it outright,

If Boar is going to be big on your agenda then you want a powerful round, .270 is the minimum recommendation in the HO guidelines but I dare say I'd look at a bit more punch than that for margin of error on a very tough animal,

A bear is a whole new ball game, an injured boar can be dangerous, an injured bear is fatal. I'd want him very dead from a heavy slug.

For me, there's too much variation in quarry for one gun. I'd be looking at chopping your .22-250 in for a .243 for your foxes and deer then something considerably heavier for boar and other tough critters, the 30-06 will do that job easily and can be loaded in a variety of bullet weights.

Then if you do end up on a bear hunting trip, borrow a rifle from whoever organises it. A .300 Win Mag will struggle to stop a bear at the first shot, often needing a second and that's 1000 ft/lbs more energy than a hot .30-06 load. Little wonder some of my Canadian friends carry a .375 H&H Magnum for bears.

SS ;)

P.S. as mentioned, some countries don't allow civilian use of firearms chambered in a military calibre, France is one I know of, and the .30-06 is a military round so you might have that to consider.

Perhaps a little research into what calibre is required for your chosen quarry in the country's mentioned would be a start if memory serves 7mm minimum for boar in Poland

Edited to add if you want a all purpose gun from fox to bear 300 rum is the only choice mine launched a 110gr vmax at 4200 fps or a 210 gr nosler at 3000 fps

some countries have a "thing" about civilian use of military calibres, so 30-06 maybe a more sensible choice

I think you will find .30-06 IS a military calibre mate :yes: if you are going to shoot boar, .270 is the minimum, and what a cracking all rounder a .270 is, its a necked down .30-06 as is .25-06, .270 would be a superb choice mate.

• Like 1

some countries have a "thing" about civilian use of military calibres, so 30-06 maybe a more sensible choice

I think you will find .30-06 IS a military calibre mate :yes: if you are going to shoot boar, .270 is the minimum, and what a cracking all rounder a .270 is, its a necked down .30-06 as is .25-06, .270 would be a superb choice mate.

its only good for friendly fire though :thumbs:

As a point of interest, the 30.06 the .270 and the 25.06 all share the same basic case, just the neck and as a consequence the bullet calibre change.

The 30.06 was the original design. The other 2 are 'wildcat' developments of the original.

Thanks a lot lads. I think the best thing to do for me is get a bigger deer rifle then as said hire a rifle as and when I get the chance to hunt much bigger dangerous game.

On the basis that I assume you'll be shooting more deer & fox's than bear and buffalo that's sense talking... Although a Royal holland & holland double rifle in .400 nitro could come in handy for sika stags in thick woodland.....