Sheep Killers.. Shoot Them Or School Them

Do you believe it's your responsibility to protect another mans livelihood from a dog that's turned it's head to sheep by putting it down with no hesitation or do you believe you owe it to the dog to break it with the use of certain technics I.e the use of shock collars ect?

Personally I will try break the dog.

• Like 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe its owners responsibilty to break dog to livestock while its a pup before it kills another mans livelihood

If I had a dog which was previously stock broken, and for what ever reason it broke conditioning and started killing stock (any stock) I would bury it. There is no other responsible course of action

I also agree with you Dunkanon,but the dog I heard about was an outstanding animal on every quarry and his encounter with mutton was known and his sins overlooked with the strict practice of never run

Do you believe it's your responsibility to protect another mans livelihood from a dog that's turned it's head to sheep by putting it down with no hesitation or do you believe you owe it to the dog to break it with the use of certain technics I.e the use of shock collars ect?

I believe its owners responsibilty to break dog to livestock while its a pup before it kills another mans livelihood

• Like 16

Break it or move it on to a sheep free area. All the lads who say pts would you do the same if it grabbed a chicken or a moggie etc?

If I had a dog which was previously stock broken, and for what ever reason it broke conditioning and started killing stock (any stock) I would bury it. There is no other responsible course of action on mt book.

• Like 7

Yip me too, but seen a few dogs over the years "broke to sheep" join in with a dog that's not been. So it's not always as black and white as you may think.
  • Like 1

Yip me too, but seen a few dogs over the years "broke to sheep" join in with a dog that's not been. So it's not always as black and white as you may think.
Or Should I say not always as straight forward as you may think
  • Like 1

Had a real nice pup at the start of the year was my first proper pup real nice bitch only 8 month I got her around 4 months old one morning out ferreting we got a little to close to some sheep think they had lambs and the b*****ds started ramming her after that she was a totally different dog any chance she got she'd grab one luckily she didn't injure any she would of made a real good bitch but she went out wanting to attack them I'd let her off in 1field she'd run 3 fields away trying to find them things after this her recall just totally went to shit and tbh I didn't have the skills or time to get her out of it and she would of ended up getting me in trouble so she had to go to some one else not sure how there getting on with her mind..

Dont run your dogs with dogs that arent broke to sheep lol. Seriously though, if had a dog like that i would pts. I like to enjoy my days out and i couldnt be doing with worrying about that. Once dogs started down that line dont think id be able to trust it because you can bet as soon as its out of site itll do it again

• Like 1

Big difference between a dog that chases sheep one time and a sheep killer.

My dogs are broke to sheep, and two out of three have chased them, on a couple of occasions. Most times, it's a case of mistaken identity and running on the sound. Usually leads to a pull up, and looking scared! But once when young the whippet pulled one over, by its fleece. After a swift beating he was back in with sheep straight away, once chance. Didn't repeat that trick.

But I wouldn't trust any dog, in the wrong situation, blood up, under worked, over excited etc etc, up pops a lamb, and bang. . . .

As someone who farms sheep though, it's pet dogs that are by far and the worst culprits! Never heard of a sheep being killed by a lurcher locally, but a few to pets.

• Like 4

My boss is a part time sheep farm. Mid life crisis. Last year a load off sheep and lambs got done over and he had a little spat on our break. He was blaming lampers and must of been at least two lurchers. I was like if it was a lamper it would be most likely one that would get buckled not a load. More got done still disagreeing over it. I was like no hunter in the right mind would that you can't be blaming when you don't know. I offered him help and he refused. Offered him a traps just incase and no again. Next thing his missus comes in and said its a collie that's done the sheep its either a pet or farmer's dog. Mentioned it to him "so it's a collie doing the damage eh" aye yeah. No apology or fcuk the bellend

• Like 1

i had a good bloody talking to by a farm worker a week or so ago about dogs killing sheep on the farm a few weeks previous. luckily for me they are fully aware my dog is stock broken and allowed me to carry on as normal. also lucky for me they had shot the dog which was responsible it damn near cost me some permisson though and that would have probably had a knock on effect.

• Like 1