Best Lamping Dog

If i were looking for a dog just for lamping bunnys i,d go for a 3/4 Whippet or Grew, 1/4 collie, i,d want something that finished up between 20 & 22" but i,d rather have a pup off 2 dogs that are doing the job well, not injury prone and i,d seen working, that way it wouldnt rearly bother me about what was in the mix, proven parents is the way to go.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye True. They will all pick up point and slip.   But sometimes we need that bit more? Thinking outside the box. Come at the rabbit from an angle, keep them off the hedge etc. Only so much can be l

yeh but you can get caught up in the intelligence thing, I have in the past with choosing lurchers. all lurchers don't matter what they x with , will learn lamping if took out enough its practic

My blue bitch is handy lamping bitch on rabbits when out she doesn't miss a lot thank god because around here we got take our chances !! She's colliebullgrey x deergreyxcolliegrey she was a early star

I've got a 5/8 3/8 collie grey, large lad at 28tts he is not the most agile of hounds, on a big field where he can run them down, he scopes them up. I also have a 19tts 3/4 whippet 1\4 bedy she is a cracking little thing on the lamp once she's on there arse poor old bunnies off to meet the black rabbit

Iv got Wheaton xbull whip grey and mist both great rabbiters day and night must say mist is a great catcher and a good head on her can't complain about the 2 of them , great dogs doing a grand job ?

All running dogs need intelligence.. they build up knowledge with experience and thats how they get better. I think a lot of people only see intelligence when a dog does tricks for them,but cleverness is more than that in a dog

yeh but you can get caught up in the intelligence thing, I have in the past with choosing lurchers. all lurchers don't matter what they x with , will learn lamping if took out enough :yes: its practice practice :yes:

Aye True. They will all pick up point and slip.

But sometimes we need that bit more? Thinking outside the box. Come at the rabbit from an angle, keep them off the hedge etc. Only so much can be learnt. There needs to be a bit of hunting brain in there to start with. And I assure you they haven't all got it.

That's the sort of thing I love watching on the lamp.

Yes a any dog will chase a running rabbit, but can you send them on in the dark flick the light on once they're going, coming out of the beam and onto a sitter from an angle, slowing up to pick up squatters. Then Watching them box a rabbit off the hedge and running clever. nice watching a dog working it all out, most of em will with practice in matter the type from what I've seen.

• Like 1

Best dog on lamp I ever seen was a thorn dog rough coated don't know the breeding he was just a lurcher to lurcher called gin I was only young at the time one of them loyal dogs wouldn't leave my side unless told to could catch bunnys out of the beam just got better with age he did one day I come home from school an my step dad had sold this dog gutted is a understatement never forgive the c**t for that