Adding Saluki Or Breeding It Back Out

another quick observation when the boys where over from Ireland I had couple of looks out with them, they had some very chancy dogs that killed some very good hares on some good land, one thing I did notice that my own dog was a lot smaller racier type than the irish lads generally had with em (think the pic bares that out lol) maybe youse need summat racier faster types for them smaller fields etc over their, I keep the sort I do cos he does it on doorstep which is small fields that his bread n butter Ive gotta admit if I was wantng a hare killer for over there I would not be starting with any pures at all even though I love em, think Id look at very fast killing racy lighter stock quick match types

id agree with you bud on that we definitely need early pace over here but we do have very good hares too in some parts where fast dogs just arent enough on there own. they do need stamina personally the best ones ive ever seen in ireland and thats just me was off a good fast lurcher bitch to a full saluki seen some real good ones like that. the saluki brain on a hare is a different class for me anyway. in comparison to a really fast type that gets tricked alot over going in too determined and loseing the hare. i suppose we need a fast dog that runs like a saluki or as we say in ireland a fast dog that can run a hare slow

• Like 2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bitch i was gifted below, has only a small bit of saluki, rest is irish terrier and greyhound, very happy with her, she is doing well for me, only had her a month and she has taken plenty... However

Irelands land is no different than half the land over in England forget The Fens and Cambridge and salisbury, you are hard pushed to find anything other than hedged and fenced land ,in the North west

takes a lot to get a good un for sure, but surely just using stuff cos of lines is a waste of time,? time n time again that's failed better to forget one that works and is well bred surely, think pers

Posted Images

Irelands land is no different than half the land over in England forget The Fens and Cambridge and salisbury, you are hard pushed to find anything other than hedged and fenced land ,in the North west and midlands other than around Southport nothing sizeable. That Mike as far as I have been told never ran a full season ,there are good salukis and the run of the mill show stuff ,Show me who has run the same x breds for the last 3 seasons other than a handful of lads, most are injury prone and most lads can stick to the slip like shit to a blanket . the problem doesnt sit with the salukis it sits fairly and squarely with lads breeding of any shite dogs and bitches they see kill a hare.Some one said a working dog doesnt guarantee a producer of stock no it does not but I know you will increase your chances looking at seasoned stock rather than something in a first or second season.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 5

To me, if you are trying to breed sommat back out, you really should question why you are breeding from it in the first place and not starting with just what you want. Diluting sommat down is one thing but you may as well forget about breeding it out as it really cant be done. ;)

I used Mikey over my bitch last April pups now 7 months old real happy with them all I can say is Mikey was in top notch condition as were all the mans dogs the man who had him at stud was real mice fella give me real good luck penny as I had a round trip of 340 miles fair play to the man atvb

• Like 2

to be breed in or out ya need right ones in first place :thumbs:

out of genuine interest did anyone take the time to course Mike or any of the other saluki over the water for a few seasons before breeding litters from them?

youse be better off buying a quality pup and spending a few year rearing entering and testing it imho

I think the white one with red patch is the only one that see steady work..ferreting bushing an lamping runs what ever rises in front him. dosnt make em a better dog than the other two when it comes to breeding. they ether producers or there not..work dosnt make a producer

takes a lot to get a good un for sure, but surely just using stuff cos of lines is a waste of time,? time n time again that's failed better to forget one that works and is well bred surely, think personally too many breed what they think will sell rather than what will work, no point in breeding for uk fens if your running in Ireland imho

I seen the pics of Mike chained up that Brookie mentioned earlier in the thread, now am assuming he did not stud ll them bitches free of charge? so why he chained up in poor condition liker he was? no respect for the animal at all but still happy to put him over every bitch that comes along and people blame the dogs if that's how they kept the rest obvious likesay no dig at anyone in particular just stating obvious

that was 18 mths ago richie that pic was posted on that site .the kindest thing for that poor dog was to be put down it was disgusting to see a dog kept like that in that condition .

I seen the pics of Mike chained up that Brookie mentioned earlier in the thread, now am assuming he did not stud ll them bitches free of charge? so why he chained up in poor condition liker he was? no respect for the animal at all but still happy to put him over every bitch

Pic of mike below taken couple of years ago and one recently mating a good bitch. I have not seen the pic of him chained up, the man that has him now, has had him for a good few years, his not far from me. I dont know him too well, but have bought the odd pup off him in years gone by. He keeps his dogs well fed and excersied. Dont think mike was ever worked here to the point where he would be prooven, however, he does seem to throw some good pups from time to time, as i owned one and she was a cracker, you seen her articgun, when the lads were over. Personally and from my experience, that line of saluki, seem very good and if brought on from a pup in the right hands, would do well. . :thumbs:

Mike1.jpg

post-86469-0-48061500-1423255023.jpg

• Like 1

I seen the pics of Mike chained up that Brookie mentioned earlier in the thread, now am assuming he did not stud ll them bitches free of charge? so why he chained up in poor condition liker he was? no respect for the animal at all but still happy to put him over every bitch

Pic of mike below taken couple of years ago and one recently mating a good bitch. I have not seen the pic of him chained up, the man that has him now, has had him for a good few years, his not far from me. I dont know him too well, but have bought the odd pup off him in years gone by. He keeps his dogs well fed and excersied. Dont think mike was ever worked here to the point where he would be prooven, however, he does seem to throw some good pups from time to time, as i owned one and she was a cracker, you seen her articgun, when the lads were over. Personally and from my experience, that line of saluki, seem very good and if brought on from a pup in the right hands, would do well. . :thumbs:

Mike1.jpg

attachicon.gifMike.jpg

seems to be enjoying life there..lol

• Like 1

He a stunning dog I would of loved too have owned him I mind Brookie telling me he had a temper even as a pup but often channelled right the headstrong ones are the better one than the more placid ones Ive found

It's good that he got place for life now and gets out n about n well looked after it will make all the difference to him he put some tidy stuff on floor I know MP Kim bitch top notch matched n beat me mates best dog n ran best land n hares in uk week in week out couple times a week too last that she must be class ive seen one bred out of him straight off boat n killing uk hare a lot comes down to who gets the pups and what they do with them even the very best producers only put a few true top class on ground mikes line will keep on giving for many years too come lot longer than some of the lurcher lines maybe

His not badly treated by this man anyhow. I have been with the man walking him across the fields. One thing about Mike is, he has some temper on him with other dogs and he is one hell of a good guard dog too. :thumbs:

his mother is like that .some fire in her .you got to keep your eye on her thats for sure .i really like that fire in a dog though

I used Mikey over my bitch last April pups now 7 months old real happy with them all I can say is Mikey was in top notch condition as were all the mans dogs the man who had him at stud was real mice fella give me real good luck penny as I had a round trip of 340 miles fair play to the man atvb

as i said lads the only man who said he was in bad nick was this brookie fella as i said i never seen the pics he was on about so i couldnt comment as for the man who has him me and charlie are the best of mates and i wouldnt say a bad thing about the man sound fella

Mike1.jpg

attachicon.gifMike.jpg

seems to be enjoying life there..lol

ya dont see any toes curled under either

His not badly treated by this man anyhow. I have been with the man walking him across the fields. One thing about Mike is, he has some temper on him with other dogs and he is one hell of a good guard dog too. :thumbs:

his mother is like that .some fire in her .you got to keep your eye on her thats for sure .i really like that fire in a dog though

I've seen that fire in my jihad bitch very placid bitch but sound wrong way she evil pure evil Nick named the witch lol Nero on other hand far better killer n worker alround go too a wider variety of game than bitch would ever consider but he ain't got that streak in him at all proper gentleman

Brookie you think that streak comes from Khan was asha ever like that I can't recollect you ever mentioning her in that light she seems placid type from memory I e see. Same streak in nero x Khan bitch dog bit more arsey at times to be watched but performance wise with him can't moan likesay narky high aggression types often come I to their own channeled right

Put to right bitches you get cracking stamp of dog going to saluki always gunna give wind sound feet n structure if bitch got the full whack about her then yA could be onto summat seen some good stuff buddy x saluki Romeo x saluki Kc Tilly fifty percent saluki many others some real good stock likesay lot goes on who gets em

He a stunning dog I would of loved too have owned him I mind Brookie telling me he had a temper even as a pup but often channelled right the headstrong ones are the better one than the more placid ones Ive found

It's good that he got place for life now and gets out n about n well looked after it will make all the difference to him he put some tidy stuff on floor I know MP Kim bitch top notch matched n beat me mates best dog n ran best land n hares in uk week in week out couple times a week too last that she must be class ive seen one bred out of him straight off boat n killing uk hare a lot comes down to who gets the pups and what they do with them even the very best producers only put a few true top class on ground mikes line will keep on giving for many years too come lot longer than some of the lurcher lines maybe

he throws back richie to the durak dog they are very similar .as a puppy he was one nasty fecker .he pinned a bloke to the fence once when he was nine mths old and bloke was terrified of him .his mother is the same .i was on a match once with miles and i had mike along as a saplin .i was inches away from gifting him .it would have been nice to have seen him in good hands from a youngster now . his sister with steve g was stopping em at ten mths but sadly got knocked down .his litter brother blade was the pick of em though he was going great guns as a saplin doing 3s in newark but he mt a sticky end and then there was mars .the other bitch in the litter broke a bone in her front leg as a youngster .so not a bad litter to be honest