To The Preban Fox Lads

Ever had experience with dogs chasing bunny's but pulling up on fox? Ie chasing it but then pulling up and coming back to you? On its first fox I was ment to say. Just a discussion I was having with a friend.

A lot of lurchers dont take naturally to attacking Foxes. When it was legal it was best to let a youngster see an experienced dog tackling a fox and letting the youngster join in the worry once the older dog had quickly despatched it. Bull x Greyhounds or pure Greyhounds or Whippet x terriers were best..

• Like 1

yeah collie crosses

yeh lol, norm if the dog come of the fox, it must have got close enough to know what it is, not saying it grabbed the fox and been nipped which norm the case. :yes: All dogs know what they are from the smell of them, it may have got close to it and old Charlie warned it off , with out you really seeing what happened . how old the dog? and what x is it , with foxes and getting bitten because that's will happen sooner or later , it really comes down to each dog , some want it and some don't. ive known little 25lb whippets pile into foxes and getting nipped by them didn't bother them, then you get big dogs 50-80lb dont like the sharp end , some times its just the luck of the draw mate :yes: but I reckon most lurchers that got drop of good pit in the mix you might get away with it, but not so much with these thinking clever types :laugh: , but I did have a colliex that would nail foxes no prob in the 80s , so there you go .!!

• Like 2

haha yh the first ever single slip on a fox my collie grey bitch had after learning the trade on rabbits and hares, she gained on it and was in striking distance within seconds but just coursed it all over the field and kept letting it turn and eventually fox couldnt run no more and dog didnt fancy a fight and trotted back to me, safe to say i wasnt impressed, she was always funny as a pup used to play with rabbits aswell knocking em about [BANNED TEXT] mouth shut and just letting them run thereselves out never losing them just enjoying the chase putting them down and letting em run around again and that, grown out of all that now though but all good fun anyway

If its a young dog it might just be unsure that animal is on the cards. Espwcially after the last 12 months say you been saying things like sheep and such are off cards. This can happen im some dogs that have half a brain and consider what there owner might do if thry nail it without permission. Its no big worry. First 5-10 foxes are all a learning curve. Take out with experienced dog let him know its a quarry your after and jobs a good un then if he dont wanna get involved more can be said but on first fox i wpuldnt panic in slightlest just my view.

• Like 2

Alot of people give up to soon saying good rabbit and long ears dog but won't go to red. Next thing the dogs are smashing them. Different owner and routine. Working with different dogs. To many people expect them to do them right away and don't give them a chance and the poor dog get past pillar to post

• Like 2