• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made this the end of last summer. As with my other posts common the theme is recycled materials. Boards are off -cuts of roof sarking, came in a load of firewood. Rope is off the beach. Total cost is

Youtube !!!!!!!! My boy has been watching some guy cut big bits of wood into small bits and gluing them back together again. Anyway after rummaging in my scrap wood pile he has made these two chopping

Knew my lad was working at something and keeping it out of sight so i played along and gave him his own space. He presented me with this knife las-night as an anniversary present. Landy spring blade a

Posted Images

You're a real talented bloke and looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, that's a really impressive project for a solo 15 year old lad!

Great to see kids outside playing and using their hands reminds me of my childhood :D hope your kids realise just how lucky they are having the sort of childhood most of their peers can only dream of. I'm sure they're a credit to you :thumbs:

Edited by BGD
  • Like 2

Thanks BDG, good to see input from new/ returning faces, just seems to be a few regulars recently.

I got free range in my dads shed as a youngster, don't rely think you appreciate until you look back on it, just take it for granted at the time. The only power tool he has was an angle grinder, spent many happy days grinding away on old files to make knives. No tempering or anything but they were actually pretty good as they were, brittle but took a good edge. Later had a very basic homemade lathe that an engineer friend of dads gave me......many nun-chucks made on that :whistling: much the the envy of my mates. :laugh:

• Like 1

Britain was built on blokes inventing in their sheds :thumbs:

Brilliant work Griff, As said, your lad takes after you obviously with the quality of his work :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

John :)

Thanks John. Yes he is a bit of a perfectionist. I used to have to everything done to a high finish whether it need it or not. But life is too short and i churn out too much stuff, can sill put a good finish on if required but quite happy to chop, weld and a quick grind if that will suffice. He dosn't quite have the speed thing yet but sure that will come when he has 3 kids of his own, a job and a shed load of things to make & repair. :laugh:

• Like 2

Yep all his own idea start to finish, i had no hands on at all. He asked questions a couple of times, i gave him several ways he could proceed, he took it from there.

It takes some experience to work things through, before hand, cause and effect etc. To actually see that he needed to reverse the spindle on the peddles, shows a thought process beyond his years. :thumbs: Well done that young man.

TC

• Like 1

The boy is obviously routed from the same block as you Griff , was going to say a chip of the old block but it's not up to the quality of your team ... Please don't show us any work done by your daughter with the router I couldn't stand the shame !! Brilliant thread ..

• Like 2

The boy is obviously routed from the same block as you Griff , was going to say a chip of the old block but it's not up to the quality of your team ... Please don't show us any work done by your daughter with the router I couldn't stand the shame !! Brilliant thread ..

Sorry sussex can't resist. This is her latest, she has done a few more.

DSCN6742_zpspy7zqt1z.jpg

• Like 5