Its enough land but they will destroy it to mud in a week or three lol but they love to plough.i take mine to slaughter it's £20 and I get it back in two halvesthen butcher my self.you can transport yourself but through ur movement paperwork and tagged with your herd number u will need to contact defra to register ur land and get a cph holding number also animal health for a registration number also when you move u need to contact ur local movement office to confirm your pigs travels on the day as it has to coincide with u going to slaughter. Times etc as they do the same.its so simple look it up on defra website it's onle a few phone calls to sort it all out once u get the paperwork in order it's a one off job.apart from the moving process paperwork each time it's easy

Atb

• Like 1

The land is overgrown with wildgrass and brambles etc so the idea of getting the pigs was for them to turn it to mud for me, saves my back and at the end of it I get a chest freezer full of meat! I was looking at Tamworths as from what I have read they are the closest thing to a plough on legs. Did you do a butchery course or just get on with it and learn as you go?

Our first pigs are pretty much due to go. Luckily we have tame tree surgeons who are more than happy to drop the odd load of chippings off . In fact they are desperate to be rid of them a lot of the time.

The chippings are great for drying up the ground , which along with the outside of the round bales from the stable-yard, have helped stop the piggy-paddock from becoming a buffalo wallow.

post-13773-0-86250200-1424864383_thumb.jpg

post-13773-0-19042000-1424864420_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Our first pigs are pretty much due to go. Luckily we have tame tree surgeons who are more than happy to drop the odd load of chippings off . In fact they are desperate to be rid of them a lot of the time.

The chippings are great for drying up the ground , which along with the outside of the round bales from the stable-yard, have helped stop the piggy-paddock from becoming a buffalo wallow.

attachicon.gifIMGP7475red.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP7471red.jpg

Watch out for flies in the summer. the wet round bales hold water all year round and become a perfect breeding ground for all manner of flying sh#t. I made that mistake myself! I bought a load of old 3'x2' flags of the council etc and laid a hard standing 10 yards square for over wintering pigs. saves the paddocks for the rest of the year. Chuck your wood chippings on the flags and when done, spread on the paddocks.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMGP7475red.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP7471red.jpg

Watch out for flies in the summer. the wet round bales hold water all year round and become a perfect breeding ground for all manner of flying sh#t. I made that mistake myself! I bought a load of old 3'x2' flags of the council etc and laid a hard standing 10 yards square for over wintering pigs. saves the paddocks for the rest of the year. Chuck your wood chippings on the flags and when done, spread on the paddocks.

I can well imagine you are right. The really mucky outside of the bales go on the dung-heap . We only use the next layer -the stuff that looks ok but is apparently not up to "horse standard". It is spread pretty thinly too: otherwise the little b*ggers shovel it against the electric fence and short it out:)

• Like 1