Going Back To .22

I'm a .177 man with my faithful 200 .177, problem I find is I shoot a lot of pheasants and with headshots I get a hell of a lot of flyers, in that sense I mean pheasants flying not realising they have been shot and then falling out the sky...which is bad if your on a short boundry,

this is the reason why I have now opted at looking at getting the power tuned up, and going with the heavier exact pellets, but with the trajectory of the .177 (I hold my fac with my s200 before you start worrying)

I have used both calibers, and they are both devastating, I don't think its down to which is better,

its down to how arsed people can be with going out and learning the distances and the hold over, at the end of the day a .22 is in no way worse or better than a .177 its the trajectory which people like.

It's easier to place your shot in the correct place with the .177 and I personally think if you can go out and learn your aim points with the .22 then you are a better shooter than someone using .177

stopping power vs trajectory is something that will be going on for years.

higher powers .22 tops it off but unfortunately I cant change.

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like we are winding back to the (endless) .22 versus .177 debate but, there are good reasons to add to the debates.   With me, it's been a case of .22 then gone to .177 and back to .22 . Both

It is a good topic mate I agree, I too grew up in the .22 is king era, and have had my fair share some good, some very good, (bsf b55 Bavaria) some not so good, but then reading Airgun world, and bein

Oooooooowwwwwwaaaaa. The 177 lovers are gonna bend you over now Simon

May we ask why you are considering the move?

My reason is this.

With .177 i limit my daytime hunting to 35/40 yards and lamping I limit it to 25/30 yards.

I feel no need for the .177 for these distances has im convinced that the .22 will do the job

Have you just answered your own question... :)

Not that it was a question.

I started with .22 then with .177 after a few years break and then back to .22 and to be honest there is not that much to swapping calibres if you have a range finder or are good with judging distance.

From experience, I totally agree with Simon (Pianoman) and now tend to stick to.22.

• Like 1

I started with .22 then with .177 after a few years break and then back to .22 and to be honest there is not that much to swapping calibres if you have a range finder or are good with judging distance.

From experience, I totally agree with Simon (Pianoman) and now tend to stick to.22.

I have actually just purchased a rangefinder so this will come in useful.

At what distance do you zero for .22

I zero out to 30 yards with my 22 and 177 but use the mill dots after that for longer distance

but as has been say,d before both are as good as each other

just learn how to use the mill dots

as shooting out to 25 yards to 60 both cals are just as capable as the other

wether its 22 or 177

iv just gone to 177 mind and iv took pray out at some good distance and on the LAMP to boot

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hi when i shot FT comps i used .177, but since i stopped shooting in comps i started shooting .22 and really enjoy shooting this calibre. But the best part about it i can now enter the 22 class in HFT. Excellent post mate

smk

I all ways use .177 at night for the past 4 years ,but using a 10.3 gr pellet , I tend to use my .22 in day time at the moment using Falcon Accuracy plus 13.4gr ,just seems every thing I hit it goes down with out hardly any movement

My 22's are set at 30 yards. But to be honest, 32 would be better for the curve.

i go from .177 to .22 weekly but not surprising the amount of guns that pass through my hands lol

but saying that carnt help feeling im always trying to replace the .20 i sold years ago!!! or am i??? sure another 20 years of trying them out il decide

did start at the age of 9 with a bsa .22 but then a .177 saying id never go back then .22 then........

need i go on arrrggghhh brain freeze i carnt decide

I zero at 27yds which, along with mildots works pretty well for me!

• Like 1

i started with .22,went on to purchase .177 for HFT :laugh:

i currently own .177 & .22

for me its about shot placement,your quarry is not going to be bothered which calibre you are using :laugh:

as long as its in the right place :thumbs:

• Like 1

i started with .22,went on to purchase .177 for HFT :laugh:

i currently own .177 & .22

for me its about shot placement,your quarry is not going to be bothered which calibre you are using :laugh:

as long as its in the right place :thumbs:

I agree it is about shot placement but out to 40 yards max I don't think there is any need for .177 in my opinion