• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last days hunting with him, he was as good as they say with both terrier and spade..............his people skills needed work though ?

I no longer post to this site, however I watch. I saw Smithy several times at work, he was a  very big lump of a dog. Not kept at a sporting weight as he was always kennelled,  tall as yr knees. I saw

Late 90's granddaughter of smithy most of my stuff is down from her.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, dillydog said:

Nuttall bitch x Cowan terrier, Colin wrote the article to put the record straight

So when Gould met Nuttall, Gould didn't know who Nuttall was, and Nuttall didn't know that Smithy was out of his breeding? Great story, if true

I've sat with Ken and Brian on many occasions,  they hated each other with a passion. 

Ken was a character,  a dealer and a spinner of yarns,  you can't take it away from him, he had a knack of finding solid foundation to build on.

He produced some of the best terriers this country had seen at the time and he put some names on the map. However,  he was no keeper of records,  and he'd give a pedigree made up on the spot to me, you, and the next person. .....none two the same. 

Brian was meticulous,  he had a good memory and he had paperwork to back it up.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, dillydog said:

I've sat with Ken and Brian on many occasions,  they hated each other with a passion. 

Ken was a character,  a dealer and a spinner of yarns,  you can't take it away from him, he had a knack of finding solid foundation to build on.

He produced some of the best terriers this country had seen at the time and he put some names on the map. However,  he was no keeper of records,  and he'd give a pedigree made up on the spot to me, you, and the next person. .....none two the same. 

Brian was meticulous,  he had a good memory and he had paperwork to back it up.

I was lead to believe they got on fairly well for a while, I was told a tale that Ken was after some pups and Brian put him on to some saplings which had become to much for the owner , Ken bought them that day on his way to a show and sold them that day at  the show held at llangollen new peds double bred Smithy .. I wonder who bought the dog pup lol 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

I was lead to believe they got on fairly well for a while, I was told a tale that Ken was after some pups and Brian put him on to some saplings which had become to much for the owner , Ken bought them that day on his way to a show and sold them that day at  the show held at llangollen new peds double bred Smithy .. I wonder who bought the dog pup lol 

Surely not??But he did look like the typical Nuttall stamp, as did his offspring?

• Like 1

Joe hefferman told me smithy and rags where brought from a lad that didn’t know there breeding , Ken brought one and joe the other , Ken stayed at joes and after some whiskey Ken brought the other of joe  and took them both home 

• Like 1

I no longer post to this site, however I watch. I saw Smithy several times at work, he was a  very big lump of a dog. Not kept at a sporting weight as he was always kennelled,  tall as yr knees. I saw him on couples let up the block end and staked down. Yes he was hard, but never ever saw him dug to, and as we know, any can be brave above ground,   I saw him always the above. As were several other marvelous digging "STUD" dogs. That have now got fame. Yeah ! Great ten foot dig to a never mentioned whatever bitch  but these inflated gladiators were all that got mentioned. They were all at it, parading puppy selling Bull, that we are all aware of now, It was a very different era then, the black dog was an infant in the midlands and these chaps saw a business opportunity. RANT over and I shall fall away as before, as I made a mistake. Just thought it worth the truth cus I was there not here say. Sorry for those none believers but hey !  I can only speak on what I saw as a young fit digging machine that a one armed man needed. For all this I like the man, seen him do some damage to dog thieves with one arm 35+ yrs.back. When he was judging.

• Like 17
27 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

As we are already on the topic of who bred what...does anyone genuinely know who really  did breed the Parson Russell's Trump? I was always told that it was the milkman  but have my doubts.

Donny C ?

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

As we are already on the topic of who bred what...does anyone genuinely know who really  did breed the Parson Russell's Trump? I was always told that it was the milkman  but have my doubts.

He was bred in Cork ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
12 hours ago, eastcoast said:

are you serious... you want to know who bred a white bitch over a hundred years ago...why ?

• Haha 3