Sparticus X Scratch

No problem mate, absolutely agree. Certain stuff off certain matings has been far more successful than others. The important thing is to go with the terriers you like regardless of who has them. Don't just buy it because of the breeder buy because you like the dog, its the dog you are buying.

• Like 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another Spartacus bred dog I had another great working dog

ABC if you put a picture up be prepared to be shot down in flames, in all honesty mate when you stuck it up I took one look and thought what a shit type ! I'm not looking for a fight, I'm not a k

Posted Images

Everybody has different expectations and requirements of their Terriers, for my personal requirements the stuff I owned and saw work from the 'Spartacus' specific blood, was not for me. Certain people around the time were happy, when he was put to certain females, the click worked for their expectations. Ken told me himself that his Russells would not suit me, so tried his black stuff and at the time 'Spartacus' was the dog of choice for his project. It was the Smithy blood I was hoping to tighten up on, but the females and males I had were left wanting............for me. Ovitt came to Devon and wasn't all that and lots of other Terriermen have brought their dogs down and their dogs have been 'disappointing'. It's down to percentages, some say they have a 100% successfully dug to Terriers and some say they have 100% of their Litters work out. I say "go tell it to the Marines". There are different terrains, depths, experienced quarry and types of place all over the Country. I see post after post about certain lines and certain dogs being the dogs danglies. Even with this post, some may say, "just because it is written down, doesn't mean it is so".

I personally like to mainly dig large gear and go where I can legally do it. Jagd Terriers are used and other more usual breeds we are used to over here also, a fair amount are left wanting there too. Some are mute, some are mixer/bayers, getting smashed up and some just right for a while. I have had 4 year old Terriers jib. If I can dig 30-40 a season with a second season Terrier, I am well happy and that's after 'lifting' dogs for certain reasons. I have rarely had a Terrier be no good for Fox, with some being better in some ways than others. I bet there are a very, very, very small handful of Terriers about which truly are 'The Dogs danglies'. Many, many Skeletons in many, many Closets which haven't been let out!!......lol.

Sorry Axle for going off Topic, but it sort of is on topic...........when you said about how certain crosses clicked. I hope you are well and 'No Surrender'.

A very good post

• Like 1

Everybody has different expectations and requirements of their Terriers, for my personal requirements the stuff I owned and saw work from the 'Spartacus' specific blood, was not for me. Certain people around the time were happy, when he was put to certain females, the click worked for their expectations. Ken told me himself that his Russells would not suit me, so tried his black stuff and at the time 'Spartacus' was the dog of choice for his project. It was the Smithy blood I was hoping to tighten up on, but the females and males I had were left wanting............for me. Ovitt came to Devon and wasn't all that and lots of other Terriermen have brought their dogs down and their dogs have been 'disappointing'. It's down to percentages, some say they have a 100% successfully dug to Terriers and some say they have 100% of their Litters work out. I say "go tell it to the Marines". There are different terrains, depths, experienced quarry and types of place all over the Country. I see post after post about certain lines and certain dogs being the dogs danglies. Even with this post, some may say, "just because it is written down, doesn't mean it is so".

I personally like to mainly dig large gear and go where I can legally do it. Jagd Terriers are used and other more usual breeds we are used to over here also, a fair amount are left wanting there too. Some are mute, some are mixer/bayers, getting smashed up and some just right for a while. I have had 4 year old Terriers jib. If I can dig 30-40 a season with a second season Terrier, I am well happy and that's after 'lifting' dogs for certain reasons. I have rarely had a Terrier be no good for Fox, with some being better in some ways than others. I bet there are a very, very, very small handful of Terriers about which truly are 'The Dogs danglies'. Many, many Skeletons in many, many Closets which haven't been let out!!......lol.

Sorry Axle for going off Topic, but it sort of is on topic...........when you said about how certain crosses clicked. I hope you are well and 'No Surrender'.

well said a very honest post

one of the best posts in the terrier section in a long while!

The moment a young boy is concerned with which is a Jay or which is a sparrow....he can no longer see the birds or hear them sing....

Edited by stop.end

Great post Shamo. Common sense and knowledge is few and far between in the terrier world.

was told last night that Scratch came from KG to SH back to KG, and was then offerd to another man, but she didn't suit him so she was sold to the states in pup to Spartacus. She had 2 pups, and was then sold to JMyers, and appears in the breeding of URu dog Crixus. The man also told me that Flint was %100 not sired by Spartacus

Do you know what happened to the pups she had before going to the states, I think Boris was born in the UK, what about any litter brothers or sisters ?

was told last night that Scratch came from KG to SH back to KG, and was then offerd to another man, but she didn't suit him so she was sold to the states in pup to Spartacus. She had 2 pups, and was then sold to JMyers, and appears in the breeding of URu dog Crixus. The man also told me that Flint was %100 not sired by Spartacus

Do you know what happened to the pups she had before going to the states, I think Boris was born in the UK, what about any litter brothers or sisters ?

this has to be at least 20 years ago, may be 25??

I worked Boris and he was a hard driven dog that used his nose well , was hard to fault except for his want to kill everything with fur on it....Boris had a brother and sister that were both usable.............Unfortunately Boris' did not throw a high percentage of workers. He was bred to several different working bitches and some of them were keepers, but many didn't make the grade.......There are a number of dogs that have been bred down from those original 3 , most of them spread around the states and blended with other lines.

Did his brother and sister go to the states ? I did hear he did not produce much but that is no big surprise as that breeding would need to go back to certain blood to produce the best results. Just realised the brother and sister to Boris you mentioned are from the litter born in the states but what about litter brothers and sisters to Boris born in the UK, who had those dogs ????

There seems to be a lot of rumors regarding Scratch as far as her short comings ...Obviously I cant speak to that , it seemed that dogs bred like her were either excellent workers or poor ones......Never knew what you would get...I do know that in the three litters that I saw , each had at least one black and tan pup, most were leggy broken coated and athletic types.

• 4 years later...
On 10/02/2015 at 18:10, kevin em said:
On 10/02/2015 at 12:09, Shamo said:

well said a very honest post

Good read shame! ...My uncle used to keep some Smithy blood said it was second  to none,what Smithy dogs were yours out of shamo if you don't mind me asking?.He told me that ovitt was all that also.Did you have anything out of sparticus?