Best Lamping Dog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye True. They will all pick up point and slip.   But sometimes we need that bit more? Thinking outside the box. Come at the rabbit from an angle, keep them off the hedge etc. Only so much can be l

yeh but you can get caught up in the intelligence thing, I have in the past with choosing lurchers. all lurchers don't matter what they x with , will learn lamping if took out enough its practic

My blue bitch is handy lamping bitch on rabbits when out she doesn't miss a lot thank god because around here we got take our chances !! She's colliebullgrey x deergreyxcolliegrey she was a early star

try go for a pup from proven workers , suppose the x don't really matter as long as they good at there job, something 23-26in with good coat+feet -fast+agile with very good stamina that's what a good lamp dog should be, and it hasn't got to be the brain of Britian either to pick a rabbit up in beam .! !

• Like 1

All running dogs need intelligence.. they build up knowledge with experience and thats how they get better. I think a lot of people only see intelligence when a dog does tricks for them,but cleverness is more than that in a dog.

• Like 2

All running dogs need intelligence.. they build up knowledge with experience and thats how they get better. I think a lot of people only see intelligence when a dog does tricks for them,but cleverness is more than that in a dog

yeh but you can get caught up in the intelligence thing, I have in the past with choosing lurchers. all lurchers don't matter what they x with , will learn lamping if took out enough :yes: its practice practice :yes:

• Like 3

All running dogs need intelligence.. they build up knowledge with experience and thats how they get better. I think a lot of people only see intelligence when a dog does tricks for them,but cleverness is more than that in a dog

yeh but you can get caught up in the intelligence thing, I have in the past with choosing lurchers. all lurchers don't matter what they x with , will learn lamping if took out enough :yes: its practice practice :yes:

Aye True. They will all pick up point and slip.

But sometimes we need that bit more? Thinking outside the box. Come at the rabbit from an angle, keep them off the hedge etc. Only so much can be learnt. There needs to be a bit of hunting brain in there to start with. And I assure you they haven't all got it.

• Like 3

Iv a collie whippet hound and its good at getting them off ditches and doesn't over run on the turns good coat feet stamina brain.cuts the rabbits off aswell.one run could be over and lamp off the. When u put it back on it could be coursing another rabbit without the light

Edited by kevin kiely

My blue bitch is handy lamping bitch on rabbits when out she doesn't miss a lot thank god because around here we got take our chances !! She's colliebullgrey x deergreyxcolliegrey she was a early starter really switched on from a young age !! good day bitch aswell but not a spot of hunting up and with that breeding and her parents being 25tts and 27tts she would be bigger but at 24 she quick and can turn very well !!

20140319_165859.jpg

47055A67-5F38-42D6-B0B1-4FA54C1E6B7C-849

• Like 3

Best bet would be try and get out with lads doing a bit and watch them and there dogs,At least then you will get a picture of what you want dont want. Even better if there local and running same type of land as you.

Personally would advice a beginner to avoid to much brain,You will make mistakes and a dog that thinks to much will soon start to second guess you.Then it can get complicated fast...

• Like 2

Best bet would be try and get out with lads doing a bit and watch them and there dogs,At least then you will get a picture of what you want dont want. Even better if there local and running same type of land as you.

Personally would advice a beginner to avoid to much brain,You will make mistakes and a dog that thinks to much will soon start to second guess you.Then it can get complicated fast...