Mole Trapping Experience

There is still lots people never discuss about moles and trapping.....either they don't know or they don't want to talk about it...... :victory:

I have never set a trap (rats apart) in my life. yet I am willing to bet I could set a passable mole trap. But no way could I set it and tell you that it will catch. Setting traps is easy it's the where and why is the important part. That is what is never spoken about. It takes years of real hard work and no little failures to work the important part out.

TC

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I said, if it you consider it 'great' then that is fine for you. I don't. To me it is regurgitation of the same old diatribe that almost every trapping book has been for the past 100 years. Based o

Don't hold your breath JD!   Peter Fullerton - I do have opinions, and if you spend time reading the same old drivel on here year after year then you would have too. None, and I think I am safe in s

There is still lots people never discuss about moles and trapping.....either they don't know or they don't want to talk about it......

Ok, can you explain why you find the Jeff Nicholls book to be sub-standard & give us some better alternatives please. I read it a few months ago, & thought that it was quite informative (as I knew nothing about moles at the time, other than the fact that I was overrun with the little beggars). I've caught 6 in the last 3 days in my small field, based entirely upon the information that I got from his book & the 2 books that I got from Fourteenacre. Everyone has to start their search for knowledge somewhere, & his book seemed as good a starting point as any, so why were we allegedly wrong in this supposition?

Jesus sorry I spoke! for someone starting out I think it covers a lot of valid points. I'll just read the threads in future.

Edited by Peter Fullerton

Ok, can you explain why you find the Jeff Nicholls book to be sub-standard & give us some better alternatives please. I read it a few months ago, & thought that it was quite informative (as I knew nothing about moles at the time, other than the fact that I was overrun with the little beggars). I've caught 6 in the last 3 days in my small field, based entirely upon the information that I got from his book & the 2 books that I got from Fourteenacre. Everyone has to start their search for knowledge somewhere, & his book seemed as good a starting point as any, so why were we allegedly wrong in this supposition?

Jesus sorry I spoke! for someone starting out I think it covers a lot of valid points. I'll just read the threads in future.

I think you will find that the post was meant for OTC and was not aimed at you. You will need a thicker skin to enjoy this forum. As with all walks of life you have some that think they are above others, this forum is no different, in fact it mirrors real communities and their characters really well I would say.

TC

• Like 1

Peter Fullerton: "for someone starting out I think it covers a lot of valid points"

- absolutely...! I couldn't agree more, & that was my exact point too. I thought that it covered loads of good stuff for an absolute beginner, as I was, when I read it.

What I was trying to do was to ask OTC why I was wrong in thinking that Jeff Nicholls appeared to know what he was talking about, because his book has helped me a very great deal to catch moles. I used to catch one or two a week, now I catch one to three per field each day, & I am chuffed to hell about it - & it's all because of what I have read in his book, & the books by Simon Bollons.

But, & this is where OTC comes in, if I am completely wrong in putting my trust in Jeff Nicholls, & it turns out that he (Jeff Nicholls) is speaking out of the back of his hat, then I want/need to know what's going on, 'cos I paid good money for that book of his. On top of that, if there is also a chance of my getting better & more accurate information from OTC, that will help me to catch even more moles, & become better & quicker at removing them all from my land, then bring it on. That's why I'm here, as it's chock full of people who know loads more than I do, & it's good to have as much support as you can when the learning curve is this steep - or could involve spending/wasting cash on the wrong kit/books/stuff.

I look forward to reading OTC's best selling book as he seems to have plenty of opinions. Like you say I found it a good read and it helped me from knowing nothing about moles to quite a good hand at clearing them up.

Stick around and you'll see it...... :thumbs:

I look forward to reading OTC's best selling book as he seems to have plenty of opinions. Like you say I found it a good read and it helped me from knowing nothing about moles to quite a good hand at clearing them up.

Don't hold your breath JD!

Peter Fullerton - I do have opinions, and if you spend time reading the same old drivel on here year after year then you would have too. None, and I think I am safe in saying this, of the pro trappers post anything on here about the subject any more. Why? Because any photo is removed, threads are ruined by the uneducated, and as a result nothing progresses. Those that know, keep it to themselves. They don't write books or post on forums like this. Get out and try things, learn from experience. My kids can catch moles, almost anyone can; it is not difficult. What does take time is to understand how to do it properly, and THAT is exactly what you don't get from the book. If I gave a handful of books to someone completely unsighted, and disinterested in trapping, and then asked them to produce their own then you would get the same product. The comment that started me off was that the book in question was 'great' - and that is what I challenged.

• Like 4

Peter Fullerton - I do have opinions, and if you spend time reading the same old drivel on here year after year then you would have too. None, and I think I am safe in saying this, of the pro trappers post anything on here about the subject any more. Why? Because any photo is removed, threads are ruined by the uneducated, and as a result nothing progresses. Those that know, keep it to themselves. They don't write books or post on forums like this. Get out and try things, learn from experience. My kids can catch moles, almost anyone can; it is not difficult. What does take time is to understand how to do it properly, and THAT is exactly what you don't get from the book. If I gave a handful of books to someone completely unsighted, and disinterested in trapping, and then asked them to produce their own then you would get the same product. The comment that started me off was that the book in question was 'great' - and that is what I challenged.

:yes: so true Ive always said this about those that know

HEAR HEAR! i trap full time now and like atleast 2 others on hear i rarely add my 2p worth or put a thread up ile offer to help a newbi out with tips but the best thing they can dois get out their and do it! information at your fingertips is great but unless its put into practice then its no use.....i was given 3 traps and a sketch of a group of mole hills at 8 years old...1 week later i had my first mole, now i can pick up 30 or more moles from 100 traps set on farm land!

as i side note.....ime looking forward to lees book!

I am not writing one ... not on trapping anyway, why would I? There are plenty of 'great' books already available to learn everything you need to know

ah ime sure i heard you were? never mind lol

HEAR HEAR! i trap full time now and like atleast 2 others on hear i rarely add my 2p worth or put a thread up ile offer to help a newbi out with tips but the best thing they can dois get out their and do it! information at your fingertips is great but unless its put into practice then its no use.....i was given 3 traps and a sketch of a group of mole hills at 8 years old...1 week later i had my first mole, now i can pick up 30 or more moles from 100 traps set on farm land!

It would be a pretty shit forum if no one contributed..

It would be a pretty shit forum if no one contributed..

To be honest, this forum isnt a patch on what it was seven or eight years ago.

Majority of the old members who built this site up with informative threads and posts have gone, or simply dont post much these days.

• Like 3

I like books and am an avid reader on all subjects.my first book was "the cat sat on the mat" and funnily enough it helped me learn to read and write.

Maybe my nursery teacher should have started me off something much more complex?

Keep reading folks it's good for the brain, anyone that thinks they don't need to learn is a fool.