Pup Burying Food .....

My current pup lotty is obsessed with burying or hiding her food ... No matter what quantity of food you give her she will eat half and bury or hide half ... I've had dogs do this sometimes in the past especially bitches with pups but never a pup and never with every single meal ... Even if I lock her in her run to feed her and don't allow her back into her bed she will place the food in the corner of the run and go through the motions of pushing earth over it with her nose .......

We just stopped a bite to eat whilst on a job and here she is burying half the small meal I just gave her .......

imagejpg1-88.jpg

Interesting little pup then isn't she: probably throwing back to some feral attitude to save something for later? One of the very best lurcher bitches I ever had did similar things as a pup, but only until her litter mates went to their new homes. Then she stopped. It was funny to see her hiding bits of bones between bits of old fencing lying in the garden, and if she thought that one of her litter mates was watching she'd move it somewhere else. She went on to be a natural and committed retriever of everything she caught, and never once tried to bury or hide her catches, unlike some of the Saluki bred b*stards I've owned :laugh:

• Like 4

Maybe she doesn't like your cooking....

Would feeding a soft/liquid food get her out of the habit? Could it be the presence of other dogs? I guess it's just a phase, probably just instinctive and she currently doesn't require much food, I'd probably drop a meal. How old is she now socks? To add I'm only guessing, i've no idea. lol.

No other dogs around when she is eating mate ... She does it even with liquified food except it all falls about of her mouth and leaves a trail where she has been lol ... I can't drop a meal she is sixteen weeks and only twice a day as it is ... It's just a strong natural instinct ... I think when she starts getting fed with the other dogs she will stop doing it ... If she doesn't she will soon get hungry lol ........

Interesting little pup then isn't she: probably throwing back to some feral attitude to save something for later? One of the very best lurcher bitches I ever had did similar things as a pup, but only until her litter mates went to their new homes. Then she stopped. It was funny to see her hiding bits of bones between bits of old fencing lying in the garden, and if she thought that one of her litter mates was watching she'd move it somewhere else. She went on to be a natural and committed retriever of everything she caught, and never once tried to bury or hide her catches, unlike some of the Saluki bred b*stards I've owned :laugh:

Definitely an instinct thing ... She is a funny little thing with a few quirks lol ... However she is very loyal and focused on me for a pup of such a young age ... When we are out and about if we bump into other people dog etc she will do the usual puppy thing of running up to them for a fuss and stroke but she always keeps one eye on me and when I have gone on about ten meters max bang without a word or whistle from me she back by my side .......

Had the same thing with this one we are raising up now, hes 10months now and doing it a lot less. But he used to do it all the time with every bit of food he had, used to bring him in the kitchen and throw him a scrap and he would place it in a corner and push invisible dirt over it with his nose....quite funny to watch.....and when he got let out of his pen he would run up the garden and uncover something he had buried previously and be chewing away.

Do you think it's got anything to do with being bottom of the ladder in the litter, and always having to put up with the teat that produces the least amount of milk

leaving the pup some times not fully full.

Once rescued a terrier, starved and full of mange, and it took month for him to realise he didn't need to bury/hide food, just never had his belly full on a daily basis before

socks................. have you ever seen her dig it back up again?

Yes mate when she was smaller and could fit into little places the other dogs couldn't she would hide food there and if I left it she would eat it a few days later .......

My dog is murder with bones, any you give, he buries immediately,then spends all day burying, moving the bone, and re burying. never seen him chew one, then the next day he will dig it up, and try and bring it into the house with an inch of earth stuck to it, don't bother with bones now.

not good keeps their teeth right.