• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last days hunting with him, he was as good as they say with both terrier and spade..............his people skills needed work though ?

I no longer post to this site, however I watch. I saw Smithy several times at work, he was a  very big lump of a dog. Not kept at a sporting weight as he was always kennelled,  tall as yr knees. I saw

Late 90's granddaughter of smithy most of my stuff is down from her.

Posted Images

i preferred rags to smittie ,smittie was a big dog & what he could get to he killed ,rags if i remember was mute she was a total killer, long long time ago now i was in my 20s when i heard about them ,dont forget in them days not everyone wanted big hard killing dogs , i do remember ken getting them though , myself & toddy R spent a lot of time at kens ,

Why was he passed on so many times if he was such a good dog?? Not doubting his quality but could it not be possible that the dogs only a legend because of the people who owned him rather than his ability under the sod?

The lads from Essex sold him because he was rock hard and totally mute.They reckoned once he'd been to ground a while they would put a little yapper in to get up behind him then they'd dig to him and the gear which would always be dead.
  • Like 1

Why was he passed on so many times if he was such a good dog?? Not doubting his quality but could it not be possible that the dogs only a legend because of the people who owned him rather than his ability under the sod?

The lads from Essex sold him because he was rock hard and totally mute.They reckoned once he'd been to ground a while they would put a little yapper in to get up behind him then they'd dig to him and the gear which would always be dead.

So had to be 2 up to get a dig? Sounds an awesome dog

Is that what you took from that post you plank.
  • Like 11

Many chancer's tried to say they bred Smithy but it's common knowledge now who bred him and what way he was bred.

Either way one thing is for certain.

Smithy was used by some very good terrier men over their bitches and then after that the line was kept right.

And controversial or what one thing that's certain is that his blood is still very strong in a lot of good terrier mens kennels.

IMO there'll be terriers heavy on Smithy blood for a long time to come.

• Like 2

Many chancer's tried to say they bred Smithy but it's common knowledge now who bred him and what way he was bred.

Either way one thing is for certain.

Smithy was used by some very good terrier men over their bitches and then after that the line was kept right.

And controversial or what one thing that's certain is that his blood is still very strong in a lot of good terrier mens kennels.

IMO there'll be terriers heavy on Smithy blood for a long time to come.

read the last sentence 5 feet down and it might give you an indication of why people are interested in the history of a dog from years ago .
  • Like 4

no locators much then, and some hard earth's

Read your post again you say they had to put a yapper in so yes you had to use two dogs!
Pre lacator it was the diggers that needed the little yapper not Smithy so it doesn't reflect on the dog.How many of todays hardness would make the grade without locators.
  • Like 3

lol smittie will be talked about & argued over for years to come , the stig ,wherever hes gone knows probably more than most, i know lots of other great terriers about at the same time ,smaller ,probably better dogs too ,but smittie was a legend ,frank staceys dogs was just as hard ken mated smittie with some of franks bitches , its ok haveing a hard dog but a smaller dog gets to more quarry & trust me when they all have been smashed time in time out they all stand off & bay :thumbs:

• Like 2

Sounds like a dog before it's time, what I don't understand is why people used it over bitches when it was mute if as you say it was pre locator. Nowadays I can understand people wanting that dog but surely a Bayer mixer type would be better suited for back then. But I can fully understand the interest in this dog, it's name probably pops up several times in many pedigrees and probably in many pedigrees people don't know about.

• Like 1