Sheep Killers.. Shoot Them Or School Them

Quick question if you had a genuine dog very successful, done the lot so to speak. Would you cull if the dog took it's hand to sheep? I don't mean purposely hunting them as those dogs are good for f**k all, but I mean would take one if in the same field... ?

If the dog was that good you'd have no end of people willing to take it off your hands regardless of this fault, its the way of the world sadly.

True :thumbs:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe its owners responsibilty to break dog to livestock while its a pup before it kills another mans livelihood

If I had a dog which was previously stock broken, and for what ever reason it broke conditioning and started killing stock (any stock) I would bury it. There is no other responsible course of action

I also agree with you Dunkanon,but the dog I heard about was an outstanding animal on every quarry and his encounter with mutton was known and his sins overlooked with the strict practice of never run

Quick question if you had a genuine dog very successful, done the lot so to speak. Would you cull if the dog took it's hand to sheep? I don't mean purposely hunting them as those dogs are good for f**k all, but I mean would take one if in the same field... ?

no way..just try avoid slipping when sheep about.no sheep about certain spots anyway so be a waste of a good dog imo.

• Like 2

never had a single dog in 20 year broke to sheep and iv lamped all over the county without it ever causing a problem,im not saying there isnt any sheep but in the main its all arable if i did like the look of a spot that held sheep nearby id simply steer clear not being a fool to take the chance although its never once been a problem for me

take from that what you will but its never stopped or hindered me getting dog out lamping or daytime ever.

• Like 4

As a sheep farmer, I would hope the dog owner would do the responsible thing, and see the farmer and compensate him for the loss of the sheep ! Unfortunetly doesn't happen very often!

VERY TRUE.

THERE USUALLY AWAY WAE THE EWE THAT MAKES IT WORSE .

NOW ITS SHEEP THEFT.

IN SCOTLAND ITS STILL A HANGING OFFENCE ON THE BOOKS.

THEY DOO ONE THEYLL DO IT AGAIN!
IVE NOTICED OVER THE YEARS PET DOGS THAT ARE NOT WORKERS USUALLY ONLY WORRIE IN 2s MOST TIMES A LITTLE DOG AND A BIGGER ONE TERRIER TYPE

MY TAKE ON IT IS TERRIERS DRIVE LEADS IT ON TOO THE SHEEP.THE BIGGER DOG WHOS FOLLOWING THE SMALLER IS THERE BEFORE CONTACT INOCCENTLY .

ON MAKING CONTACT THE SMALLER ATTACKS FIRST ON DOING SO THE BIG DAFT MUPPETS DRIVE TAKES OVER AND BEING LARGER TACKLES THE EWE AND OVER SHE GOES WERAS THE SMALLER BAILS IN FOR THE KILL.

HAVE OCCASIONSLLY SEEN 3 ON THE PROWL BEFORE.

so called pet owners are the worst round us ,some have no common sence ,and no control of there dogs, then blame everybody but themselves when things go wrong, upsetting for them but there fault.

• Like 1

As a sheep farmer, I would hope the dog owner would do the responsible thing, and see the farmer and compensate him for the loss of the sheep ! Unfortunetly doesn't happen very often!

VERY TRUE.

THERE USUALLY AWAY WAE THE EWE THAT MAKES IT WORSE .

NOW ITS SHEEP THEFT.

IN SCOTLAND ITS STILL A HANGING OFFENCE ON THE BOOKS.

don't happen often because some of the knobs think they done nothing wrong, was at a farm last sat, the old man was telling me ,tell lad to only use the ferrets/nets, his sons are unhappy to say the least at mo somebodys dog had killed 4 sheep, then done one,been seen amongst them by someone,but not contacted farm.

god help the next poor bloke that knocks on his door requesting permission to hunt with dogs,thats dreadfull to see and even worse to have to replace

terrible that , it should make every dog owner want break there dog to sheep after seeing this link, even though no dog 100% safe with sheep that been proven on this post, but at least people should go out of the there way to try and train pups+dogs with stock :yes:

• Like 2

Do you believe it's your responsibility to protect another mans livelihood from a dog that's turned it's head to sheep by putting it down with no hesitation or do you believe you owe it to the dog to break it with the use of certain technics I.e the use of shock collars ect?

Personally I will try break the dog.

i show my dogs sheep from youngpups easy to teach them