Sign in to follow this  
the big chief

Two New Ones

What do you heat them with? Are your antler handles connected with metal rod or are you cutting a dowel on to the end of your shank?

Sorry buddy thought you were cuttings and straightening your own, is it all hazel shanks that you use

Here a simple way to straighten sticks, you can use a hot air gun, but that can burn the wood if your not careful.

Place a roasting pan on a heat source and fill with hot water. I then place a rack on top of the pan and place the sticks to be steamed on top of the rack and cover with a tea towel to keep the steam in.

steamingsticks001_zpse4698cea.jpg

steamingsticks002_zpsf58df729.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

My prefered way is to give them a little steam, as you say they can be easily burnt by the hot air gun, just finished straightening a few nice pieces of blackthorn, should keep me busy

Just received my stick from gaffer WELL chuffed with it .It's the crook antler around 5 feet in hight perfect for me it's truly a work of art country fairs only for this one I think

• Like 1

Mine come yesterday its a real good work of art absolute c**t to get in to though haha cheers again mate I will put some pics up tomorrow

• Like 1