Getting Permission

For years me and a friend who taught me alot about allsorts of country sports from fox shooting to setting snares terrier work ferreting used to nip through hedges here jump a fence there he taught me alot and although I rarely see him I still remember our nights guesting as we called it! Never forget the feeling when u see another lamp or head lights roaring across field at you. In my opinion if u know your safe crack on atb lads

• Like 1

I've got quite a while till next season, Golf courses is a good one cheers got two near me, just going to have to go out with the husband and go knocking doors, slap a bit of make up on haha.

On a good note going out this Sunday for the last time this season with our friend who's been teaching us and taking my ferrets to see what they are like!! feel quite excited to be taking my own ferrets out :D

• Like 4

For years me and a friend who taught me alot about allsorts of country sports from fox shooting to setting snares terrier work ferreting used to nip through hedges here jump a fence there he taught me alot and although I rarely see him I still remember our nights guesting as we called it! Never forget the feeling when u see another lamp or head lights roaring across field at you. In my opinion if u know your safe crack on atb lads

Lol

You will give our secret away ;)

I've got quite a while till next season, Golf courses is a good one cheers got two near me, just going to have to go out with the husband and go knocking doors, slap a bit of make up on haha.

On a good note going out this Sunday for the last time this season with our friend who's been teaching us and taking my ferrets to see what they are like!! feel quite excited to be taking my own ferrets out :D

You might have more luck leaving your husband at home ;) lol

Good luck

Gaz

• Like 3

Went knocking on alot of doors and showed them my dog. Although was told many paying for the permission.

Will be leaving the dogs at home, made that mistake earlier asking if I could come on land with my Lurcher, def no straight away, didn't click it was because a lot of farmers don't like dogs on their land, plus if your running dogs on the farmers land other people might think they can do it, strictly be asking ferrets and nets till I get on.

Went knocking on alot of doors and showed them my dog. Although was told many paying for the permission.

Will be leaving the dogs at home, made that mistake earlier asking if I could come on land with my Lurcher, def no straight away, didn't click it was because a lot of farmers don't like dogs on their land, plus if your running dogs on the farmers land other people might think they can do it, strictly be asking ferrets and nets till I get on.

She was in the car when i went and they asked to see her. I have permissions on a shoot and their ok with her as long as she is collared near the chicks and we done go there when they arrive. I always ask where they want me and dont on the land, so not to cause trouble with their neighbours etc

• Like 1

Getting permission is always a difficult thing when starting out on your own but keep knocking and keep asking. Take contact details with you (a business card is idea), dress smart, speak clearly and get straight to the point. If they say no don't hassle them but ask if you can leave a card with them with your contact details on. Farmers don't throw stuff like that away and even a matter of some months down the line you might get a call from the farmer asking you to come on. It does happen, trust me.

When it comes to insurance, don't think of it as just covering your arse, think of it as a deal breaker. If you can show a farmer (and believe me, as a professional wildlife manager I deal with loads) that you have insurance it shows that you actually care about his property and livelihood a little more than the average Joe who goes knocking... What you going to do if accidently you leave a gate off the latch and the farmer's best heifer gets out on t'road and killed? Can you afford to stump up the cash to replace the cow? What about the poor sod who killed it? What if you knock a wall down? Break a fence? Damage a piece of equipment/machinery? These might sound like silly analogies but shit happens and having insurance means that you have the ability to deal with it. Chances are, you'll never need it but that little bit of outlay could save you thousands should the case ever arise...

• Like 3
  • 3 years later...
On 03/02/2015 at 00:57, janine said:

How hard is it just to get your foot in the door!! being going out this season with my friend and totally love it, obviously can't keep going out on his permission so have being trying to find my own, wrote a lettter to every farmer around me, my friend laughed and said I need to go and speak to them, but don't want to be knocking on their door. I hate it when people knock my door trying to sell me something!!

Did get permission in some woods near by me, we went to check it out not any sign of rabbits a few very old warrens and lots of squirrels.

How did people get their permissions?

I totally agree with you - disturbing people isn't very nice

Never mention lurchers while asking for permission. Iv been told to fook off back to my camp site loads of times because of my choice of working dog. Iv never stayed on a campsite !. Get one permission then branch out, if you see somebody working on other neighbouring land go up and chat with them, they cant shut a door in yer face then. Its always paid off for me. Helps if you know a wee bit about farming too. I learned the types of cattle and sheep that are kept beside me, medications and diseases they get. 15 mins talking about livestock and dosing, then ask for permission. Usually dose the trick. Always be polite. Once you have the permission and get to know the land owner better try coax them into letting you on with the dog.