Took Matt101 Out Last Night........(Pics Now Added)

I have put this on here because I don't use any other part of the forum any more,well I had a lad drop me round some Rabbits a week or so ago,and we got chatting and I said he ought to come out for a shine round locally especially as I just haven't had the time lately.A time and date was made and right on the dot Matt tapped the door,but I had a stalker round dropping off a couple of Roe,and he was telling me about a car going round locally poaching,they are stopping in a gateway and if there is a Deer there then shooting the Deer,cutting the gate off and driving across whatever there is in the field to pick up the carcass and then away to the next gateway........Grrrrr!

Anyway I digress,Matt and myself were off across the other side of my valley to look for a Fox or two as the farmer is going to be Lambing from April 1st and I wanted to get a bit of a jump on them.We pulled into a field and parked up,Matt would be using my Sako Finlight .243cal topped off with a Zeiss 6-24x56 and I would be lamping for him,I was very confident of bringing a few into the lamp,but in the first field all I managed was a couple of Muntjac that were a bit inquisitive,so we popped into the the field that looks out over 90% of the whole farm,and after a few squeeks a pair of eyes flashed back at us from the very far side of the valley,but he just wasn't going to be stopping at all,he made like a greyhound straight out over the top hedgeline.After what seemed no time at all the bloody battery went!!!! It was as far as I was concerned fully charged,and on further examination it appears to be knackered(well I have had it since the very first ones came out)Luckily I had the .22 in the truck with one of those red LED lights on top and we would go on to another venue where I thought that it would fit in a bit better with smaller fields etc.

We climbed a couple of gates and as we set off down the Farmhouse track out of the hedge on the left popped Mr. Charlie,I told Matt to get ready on the quadsticks which he did and I squeeked quietly and Charles turned to the lamp,but as I whispered that it was a safe shot and I heard the safety go off Charles hit the bricks and was offski.........so,I used a couple of my well rehearsed stopper noises one of which stopped him dead and as he blinked his last the Finlight spoke and he dropped on the spot.What we had thought looked a small Vixen turned out to be a decent size Dog Fox.............We then went on alng the track which I have shot an awful lot of Foxes on in the past,well we got right to the end of the track before we had anymore action and it was Charles popping his head out into the big field and trotting off to the right,Matt was already on the sticks and as I stopped Charles in his tracks the rifle spoke out and Charles flipped sideways and over his shoulder,but what looked like a sound shot he had other ideas and he sped off across the field in a wide arc and back through the hedge he had come out of although I couldn't find exactly where he might of got through as it was good quality pig wire,but as we all know they are one of lifes survivors.Well you can wait for a bus for ages and then two come at once and that is exactly what happened here,out of the very same gap in the hedge came another Fox but this one justr wasn't for stopping and none of my tried and tested stoppers would work,so we headed back to the truck shining as we went,and at a gateway half way back there were a couple of Bunnies out having their supper,I dropped one with the .22 then as the other was too far for that I took hold of the .243 and neck shot the other.........yes I know the price of .243 cartridges but I also know what I can get for Rabbits at market so no stupid comments please.

I have been trying to get onto Photobucket and it seems to be down at the moment so will put pics up later.Thanks for a good night out with good company Matt.

Martin

Edited by martin

Nice accurate write up there martin! Thanks again for the night out, it was very kind of you to take me out and show me how its done properly. It was great fun and i was very pleased that the first charlie decided to stop to your howl/bark thing lol. He definitely wasnt going anywhere quick, shot through the left side and exited out the neck.

It was a shame about the second one, im not sure what happened but it sounded like a good solid connection to me and looked like the shot was good through the scope (fantastic scope by the way). Hopefully he expired out of sight, i hate wounding!

The shots on the rabbits were good, especially the .243 neck shot! Cant get more humane than that really and no meat damage.

Like i said if i can return the favour and hold the lamp for you anytime id be very happy to do so, no better way to learn than from someone whos got the experience.

All the best

Matt