Can A Doggy Man Make A Dog.

some good posts i believe breeding and blood stock , a major yay but in some cases not allways . one cana influence natural ability and the desired traits bred in some stock .THE handler then becomes the influence to bring these qualitys to the for with work given in doses at the right times ,and progress at right pace without ruining the the hoiund souring early doors hisseen all to often atb bunnys

• Like 1

GOOD DOGS ARE BORN GOOD DOGS SAME AS SHIT DOGS WILL ALWAYS BE SHIT.

YOU CAN ALWAYS TEACH A BAD DOG SUMMIT N MAKE IT A BETTER SHIT DOG.

GOODOGS HAVE THAT WOW FACTOR AND GOOD DOG MEN KNOW IN AN INSTANT.

ALL THEY CAN DO IS KEEP IT IN CHEQUE AND UNDER CONTROL.

GOOD DOGS TAKE TOO HUNTING / COURSING/BUSHING AS IF ITS LIKE BREATHING.

SHIT DOGS TAKE SKOOLING/SKOOLING N THEN EVEN MORE SKOOLING.

THEN YOU START QUESTIONING IS IT THIS FECKER OR ME.

EVERY DOGGY MAN IN THE WORLD IS LOOKING FOR THAT SPECIAL MIRICLE DOG THAT USUALLY ONLY COMES ALONG 1OR 2 TIMES IN A LIFETIME.

MEANWHILE WEE PLOD ALONG (SEARCHING) FOR IT WAE OUR MEDIOCRE HALF DECENT ONES.

A good dog man can make a average dog look amazing just like a poor dog man can make an amazing dog look average I used to know a good oll boy named Sam who could train any animal just had an efinaty with them you can't tell me every dog he acquired was of best worker to worker breeding infact I know they wasn't but every one excelled at its job

Edited by leethedog

breed of tried and tested stock , when i started breeding i went for dogs that one cups for coursing or competitions for hunting , then tweeked them to suit my stile of hunting ,

i think you have to have a degree of intelegence and plenty game to get the best out of a dog , for all round hunting coursing ,but i think if you breed of champions that are bred right your half way there ,

the rest is feeding entering and good dog man ship , but you have to put the game in front of your dog to make him good , and give him the sucsess ,

its an art ,

• Like 4

Good dogs are born and a good dogman will make it better, you may be able to make a poor dog a bit better with obedience and plenty of roadwork,diet,etc but it will never be a world beater, all the better dogs I've had have all had it from a young pup, canines are like humans, we are all born with a body potential and thats why we are all different in our ability both physically and mentally,we've all had mates that could eat sh*te,hardly ever train and yet he would beat everyone in a race,good at any sport,drink,etc,without it affecting his performance on the field, if that same man was to eat,train and look after himself he would become a champion athlete at his chosen sport.An average man can make his performance better by training,diet and sleep but the only way to exceed his own body potential is to use steroids or performance enhancing drugs but these come at a price as your skeleton and where your tendons attach will be put under unnatural pressure causing pain and serious damage with prolonged use,the unseen organ damage by using these drugs will shorten the life of a large percentage of the people using them,the cemeteries around me are filled with the bodies of lads looking to take a quick cheat to success, dogs are no different in that the particular cross you use on the initial breeding will carry their own genetics into that cross and that will give the pups their own body potential,you cannot beat good breeding and no matter how good a person is at training a dog you need good mental and physical ability to get a good dog, WM

nice write up mate you know your stuff i agree with most of this post well done

computers can make average dogs look like champions and a frosty morning on a good hares back can make a top dog look below average.Some change their dogs like dates on a calendar which lets the dogs down but speaks volumes of the lad on the slip. You pick your pup and put the best of grub and plenty of time into it then see what comes at the seasons end, Lads who go out pay big money for ready made animals only prove how big the bank balance is not how good stockmen they are,

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 6

computers can make average dogs look like champions and a frosty morning on a good hares back can make a top dog look below average.Some change their dogs like dates on a calendar which lets the dogs down but speaks volumes of the lad on the slip. You pick your pup and put the best of grub and plenty of time into it then see what comes at the seasons end, Lads who go out pay big money for ready made animals only prove how big the bank balance is not how good stockmen they are,

think thats it in a nutshell...see lads on here every season listening to computer dogs lol

• Like 1

Yes definitely think they've either got it or they ain't, but the handler does play key part in bringing out there full potential. Big name parents etc doesn't mean nothing, if it did every pup these dogs produced would all be big names also.... Worker x worker and plenty of time and effort and a it of luck on your side .

• Like 1

There are no hard or fast rule`s in the dog game & that make`s it as interesting as it is. However i feel that what make`s a good dog man is a MAN WHO GET`S THE BEST FROM HIS DOG OR DOG`S. Ive seen dogs with ability that simply didnt have the desire & that`s the hardest to take as when a dog goes out of sight i dont want to think "came back a bit quick there???"Ive also seen dog`s that were genuine 100% trier`s but lacked that ability to be genuine class. Any of us can only give our dog`s a decent rearing & entering. Myself i think success & fur in the mouth make`s a dog then it may go on in time to be a bit special. What`s vital is reciprocity, you must like the dog & it must like you or the journey will be so much harder. What god left out you really cant put in but many seem hell bent on taking out what god put in. Every day is a school day in the dog game nobody has all the answer`s but if you meet these men who constantly rear failure`s & chop & change dog`s then ask yourself why that is?? Sometime`s we all have to look in the mirror at how we are handling our dog`s,i know i certainly have & still do. Time bring`s age if not wisdom with many im afraid :thumbs:

Edited by optimus
  • Like 10

I find it interesting to compare my two Airedale lurchers, sisters. One is so driven that she pushes herself all the time; the other is steady and sensible: both hunt well, but the black one stands out a mile in her intensity. Both had exactly the same upbringing of course. They've both done more bushing than anything else, but the black one is the one that gets what she goes after, purely because she has all the aces, genetically speaking. Born that way: happy combination of the best traits from both parents, and ancestors.

Can anyone say, hand on heart, that they can always pick the pup with the most potential from a litter?

I find it interesting to compare my two Airedale lurchers, sisters. One is so driven that she pushes herself all the time; the other is steady and sensible: both hunt well, but the black one stands out a mile in her intensity. Both had exactly the same upbringing of course. They've both done more bushing than anything else, but the black one is the one that gets what she goes after, purely because she has all the aces, genetically speaking. Born that way: happy combination of the best traits from both parents, and ancestors.

Can anyone say, hand on heart, that they can always pick the pup with the most potential from a litter?

probobly luck of the draw looking at a litter.last litter i had i kept 1 back and as soon as the last of his litter matesleft the yard he goes and breaks his leg . :cray:

Good dogs are born and a good dogman will make it better, you may be able to make a poor dog a bit better with obedience and plenty of roadwork,diet,etc but it will never be a world beater, all the better dogs I've had have all had it from a young pup, canines are like humans, we are all born with a body potential and thats why we are all different in our ability both physically and mentally,we've all had mates that could eat sh*te,hardly ever train and yet he would beat everyone in a race,good at any sport,drink,etc,without it affecting his performance on the field, if that same man was to eat,train and look after himself he would become a champion athlete at his chosen sport.An average man can make his performance better by training,diet and sleep but the only way to exceed his own body potential is to use steroids or performance enhancing drugs but these come at a price as your skeleton and where your tendons attach will be put under unnatural pressure causing pain and serious damage with prolonged use,the unseen organ damage by using these drugs will shorten the life of a large percentage of the people using them,the cemeteries around me are filled with the bodies of lads looking to take a quick cheat to success, dogs are no different in that the particular cross you use on the initial breeding will carry their own genetics into that cross and that will give the pups their own body potential,you cannot beat good breeding and no matter how good a person is at training a dog you need good mental and physical ability to get a good dog, WM

That one best post read in such long time.

Im the type that looses sleep if a dog dosnt perform how i expect,loose even more if its my fault.

Wasted lots of time on dogs that were never going to suit me,until finally run out of excuses.

If i could train a dog to do things that isn't in its natural running style,I Would give up the rabbiting and start training greyhounds would make a fortune training slow greyhounds to run fast. :toast: