Many chancer's tried to say they bred Smithy but it's common knowledge now who bred him and what way he was bred.

Either way one thing is for certain.

Smithy was used by some very good terrier men over their bitches and then after that the line was kept right.

And controversial or what one thing that's certain is that his blood is still very strong in a lot of good terrier mens kennels.

IMO there'll be terriers heavy on Smithy blood for a long time to come.

yip I no were there is a litter now with smithy in the ped the lad but it back to a Roberts bitch both parents are ment to be doing the job but I have never been on a big with them so couldn't comment

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last days hunting with him, he was as good as they say with both terrier and spade..............his people skills needed work though ?

I no longer post to this site, however I watch. I saw Smithy several times at work, he was a  very big lump of a dog. Not kept at a sporting weight as he was always kennelled,  tall as yr knees. I saw

Late 90's granddaughter of smithy most of my stuff is down from her.

Posted Images

Many chancer's tried to say they bred Smithy but it's common knowledge now who bred him and what way he was bred.

Either way one thing is for certain.

Smithy was used by some very good terrier men over their bitches and then after that the line was kept right.

And controversial or what one thing that's certain is that his blood is still very strong in a lot of good terrier mens kennels.

IMO there'll be terriers heavy on Smithy blood for a long time to come.

yip I no were there is a litter now with smithy in the ped the lad but it back to a Roberts bitch both parents are ment to be doing the job but I have never been on a big with them so couldn't comment
dig

lol smittie will be talked about & argued over for years to come , the stig ,wherever hes gone knows probably more than most, i know lots of other great terriers about at the same time ,smaller ,probably better dogs too ,but smittie was a legend ,frank staceys dogs was just as hard ken mated smittie with some of franks bitches , its ok haveing a hard dog but a smaller dog gets to more quarry & trust me when they all have been smashed time in time out they all stand off & bay :thumbs:

Or throw the towel in.

Why was he passed on so many times if he was such a good dog?? Not doubting his quality but could it not be possible that the dogs only a legend because of the people who owned him rather than his ability under the sod?

The lads from Essex sold him because he was rock hard and totally mute.They reckoned once he'd been to ground a while they would put a little yapper in to get up behind him then they'd dig to him and the gear which would always be dead.

So had to be 2 up to get a dig? Sounds an awesome dog

Is that what you took from that post you plank.[/quote

i agree idiot

You would be hard pressed to find a pat without smithy in the ped at some point if you can trace it back far enough.

there will be a hell of a lot of them just talking shit aswell just to sell pups

I agree, but it still doesn't get away from the fact that the dog will appear in most pats if you can trace the back far enough.

You would be hard pressed to find a pat without smithy in the ped at some point if you can trace it back far enough.

there will be a hell of a lot of them just talking shit aswell just to sell pups

I agree, but it still doesn't get away from the fact that the dog will appear in most pats if you can trace the back far enough.
yeah probably

I think what 5 feet down is getting at is if the men that owned and dug to the dog, would have dropped a sounder first then there would be no need for another dog in behind one. Just dig to the sounder. Point being why put a dog in to find a dog?

Edited by THE GENERAL

Why was he passed on so many times if he was such a good dog?? Not doubting his quality but could it not be possible that the dogs only a legend because of the people who owned him rather than his ability under the sod?

The lads from Essex sold him because he was rock hard and totally mute.They reckoned once he'd been to ground a while they would put a little yapper in to get up behind him then they'd dig to him and the gear which would always be dead.

So had to be 2 up to get a dig? Sounds an awesome dog

Is that what you took from that post you plank.[/quote

i agree idiot

pair of keyboards warriors! If it was pre locators and the dog was mute and had to enter a second dog to get a dig then it was f***ing useless! So I'm an idiot and a plank for not agreeing with a pair of numptys dreaming about dogs from past decades

i agree that the dog was useless for work if it required a second dog to do its job. But it wasnt useless in producing.
  • Like 1

One im not a keyboard warrior. Two im not into gouldy dogs. Three most prob didnt use the sounder in the first place because it was most prob shit and wouldnt stay or got pushed around an earth for hours on end. And i hate when people say that sort of dog wouldnt suit me. a proper digging dog should be able to be dug to anywhere in the country. I would not have a baying dog given me whats the point in them. I want to dig to a dog thats getting tested (and before people say thats not in the hunting act) f**k the hunting act.

• Like 8

Not interested in ego interested in working the dogs all type of dogs. going digging to me means actually digging to the dog and it staying put. they get the best food the best kenneling i put all the hard work into getting them ready for the dig i make sure they get the treatment they need what ever the cost after a dig i expect a good dig back.out of them no ego in that.

• Like 2