Jagd Terriers,

I have worked with german hunt terriers in germany where they where first bred,the ones i worked with where first class under ground dogs,above they where not as good,a little hectic for my liking,and good luck to anyone looking to buy one for 300,pup or otherwise,as guys in uk and ireland are looking stupid money for pupd,650 ster or 800 euro,and knowing this,guys abroad are looking for a 1000euro plus.....madness!!!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I say they are a pain in the ass.

my pal just taken a chance and bought a 7mth old dog to run on, just something new but to be honest he/we know nothing about them and was wondering if anyone in Britain works them and how do you rate

I have some of the Von sonnern blood in my dogs. Fox dogs if I am correct. They don't inbreed them usually just best to best. There have been some steady digging dogs from them here in the states. Som

Posted Images

my pal just taken a chance and bought a 7mth old dog to run on, just something new but to be honest he/we know nothing about them and was wondering if anyone in Britain works them and how do you rate them as a digging dog over here, the dog will be given a chance to prove its self when its ready but would be nice to hear from others thats seen them work and what do they think of these dogs, heres afew pics of him,

You obviously have a computer Big Bill so why ask advice on this breed of terrier here rather than look up the massive amount of data that already exists ? I think we all know about the German Hunt Terrier. Product of the insane thinking in Germany in 1930's to claim everything that is strong and good as German and that the working terrier as an ancient Germanic type of dog rather than a relatively modern English type of dog. So they imported terriers white Fox terriers from England and with the use of an unlimited budget isolated the black and tan gene that the Fox Terrier still carried ( and still does ). white being the wrong colour for a hunting dog in Germany. Why they didn't just import Lakeland or Welsh Terriers has never been explained.

The German Hunt Terrier is no better or no worse any other type of terrier. Good breeding and strain is everything. The only difference I can see is that you will pay about £300 more a pup for the " New" breed. Coals to Newcastle ?

when my pal told me he was of to buy one of these dogs and the price :icon_eek: of it , i did have a quick look on the computer about them aswell as youtube and to be honest i wasnt inpressed at all on how some of the folk work/use them but was inpressed with this type of dog if used as a earth dog ?, ile keep my opinion to myself thou, all i was asking on here was to any lads that work them in the uk was how they rated them as a digging dog but also happy to see the pics of these dogs of the lads that have replyed to this topic that work them out of the uk :thumbs: , my pal bought the dog as he was desparate after loosing his only digging bitch and to be fair he has had his work cut out with how it is with it been 6/7mth old when he bought it but it is coming on for him, it will be given a good chance to prove it self and then my pal will make his mind up wethers its for him or not, rother, the only thing ive to struggle with pal is throwning the soil out of the hole if the dogs make it but im quite happy to see the dog go home with him rather then with me ? , atb :thumbs: ,

• Like 3

my pal just taken a chance and bought a 7mth old dog to run on, just something new but to be honest he/we know nothing about them and was wondering if anyone in Britain works them and how do you rate them as a digging dog over here, the dog will be given a chance to prove its self when its ready but would be nice to hear from others thats seen them work and what do they think of these dogs, heres afew pics of him,

You obviously have a computer Big Bill so why ask advice on this breed of terrier here rather than look up the massive amount of data that already exists ? I think we all know about the German Hunt Terrier. Product of the insane thinking in Germany in 1930's to claim everything that is strong and good as German and that the working terrier as an ancient Germanic type of dog rather than a relatively modern English type of dog. So they imported terriers white Fox terriers from England and with the use of an unlimited budget isolated the black and tan gene that the Fox Terrier still carried ( and still does ). white being the wrong colour for a hunting dog in Germany. Why they didn't just import Lakeland or Welsh Terriers has never been explained.

The German Hunt Terrier is no better or no worse any other type of terrier. Good breeding and strain is everything. The only difference I can see is that you will pay about £300 more a pup for the " New" breed. Coals to Newcastle ?

when my pal told me he was of to buy one of these dogs and the price :icon_eek: of it , i did have a quick look on the computer about them aswell as youtube and to be honest i wasnt inpressed at all on how some of the folk work/use them but was inpressed with this type of dog if used as a earth dog ?, ile keep my opinion to myself thou, all i was asking on here was to any lads that work them in the uk was how they rated them as a digging dog but also happy to see the pics of these dogs of the lads that have replyed to this topic that work them out of the uk :thumbs: , my pal bought the dog as he was desparate after loosing his only digging bitch and to be fair he has had his work cut out with how it is with it been 6/7mth old when he bought it but it is coming on for him, it will be given a good chance to prove it self and then my pal will make his mind up wethers its for him or not, rother, the only thing ive to struggle with pal is throwning the soil out of the hole if the dogs make it but im quite happy to see the dog go home with him rather then with me ? , atb :thumbs: ,

I wish you and your pal all the best B. Bill and hope that the pup comes good. At least he will have the opportunity to realise his potential which is a good thing. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whom you mean that "...all know about the German Hunting Terrier", but according to the official German Hunting Terrier Club the GHT mainly stem from Brittish terriers. However not mainly from white fox terriers that they "isolated the black and tan gene" from. Most important were three specific terriers: An "Old English (black and tan) terrier named "Forma Baltia" and two Welsh terriers; "Färber vom Schuttzenrain" and "Helfer Baltia". There is also some german breeds mixed in (to a minor extent) to get some specific properties.

And maybe they wanted to create a "German Terrier", but at the time many nations did the same in their pursuit to "build a nation". There is the Swedish national breed Hamilton Stövare (a harrier), the norvegian Norsk Älghund (a spitz for moose hunting), and the same probably was done in other countries too at the time.

I agree that the GHT probably is no better or no worse than (m)any other type(s) of terrier, when it comes to individuals. When it comes to ground work one must be more picky when choosing a GHT, since many strains are too big. And as Shamo said earlier; some get to grips a lot and possibly end up "in sick bay for 5 weeks after". But on the other hand if you do different kinds of hunting with only one dog, the GHT is by far a more versatile dog than most terriers (and other breeds).

The good thing is that there is a massive data base, going back a long way, wich makes it a bit easier to search for strains with suitable properties for what you're after. There are also positive sides with "Ordnung"... =)

Edited by rothor
  • Like 2

I'm not sure whom you mean that "...all know about the German Hunting Terrier", but according to the official German Hunting Terrier Club the GHT mainly stem from Brittish terriers. However not mainly from white fox terriers that they "isolated the black and tan gene" from. Most important were three specific terriers: An "Old English (black and tan) terrier named "Forma Baltia" and two Welsh terriers; "Färber vom Schuttzenrain" and "Helfer Baltia". There is also some german breeds mixed in (to a minor extent) to get some specific properties.

And maybe they wanted to create a "German Terrier", but at the time many nations did the same in their pursuit to "build a nation". There is the Swedish national breed Hamilton Stövare (a harrier), the norvegian Norsk Älghund (a spitz for moose hunting), and the same probably was done in other countries too at the time.

I agree that the GHT probably is no better or no worse than (m)any other type(s) of terrier, when it comes to individuals. When it comes to ground work one must be more picky when choosing a GHT, since many strains are too big. And as Shamo said earlier; some get to grips a lot and possibly end up "in sick bay for 5 weeks after". But on the other hand if you do different kinds of hunting with only one dog, the GHT is by far a more versatile dog than most terriers (and other breeds).

The good thing is that there is a massive data base, going back a long way, wich makes it a bit easier to search for strains with suitable properties for what you're after. There are also positive sides with "Ordnung"... =)

The origins of the Jagd should not be open to opinion or conjecture. A breed developed in the early part of the 20th century by men who regarded recording pedigree and breed purity of paramount importance. Yet we find errors and conflicting information regarding origin ? I stand corrected and admit my knowledge of the breed comes only from reading. A little knowledge being a dangerous this as they say. If a man really had the time and inclination to find out the truth he would be in far better position to define a GHT, than were he to try explain exactly what is a Jack Russell or a Patterdale ?

• Like 1

I have worked my JAGDs to ground and Patterdales as well.....I found that the best use for a Jagd is above ground use, as they have a keen nose and are very athletic, having excellent natural endurance , and can cover ground with good speed....Jagds also have a bit different personality, being more independent , some are dog fighters....They are a high energy hunter that use their voice.....You will have to decide if they are the right breed for you......What say you Jay?

• Like 5

They did Import Lakelands.took the breed in the wrong direction for them.Versatile was what was required not HARDNESS...bred it out late 50's I believe.

Some breed for field work... some for earth work. Some breed for both. Others breed solely for the tradition of testing, and some for competition. Jagds are no different than any other terrier in that they vary in type and ability. Typically a person will either love them or hate them.. and that seems to correspond with that person's need for this type of terrier.

• Like 3

If I wanted to aquire a Jagd terrier I would be very carefull about who I got one from.......Much like any working terriers , there are many imposters, and a limited number of genuine terrierman that work and breed Jagds.......Many people got the Jagds some years ago, and a lot of breedings were made and pups sold, sending them all over the country.....Many Jagds here in the States , may different sizes and shapes, some are true workers, many are not. Can count on one hand the terrierman I would deal with.....I suspect it is much the same on your side of the pond.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have worked my JAGDs to ground and Patterdales as well.....I found that the best use for a Jagd is above ground use, as they have a keen nose and are very athletic, having excellent natural endurance , and can cover ground with good speed....Jagds also have a bit different personality, being more independent , some are dog fighters....They are a high energy hunter that use their voice.....You will have to decide if they are the right breed for you......What say you Jay?

:yes:

• 2 months later...

not a poacher dog that is for sure... ;)
to much voice when they start to get crazy .

awesome for tracks or pursue the game, inside the quarry they are to dam crazy mofos.

kept them for the same time that i have blacks and they are now only one male and all the rest are blackies ;)

because for my taste BLACKS are TOP working dogs and easier to maintain as a house or kennel dog.

Edited by heshimus