How Long And What Time?

hi guys, just intrigued really

what times of the day do you normally decoy a field and how long are you there for....if nothing is around do you still set up and go for it (those with smaller permission), how long do you give it till you give up??

do you shoot all morning till afternoon or just decoy for an hour??

cheers

craig

Hi mate

I usually give it all day because most of my permission is a fair drive, but I keep in contact with farmers and have a look the week before for flight lines etc

This time of year is awkward because one shot and they are gone

I used to set up at first light but just through my experience its better to let them have a feed first thing then set up otherwise you spook the whole flock that's just come off the roost

That way they will drift back in smaller flocks

• Like 1

Hi mate

I usually give it all day because most of my permission is a fair drive, but I keep in contact with farmers and have a look the week before for flight lines etc

This time of year is awkward because one shot and they are gone

I used to set up at first light but just through my experience its better to let them have a feed first thing then set up otherwise you spook the whole flock that's just come off the roost

That way they will drift back in smaller flocks

Is that all year or just winter?

Just the way I do things in winter mate, also you do more damage to rape etc when it's frozen walking through it etc so better to wait a few hours after dawn

summertime I like to be out before first light especially if I'm after crow's on standing barley

Roost shoot the buggers mate. Get a nice spot near a sitty tree, and just wait, from 4pm onwards this time of year. Proper SAS shit going on, stealth, no need for face paint like, but if you find the right spot, your in. I have a perm with a bangin tree, brambles and undergrowth etc and now I know my ranges (by plinking at notches in the tree bark while I wait) nothing really gets away.

• Like 1

a hour or so is uasally enough if nothing has started to come back then i dont think it will. different areas can have different feeding times, i think alot is down to time of year and avalibility of food for them.

a couple of summers ago me and a mate managed to get many a full days pigeon shooting from 2 different areas only 10 miles apart. the one area was good from 9 in the morning until about dinner time then they just seemed to go and not come back. we would then go to the other area about 3 ish and then shoot to 7 oclock at night or later depending on the day. this spot had feck all on it in the mornings they just traveled in in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Heres a note, normally we take my gun dog, Daisy (Springer spaniel) and she picks up as its quieter and she's way more sly than me (or the others) trodging through the crispy leaves and wooden branches to pick up, because its more quieter i can see (from comparison) its so much more tactical to do so as we can get way more on the head count.

Just wanted to ask...

What would be a good way of "luring" pigeons over, we're using a nitesite and superlite air arms S410 with accurate scope but after 4/5 shots we have to wait a good few hours before we can become active again! Feels like a waste on money and time so we would love to know any tricks please?

If anyone has any advice or help just reply please:)

- How To Hunting Team.

Hey guys.

Heres a note, normally we take my gun dog, Daisy (Springer spaniel) and she picks up as its quieter and she's way more sly than me (or the others) trodging through the crispy leaves and wooden branches to pick up, because its more quieter i can see (from comparison) its so much more tactical to do so as we can get way more on the head count.

Just wanted to ask...

What would be a good way of "luring" pigeons over, we're using a nitesite and superlite air arms S410 with accurate scope but after 4/5 shots we have to wait a good few hours before we can become active again! Feels like a waste on money and time so we would love to know any tricks please?

- How To Hunting Team.

Out of interest. What are you using the nitesite for? Woodys or ferrals?

Hey guys.

Just wanted to ask...

- How To Hunting Team.

If there's enough of the how to team out you can try this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Just wanted to ask...

- How To Hunting Team.

Out of interest. What are you using the nitesite for? Woodys or ferrals?

The team use it for ferrels, i use it rarely because i get only so many days off XD but when i do its Ferrels, dont normally do woodys... too hard for me XD